• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does the County Championship need to be altered?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AussieDominance said:
In my Opinion the County Championship needs to be altered to make it a much stronger comp I am not suggesting which teams will be cut out but I think it should be a 10 team comp so it can produce the quality of cricket that is essential for England to have a smooth transition for a player coming on to the International Scene. I think the current number of 16 is too many.
This thread has gone into its second page without this being pointed out repeatedly.

Hang your heads in shame pedants.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
There should be 20 in my opinion.. 18 + Scotland & Ireland.. It would be great for the game in the long run..

And would probably have Ed Joyce scoring a hundred or two for Ireland at the World Cup...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I like it how it is now, personally. If you decreased the number of teams, then you'd have too many Kolpaks, and as it is, you get young guys getting a chance to prove themselves, because there isn't a logjam of players a la Australian domestic cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't see how Kolpaks can be a problem - just don't sign Kolpaks I mean they aren't forced to.

It's the clubs who choose to offer them contracts.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
Did the ECB ever bring in a proposed regulation for fining clubs with 'too many' Kolpak players? I remember they were talking about this at the end of last season but I've not heard anything since.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
not fining per se, they just get their handout based on the number of England eligible players in their side, it's either in now, or will be from next season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craig said:
I don't see how Kolpaks can be a problem - just don't sign Kolpaks I mean they aren't forced to.

It's the clubs who choose to offer them contracts.
Because if they're going to help you win the Championship, then you're probably going to sign them...

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I don't mind Kolpaks really, they are a good option for teams trying to build side through youth and needing a few experienced pros, especially if you have overseas players that are in their national teams' set-up.