• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best ball ever?

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Definitely the Strauss ball at in the 2005 Ashes. Back when Warne got Gatting in 93 people didn't know what he was about. In 2005 for him to still be bowling that kind of stuff is amazing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mushtaq Ahmed bowls to Hick in a tight game. The ball drops short and Hick goes back to cut.
Hick does not even bring the bat down as instead of being where he thinks, the ball spins back at him and traps him plumb LBW.

One of the best googly's Ive ever seen bowl, Hick looks like a monkey and Pakistan win the World Cup.
Yep, remember that one well and still have the footage. The best part of it wasn't even the ball itself (although it was a great ball) but the set-up. Hick had hit some form in matches before that game and Mushie wrecked him. I just remember watching the deliveries before it and thinking that it was a matter of time before Hick got out. He looked shot and the wrong'un just put him out of his misery. Awesome leg-spin bowling.

And the two balls which Wasim bowled to knock over Lamb and Lewis with were, well, I've never seen balls move in the air that much before or since.

howardj

International Coach
Warne to Gatting.

Not just because of how much it spun, but more for the incredible amount of drift into Gatting.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I think the best ball I ever saw bowled while I was watching a game (TV or otherwise) would be Dion Nash bowling Jacques Kallis. From what I remember of it, the ball swung from about leg stump, pitched on off, seemed in and, natually, Kallis fell all over it and was bowled. Possibly from this game.

That's just what immediately comes to mind for me. The next was a ball Wasim Akram bowled to Chris Lewis (I think) years ago: from around the wicket the ball pitched outside off stump, seemed in, and bowled him. I can't really remember it all that well, but I just remember thinking it was unplayable.

howardj

International Coach
Macka said:
That's just what immediately comes to mind for me. The next was a ball Wasim Akram bowled to Chris Lewis (I think) years ago: from around the wicket the ball pitched outside off stump, seemed in, and bowled him. I can't really remember it all that well, but I just remember thinking it was unplayable.
1992 World Cup Final, I think.

Was a cracking delivery.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Simon Jones to Michael Clarke in the 2005 Ashes. Clarke left the ball, got his pad marginally outside the line of off-stump, and the ball swung around the pad to hit off. Sensational.

Flintoff to Hayden where it swung around his legs in the same series was magical, as was Warne to Strauss, which certainly spun the most of any ball I've ever seen.

The other highlights of Warne's career are the Gatting ball and the Stewart flipper. The Stewart delivery was genius because of how much it appeared like a regulation leg break until it hit the pitch. Indeed, it looked like a long hop, and Stewart went back to cut, and it skidded in and bowled him.

The Gatting ball is the greatest purely because of the circumstances. There are many deliveries you could compare in terms of quality, even others from the same bowler, but to bowl such a delivery as a virtually unknown quantity with your very first ball in Ashes tests is amazing. Warne could do the exact same thing today and it would never recieve comparable acclaim or attention.

nibbs

International Captain
Voltman said:
Shane Bond yorking Adam Gilchrist at the 2003 WC...

hmm, has he yorked him twice, cause the yorker he got gilchrist with at adelaide in 2002 was pretty fkn radical as well

reardonville

Cricket Spectator
He Didn't bowl gilly in that match, only lbw, i think that the ball your thinking of was at adelaide ovel in the 01-02 vb series, and yes that was my favourite ball ever bowled, complete did him

FRAZ

International Captain
1.Asif's ball to Laxman was a magic ball and I have never seen a better in-cutter than that ..
2.Aaqib Javed's delivery to Mark GB during world cup 92 ..
3.Shoaib's yorker to Tendulkar 99 was a classic
4.Shoaib's bouncer to Lara was a very dangerous one ( Though didn't get the wicket)
5.Malcom's Bouncer to Jonty was a nasty one too..
6.Hmmmm Imran's yorker to vishwanath was a ripper ..
7.Waqar's yorker to Lara (In which Lara fell down) was a classic one
8.Shane Warne's ball was a good one TBH (Though media hype'd it way more than the above mentioned deliveries )