• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Memorable Shots

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Another is a fairly insignificant boundary that Michael Clarke hit during the CT semi in 2004 against England. Not sure who the bowler was, might have been Gough, but it was a square drive that shot to the boundary as quick as any I've seen. It was just perfect, and it was four before any fielder moved.
I think I know which one you are referring to. Afridi hit a similar shot in second test against England last year on the ball before he got out. I believe it was off Hoggard, I couldn't believe that shot came off Afridi of all people.

Matt79

Global Moderator
In terms of pure power, some of Symonds' shots in his Boxing Day test cameo were some of the cleanest, hardest shots I've ever seen. Anyone else remember the old bloke who caught one of them, what a champ!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
77.2 Giles to Mohammed, SIX, short short, pulled away over the midwicket
fence, good clean hit

or any of Loye's speciality sweeps

tooextracool

International Coach
steds said:
Nor does it being unorthodox make it wrong.
so you would recommend players reverse sweeping murali in tests then? i'd like to see how many people would have been satisfied with the shot had he been dismissed on that very delivery. And how long ago was it that people were on his back for playing a pull shot off a rubbish ball bowled by sreesanth?

tooextracool

International Coach
Matteh said:
Sorry but are you talking about the same Pietersen that batted really well and effectively won the Test, regardless of the occaisional reverse sweep?
there are 2 sides to a coin, you could hail him for his brilliant 142 and then you could blame him for starting the 5/5 collapse thereafter. Either way, a stupid stroke is a stupid stroke irrespective of when it is played, and the fact that he tried it again in the very next innings(and was almost dismissed) only makes his case worse.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
McGrath bowling to Giles - Gilo hit a backfoot pull down the ground for 4. The Oval 2005. Great Shot.

Strauss sweep. anytime he plays it. Wonderful shot.

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
90% of KPs shots are not text-book. Walking down the track to a seamer and hitting a ball from outside off through mid-wicket with only a flick of the wrists is not orthodox.
theres a fine line between being unorthodox and playing a poor stroke. I couldnt care less whether VVS laxman can flick a ball from outside off stump past mid on, i would simply consider that hes playing to his strength. If KP were to step a foot outside his off stump to play a shot through mid wicket, i wouldnt be worried too much either. Reverse sweeping one of the best spin bowlers ever in a test match is asking for trouble, especially when your team is not out of jail just yet.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Baconator said:
Probably not the most memorable, but one that will always stick with me is Gillespie's six at Old Trafford last year. He'd just blocked for a couple of hours against some good bowling, but then he just rocked back and pulled it perfectly into the stands
Definitely. Not only was it just a great shot, but it came out of nowhere

Matteh said:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

burr

State Vice-Captain
My all time favourite shot is by Damien Martyn 2001 Adelaide Oval when he was on 40 something I think during his innings of 124* against South Africa. It was a backfoot carress to the point boudnary off Shaun Pollock. His feet were perfect, tip toeing into position like a ballet dancer, and then he just stroked a perfectly good length ball past the cover fieldsman, all of whom didn't move. It was so perfect it was better than the text book. Lawry said it was the best shot you'll ever see...and he was right!

My second favourite shot is Shewag off McGrath during the fourth day of the Chennai test India v. Australia in 2004 in his second innings. It was an arrogant, brilliant backfoot drive down the ground past a stunned McGrath's outstretched hand, it was that good I'm glad the rain washed out the test the next day, as I fear we may have lost : )

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was that the last shot of the day before stumps on day 4?

That was a tremendous shot and really set up day 5 to be one of the best days of cricket you could imagine. Then the rain came :(

burr

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:

That was a tremendous shot and really set up day 5 to be one of the best days of cricket you could imagine. Then the rain came :(
Yeah it was! Now you say that I remember because part of what made it so brilliant was he hit it and then sort of in one movement continued walking off down the ground, in this nochalent mannor - it was classic Shewag.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there are 2 sides to a coin, you could hail him for his brilliant 142 and then you could blame him for starting the 5/5 collapse thereafter.
One guy, especially at Test level, cannot be blamed for how his team-mates to follow play. Particularly if his awesome knock kept his team in the game. Okay so the job wasn't done completely but if without his innings it was goodnight for his team, then I don't think there's anything but praise deserved. Blaming a guy for a poor shot in a tough circumstance is one thing but them blaming him for subsequent shots by people other than himself is nonsensical.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The one that springs to mind is Sobers belting Malcolm Nash into downtown Swansea - I swear he had both feet off the ground.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
Hansie Cronje hitting 2 consecutive sixes of Walsh in the match they lost to WI in WC 96 . He gave Walsh an ugly smile after that and Walsh just shook his head in displeasure .

Most of Marriliers shots that worked against McGrath and Zaheer Khan

Razzaq's 5th boundary against McGrath in one over in Aus

Ganguly's six against Murali at Taunton that landed in the river

Amir Sohails four against Prasad in WC96 and his pointing to the boundary for Prasad's benefit (prolly remember it so well for what followed :D )

Ricky Ponting twirling around and hitting a bad shot which went rows back in WC 2003 final against Zaheer Khan

Tendulkar stepping out and slamming Brandes over long on for six at Benoni ( The commentator was exclaiming "Maximum" or something along those lines)

Yuvraj Singh hoisting Bravo over the covers in the last over in the 2nd match of the recently concluded one day series also deserves a honourable mention

archie mac

International Coach
Jono said:

I was so upset when that 5th day was washed away, it inspired me to write a poem, which they were nice enough to publish in "inside cricket' :)