• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever medium pacer?

pup11

International Coach
PIDGE!! Who else?

Glen McGrath my undisputed choice there are times when stats tells only half of the story same with pidge his stats will say how many wickets he took but it won't tell you how many wickets his partners got due to relentless pressure he created and his accuracy is one which might make a bowling machine look poor.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh, uh...

Seriously, how often to you see top-class batsmen simply beaten for pace - late on a stroke simply because of the speed of the delivery.

Almost never.

I can honestly only think of one occasion in my cricket-watching time that I've seen a genuine batsman lose his wicket by being beaten purely and simply by pace - this game here.

And this is completely different to being beaten by change of pace, as many people were by Anderson Roberts' quicker one and many people's slower ones.
No idea how old you are (though your lifelong devotion to United mentioned in another thread gained you a lot of credibility in my eyes ;)), but I take it you weren't around to see MA Holding's over to Boycott at Bridgetown in 81? I have to admit to only having read about it many times, but I've never seen it, whether live, on tape, or even on YouTube, so if anyone has a link I'd be grateful. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That over is reputed to be the "greatest of all-time" (may be over-egging it a bit, but you get the picture). I've seen 3 of the 6 balls.

And if pace was all there was to it, it'd not have been such. The ball was going all over the place, at high speed, and every ball was in the right areas.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath is not medium pace. He's bit above it IMO.

best medium pacer in test cricket - Lohmann. No one can beat his record. When considering modern bowlers, Vass is quite special at a pace of 73-78 mph. Vaas was once a bowler who can get to 85mph regularly, but that was about 7-8 years back. He gradually have slown down.

Maharoof is too quick for a medium pacer. Gets to high 80s when on song. Otherwise he is 80-85mph bowler.

Best ODI medium pacer - a toss between Gavin Larsen and Chaminda Vaas.

JBMAC

State Captain
Best Medium Pacers

Lohman
Ken Mackay
Doug Walters
Gary Cosier
Garry Gilmour
All of these haved proved Match winners

pasag

RTDAS
Please take note of the forum rules:

Digging Threads - Please do not dig up old threads unless there is something of value being contributed by the dig. Pointless digs may lead to an official warning and excessive digging and spamming of the forum may lead to an instant seven day ban.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Stop mentioning mcgrath he was medium fast. Averaged about 130s. I think we all know what a medium pace is and its someone like symonds. I vote Terry Alderman. He was a brilliant swing bowler and I think many forget how good he was.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Bedser must have been medium pace, as Evans stood up to the stumps when keeping to him. Maybe Bedser is the best ever medium pacer.

Or, if you say Barnes was a medium pacer, then you must surely concede that he was the best ever, by some distance.

JBMAC

State Captain
Gary Gimour, how many matches?
TESTS

number.....15 (1973-77)
wickets..... 54 @ 26.04
Best Innings......6/85
Best Match........9/157
Econ rate......3.17

ODIs

number......5
wickets.....16 @ 10.31
Econ rate.....3.09
strike rate.....20.00

Listed as left arm medium pace bowler.

bond21

Banned
only person I rate as express now is Lee.

Tait is but hes not playing, Akhtar can be but he doesnt bowl fast all the time.

McGrath wasnt a medium pacer, someone like Styris or Collingwood are medium pacers. McGrath used to crank it up over 140 on occasions a few years ago, and has slowed down since, but still 130.