• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Memorable Shots

Eclipse

International Debutant
Gilly bringing up his ton on his first ashes tour playing the ball over the keepers head to the boundry..

Those two last over boundrys by Klusener in the 1999 WC semi final

Ponting charging Zaheer Khan ajusting and hooking the ball for six.

Lee at the GABBA

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Knott for England against Jeff Thomson at Headingley in 1975.
It was a good length ball from Thomson which Knott at first stepped outside the leg stump to, he then moved slightly inside the line and swung it over square leg into the back row of the crowd for 6.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Other than KP's unbelievable a few others are:

1.Lee's six of Powell at the Gabba 2004

2.Gilchrist pull for six of Ntni at Jo'Burg 2002

3.Cairns unbelivable six off Warne at the jade stadium in 2000

4.Tendulkars six of Caddick in the 2003 WC at Durban

5.Lara unbelievable cover drive off Warne in Jamaica 1999, no one moved

6.Tendulkar straight six of Robertson in Chennai 98, it went over the roof & all those who know that ground they have some huge stands

7.KP straight pull of Lee at the Oval at 95 plus mph, that was freaky

8.Flintoff's superb straught six of Akram in Karachi 99, one of the best straight hits i've ever seen

9.Gilly's traditional slog to cowie corner of Vettori, the best one was at the Gabba 2004

10.KP slog vs Warne at the Oval, absolute beauty

11.Dwayne Smith authentic smash over mid-wicket off Harmison in St.Lucia

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Ben Hollioake off McGrath, 1997 (the straight drive for four, stand and deliver).
Neil Carter vs Lancs in a B&H semi final (2002) (flicked full ball over fine leg for four).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Carlton Baugh slashing anything short in the general direction of slip at about Harmison's head height.

(you said memorable, not good)

JBH001

International Regular
Sanath Jayasuriya square cutting Hollioke (I think) for six with both feet off the ground, to wrap up the win against England at the Oval in 1998.
(I close my eyes and I can still see it)

Isolator

State 12th Man
Astle charging Caddick - massive lofted drive over long on...out of the ground. HUGE shot. This was in his 222. Anyone who saw that innings will remember the shot.

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
Given the fact that KPs reverse sweep for 6 yesterday (or do we call it a left handers slog sweep for 6) will live long in my memory what are the other most memorable shots that stick in your mind?

Often it is the case that 1 shot can overshadow a whole innings.
I would include KPs shot yesterday and off the top of my head I would add-
if Pietersen's reverse sweep off murali was memorable then it should be memorable for its stupidity. How any fool can try to reverse sweep one of the best spin bowlers ever in a test match when his team is hardly out of trouble is an absolute joke. Not surprisingly he got out not long after. Then of course after claiming that it was 'naughty' and he wouldnt try it again, he had the audacity to try it again in the 2nd inninngs and was lucky to have survived, before being dismissed not long after.In Faislabad soon after he got to his 100 with a hook for 6 of Akhtar he tried to repeat it the very next ball only to get dismissed. If Pietersen cannot survive these adrenaline rushes hes going to waste a lot of his talent, and it would be an absolute catastrophe if that were the case.

tooextracool

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
The only two comint to mind atm are:

Dwayne Smith's cover drive in his debut Test against South Africa. One of the few off side shots he played and it was a beauty.
ive always been impressed by people who can cover drive sixes in big grounds. I remember Ganguly cover driving pollock for a 6 in one of the ODIs down in SA in the standard bank triangular in 2001, and the remarkable feat about the shot was that it was inside out.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
It worked though!
a lot of things work, you can edge the ball through slips and get 4 for it and claim that it worked. Just because something works it doesnt make it right. and its questionable as to whether it worked when he was dismissed on both occasions not long after playing or attempting to play that stroke. If England wonder why they can never finish games off, its because people like Pietersen continue to bat like imbeciles when they should be trying to bat their opposition out of the game. I'm beginning to think the only person who has any common sense in the England side is also their youngest(or one of their youngest) - Alistair Cook.

Majin

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
ive always been impressed by people who can cover drive sixes in big grounds. I remember Ganguly cover driving pollock for a 6 in one of the ODIs down in SA in the standard bank triangular in 2001, and the remarkable feat about the shot was that it was inside out.
How do you mean it was Inside out? o:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
a lot of things work, you can edge the ball through slips and get 4 for it and claim that it worked. Just because something works it doesnt make it right. and its questionable as to whether it worked when he was dismissed on both occasions not long after playing or attempting to play that stroke. If England wonder why they can never finish games off, its because people like Pietersen continue to bat like imbeciles when they should be trying to bat their opposition out of the game. I'm beginning to think the only person who has any common sense in the England side is also their youngest(or one of their youngest) - Alistair Cook.
Sorry but are you talking about the same Pietersen that batted really well and effectively won the Test, regardless of the occaisional reverse sweep?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
90% of KPs shots are not text-book. Walking down the track to a seamer and hitting a ball from outside off through mid-wicket with only a flick of the wrists is not orthodox.

The reason he is playing for England (leaving the quota system aside) is that he was always judged by conservative South African coaches in Natal and they were more interested in classical batting rather than production.

KPs is a different cat and the fact he plays audatious shots after getting big scores is just how he is.

Stealing a line from Bridget Jones, KP "I like you very much. Just as you are"

PY

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Haha yes, that shot was huuuuuuge.
That's exactly what Mark Nicholas says when Flintoff hit Lee over the Edgbasten stands last yr.

And one of Lee's effort will stick in the memory, where he absolutely mowed Harmison I think it was out the ground and it was only just on it's downward part as it went over the stands.

Throw in Harmison's dance down the pitch to Warne and executed a textbook lofted straight drive for humour.

Zulu hit some pretty mighty strikes against England in '98(?) with his club of a bat.

archie mac

International Coach
Mark Waugh stepping down the pitch and straight driving Vettori an amazing distance at the Adelaide oval.

Lance Cairns playing one handed leg side shots into the top deck at the MCG

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
The reason he is playing for England (leaving the quota system aside) is that he was always judged by conservative South African coaches in Natal and they were more interested in classical batting rather than production.
The reason he didn't play for South Africa is he was a mediocre off-spinner when he played there who only showed flashes of batting skill.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
The reason he didn't play for South Africa is he was a mediocre off-spinner when he played there who only showed flashes of batting skill.
Well yes, but only because his batting talent was not recognized by small-minded coaches and he was told he could not bat high in the order and must work on his off-spinners.

He batted at around 8 for Natal and that is when he was selected (no sure thing).

50 on debut against England and then dropped.

The coaches in SA are very conservative and he was denied opportunities to bat higher and prove himself because they did not like his style.