• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Memorable Shots

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Given the fact that KPs reverse sweep for 6 yesterday (or do we call it a left handers slog sweep for 6) will live long in my memory what are the other most memorable shots that stick in your mind?

Often it is the case that 1 shot can overshadow a whole innings.
I would include KPs shot yesterday and off the top of my head I would add-

- Dermot Reeve sweeping Donald for 4 twice in an over in a World Cup game. I had to rub my eyes to believe it
and
- Botham hooking Lillee into the stands in '81 when he was not looking at the ball and would have been sconed if he missed it.

I've obviously watched more English cricket than others so my list is heavily weighted towards the English games.
What one or 2 shots stick in the mind of others around the world?

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Lee hitting that six at the GABBA against the Windies this summer, I can't remember who it was off from memory, maybe Dwayne Bravo?

Ricky Ponting v NZ in the 20/20 International match 2004/05 where he hit a ball off his pads so high I couldn't believe it.

Huss hitting the roof of the Dome.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Lee hitting that six at the GABBA against the Windies this summer, I can't remember who it was off from memory, maybe Dwayne Bravo?

Ricky Ponting v NZ in the 20/20 International match 2004/05 where he hit a ball off his pads so high I couldn't believe it.

Huss hitting the roof of the Dome.
Daren Powell. That was immense!

Flintoff clearing the pavilion roof at Edgbaston last summer sticks in the mind.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One which comes to mind for me is Kluesener's second boundary in the final over of the 99 WC semi, where he hit a perfect yorker from Fleming all along the ground for four through cover. The commentator (Manjrekar?) shouted "what kind of shot is that?! that's an unbelievable shot!". Great stuff.

Another is a fairly insignificant boundary that Michael Clarke hit during the CT semi in 2004 against England. Not sure who the bowler was, might have been Gough, but it was a square drive that shot to the boundary as quick as any I've seen. It was just perfect, and it was four before any fielder moved.

pasag

RTDAS
Symonds 6 off his first ball in the boxing day test against SA this year. His career was on the line, every single paper was calling for his head, he comes out, Aus are in a bit of trouble and hits a massive 6. I will never forget it.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Fatty inzimam, hitting that six, coming down the pitch, then kneeling and scoopin the ball up like some type of a golf swing. This was in the worldcup final in 92 against england and I think against lewis.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pietersen slugging Lee to the straight boundary off the back foot from a foot outside off at the Oval.

Pietersen carting Lee into the square leg stands in the same innings, off a ball that went at 97.4mph.

Pietersen stepping down the pitch to a Jason Gillespie bouncer in last year's Bristol ODI, and playing a topspin forehand over long-on.

You get the picture! :p :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Purely for the immense atmosphere and context, Brian Lara's pull shot to pass Sir Sobers. He actually touched his stumps in the process of that shot and I've got a book with a great photo of him completing the pull shot and looking down at the bails practically willing them to stay on.

Another Brian Lara classic was an effortless flick of a full length 88+mph delivery from Andre Nel over the midwicket fence. The fact that it was Nel getting smashed and that it was hit so comfortably off that length makes it special.

A third Brian Lara classic was the his improvised shuffle-and-scoop against New Zealand in the 2004 Natwest Series. He played the shot at least twice and all in all it was a sensational cameo in a rain-shortened game.

Younis Khan received a delivery from one of the minnow bowlers at the last World Cup. The ball slipped out of the bowler's hand and landed a foot or so off the pitch, bouncing 2 or three times I think. Younis was shocked at first, then he skipped across and drove it through the covers for four.

Ramnaresh Sarwan received a beamer from one of the Zimbabwean bowlers earlier this year. Brendan Taylor was up to the stumps and ducked for dear life when the ball was released. Sarwan calmly leaned back and played an uppercut dab and the ball flew away to the boundary.

Chris Gayle's one handed pull shot off Irfan Pathan for six. One hand. Irfan Pathan. Six. Classic.

Swervy

International Captain
Botham hitting McDermott first ball for 6 at Edgbaston in 85

King Viv hitting Hendrick for 6 last ball of the innings in 79 WC

Beleg

International Regular
Hansie Cronje dancing down the track and putting the ball on Sharjah's roof. (2000)
Inzamam hooking McGrath for a six (four?) at Leeds in 1999.
Ganguly slamming a Waqar Younis delivery for a six over mid-off (one of the Sahara cups) - one of the most authoritative shots I have ever witnessed.

Asif Mujtaba carting the last ball of a B&H match for a six to win Pakistan that game.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The only two comint to mind atm are:

Dwayne Smith's cover drive in his debut Test against South Africa. One of the few off side shots he played and it was a beauty.

Ian Bradshaw's four in the CT Final in 2004. Michael Holding called it and Bradshaw delivered it.

Majin

International Debutant
Matthew Hoggard creaming Brett Lee with the perfect cover drive for 4 out of absolutely nowhere.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Probably not the most memorable, but one that will always stick with me is Gillespie's six at Old Trafford last year. He'd just blocked for a couple of hours against some good bowling, but then he just rocked back and pulled it perfectly into the stands

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Jacob Oram's six against Australia in December 05 at Jade (previous world record chase). Absolutely immense, some guy found the ball in the Carpark after.

Astle's hattrick of 6s of the last three balls against WI at Jade.

both of which games i've been to:)