• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monty Panesar

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Glenn McGrath can not only become a serviceable fielder but a very safe pairs of hands and hold onto the occasional stunner, then Monty can. I don't know how many of you are young enough to remember but McGrath in the early days was probably a worse fielder than Monty (although definitely a better natural athlete). I remember him dropping several sitters, missing easy ground balls and just generally looking like he had no clue. Mind you, he tried his guts out and we've seen the results; he's one of the better outfielders in the world, especially on the ground.

I still laugh thinking about AB's face whenever another ball would go flying over McGrath's head at mid-off because he'd misjudged it and run in too far or something similar; you just KNOW he was thinking "Boy, the next spell you bowl better be a freakin' blinder!"

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
Which club side?

Read ended up batting below Gareth Batty in Sri Lanka last time around, I would seriously consider Giles at seven if Read was in the team.
I play for Stoke Gabriel

I've just had a thought. If G Jones and Hoggy were injured:

7) Read
8) Harmison!!!
9) Simon Jones
10) Anderson
11) Panesar.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Bob Bamber said:
I play for Stoke Gabriel

I've just had a thought. If G Jones and Hoggy were injured:

7) Read
8) Harmison!!!
9) Simon Jones
10) Anderson
11) Panesar.
Wats wrong with that?
Harmison would score more than hoggy and would be more entertaining...:blink:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Sometimes, it doesn't matter how much work you do on your fielding, you've just got no confidence in yourself to field a ball that comes at you. You misfield one in front of everyone, and the lack of confidence multiplies, again and again each time you stuff up.

Then when you have people giving you ironic cheers every time you go near the ball, it's not really going to help. The best way for Monty to build up that confidence is to have an off-season working on his fielding heaps, where he doesn't have to put it into a game situation for ages, and then raise his confidence AND technique away from the high pressure situation of Test match, or even FC, cricket.
Is that coming from personal experience?

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:
If Glenn McGrath can not only become a serviceable fielder but a very safe pairs of hands and hold onto the occasional stunner, then Monty can. I don't know how many of you are young enough to remember but McGrath in the early days was probably a worse fielder than Monty (although definitely a better natural athlete). I remember him dropping several sitters, missing easy ground balls and just generally looking like he had no clue. Mind you, he tried his guts out and we've seen the results; he's one of the better outfielders in the world, especially on the ground.

I still laugh thinking about AB's face whenever another ball would go flying over McGrath's head at mid-off because he'd misjudged it and run in too far or something similar; you just KNOW he was thinking "Boy, the next spell you bowl better be a freakin' blinder!"
And learn to bat as well!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to say I have my doubts as to whether Monster will ever improve to anything approaching an acceptable standard myself. I, for one, don't think his crapness has anything to do with any lack of effort on his part. If you look at the way he attacks the ball in the field it's obvious he really is trying his best.

I have to admit to not having seen much of the callow Pigeon in the field, but I think Monty is worse than Tuffers, Gus Fraser, Derek Pringle or any other iffy fielder we've had in my cricket-watching lifetime.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Fingers crossed he gets better and moves away from cult status into just excellent cricketer territory. Whatever, looking forward to seeing Turbanator II on Saturday.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
apparently he was wearing the wrong contact lenses, he now has new ones and should be collingwoodesque from now on

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Is that coming from personal experience?
Yeah, it is. The start of last season, I had done a shedload of fielding training, and for the first five or so games of the season I was one of the best fielders in the side. Then a few weeks without much work on it, and a couple of mistakes, and I had no confidence in myself every time the ball came to me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Isn't that the same of any person in the world?

I mean I'd be an International Cricketer if I copuld get my batting, bowling and fielding up to some standard!
you love to make yourself difficult don't you8-)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
about the contacts..it really does make a hel of a lot diffrence...I once lost a lens so I had to play with slightly old glasses, didnt see a thing!..
and once i put in lenses of 1 year back(my eyes changed a bit overtime) cuz I picked the wrong keeping box...went to training didnt see anything...well not a red ball anyway.
and fielding it is work hard on it..last year I was the crappies fielder in the 1st and 2nd team, these days Im one of the best high catches, and got a way better arm then last year!

cpr

International Coach
It is a fair point about lenses, my eyes are ever so slightly different (about 0.5 in it), but if i put my lenses in the wrong eyes (usually because i've taken them out and put them in the container the wrong way), its damn hard to focus on things!!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Yeah, it is. The start of last season, I had done a shedload of fielding training, and for the first five or so games of the season I was one of the best fielders in the side. Then a few weeks without much work on it, and a couple of mistakes, and I had no confidence in myself every time the ball came to me.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. My situaiton is a little different though. I can't bat and I can't bowl so fielding is the only enjoyment that I get out of cricket, and I'm pretty good at it, so when I have a terrible day and drop a sitter (or few) and miss a few easy ground balls, it does leave your confidence a little shaky, especially the next time that sitter lobs anywhere near you.