Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ever medium pacer?

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Take your point, but I've also seen Shane Warne bowl a bouncer - doesn't mean he was a fast medium bowler.
    I once saw Phil Edmonds warned in a Test Match for bowling two consecutive bouncers during the time when the one bouncer per over rule was in place.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Sorry Gelman.
    Interesting that you made the effort to change the pasag to Gelman in there. Even I almost never do that.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Have seen both crank it up to 130kph on quite a few occasions. Can't classify that as medium pace.
    I think you can. Bowling predominantly in the mid 120s and relying on a lot on change of pace and variations is indeed medium pace IMO, regardless of whether you can bowl a quicker ball at 132 or not. I've seen Damien Martyn fire one down at 134 and Marlon Samuels's quicker ball has touched 130 on occassions as well, as an off spinner. It's not about what your fastest ball is, but what speed you normally bowl at and what tools you rely on.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I think speed guns add deception to what can be classified as medium pace. Remember that the important speed is the one in which it reaches the batsman and how long it takes to do so. James Hopes, for example, is most certainly a medium pace bowler, regardless of clocking 130kph. Gilchrist can stand up to him comfortably and batsmen can always move their feet in time to play a shot easily. Irfan Pathan is another example, he has clocked 140kph since his comeback, but anyone who says that he is anything more than medium pace is kidding themselves. Dhoni can stand up easily and I can't remember the last time a batsman played him with anything less than plenty of time.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, because that's the only time Tait has ever bowled.
    So?
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Not sure I agree with Vaas, Pollock, maybe even Dev being comfortably better than Fazal.
    That's interesting. I would have thought such a view pathetically iconoclastic, bordering on unholdable, before coming by you and Bhupinder. Why do you feel that way?

Botham was more fast than medium most of his career wasn't he?
    Aye. That's why I qualified the list at the end of my post.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 15-02-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    one of my favourite ever players, as you say, extremely underated, a very clever bowler, and very handy with the bat as well, the exact kind of player england could do with in their one day side really.
    I was most excited about his arrival on the South African domestic scene. Alas, he failed dismally.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Fazal was better than all not bolded.
    Your blinkered arrogance annoys me; so, too, does your dearth of knowledge about cricket. If you are going to make such pig-headed, revisionist declarations, I would highly suggest that you back them up.

So let's start with the first man on my list. What had Fazal that Boyle did not?
    Last edited by neville cardus; 15-02-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting that you made the effort to change the pasag to Gelman in there. Even I almost never do that.
    Them trolls are a fascinating lot.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 15-02-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Your blinkered arrogance annoys me; so, too, does your dearth of knowledge about cricket. If you are going to make such pig-headed, revisionist declarations, I would highly suggest that you back them up.

So let's start with the first man on my list. What had Fazal that Boyle did not?
    Neville,I'm not arguing that Fazal was miles ahead of them but that he was not lesser than any of those based on the fact that I mentioned in one of my previous posts in this thread.If Boyle had to play on flattest tracks of subcontinent for a significant part of his career,I doubt he would've achieved even half of what he did.He played on too bowling friendly wickets to be considered better than Fazal Mahmood.BTW averaging 20 in tests playing before turn of the 20th century means you were just a fine bowler,nothing more than that.

Out of all those bowlers barring Barnes & perhaps Spofforth would struggle to make my top 25
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 15-02-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    That's interesting. I would have thought such a view pathetically iconoclastic, bordering on unholdable, before coming by you and Bhupinder. Why do you feel that way?
    Not sure why that is so, as Fazal's first class career speaks for itself. Not many average as low as he did in FC in 100+ matches on Pakistani wickets. For the record, I didn't call Fazal better than those players I mentioned, just that I didn't feel they were comfortably better than him. The way I see it, Fazal made the most of the chances he got on the international level. Even if we ignore the fact that he played with a lot less consistency than the ones I mentioned, his record is quite impressive considering the different conditions he strove in. He absolutely dominated many strong teams of that era. I don't quite see how it is so unbelievable that he was as good as, if not better than, the likes of Pollock, Vaas, or Dev.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Neville,I'm not arguing that Fazal was miles ahead of them but that he was not lesser
    Really? You said something completely at odds with that in the relevant post.

than any of those based on the fact that I mentioned in one of my previous posts in this thread.
    And I am not suggesting that you were suggesting what you claim you were not suggesting; I am merely responding to the explicit contention that "Fazal was better than all not bolded", as ought to have been obvious from the fact that it was the only part of your post that I quoted.

If Boyle had to play on flattest tracks of subcontinent for a significant part of his career,I doubt he would've achieved even half of what he did.He played on too bowling friendly wickets to be considered better than Fazal Mahmood.BTW averaging 20 in tests playing before turn of the 20th century means you were just a fine bowler,nothing more than that.
    A touch more research might show you that, by Boyle's time, the standard of wickets was on the up. He was not merely a sticky-track bully who knew nothing of the shirt front; he played at the Oval both in 1880 and 1884.

Out of all those bowlers barring Barnes & perhaps Spofforth would struggle to make my top 25
    That is hardly surprising, given that medium-pace bowling is so notoriously unpenetrative, but what's wrong with Bedser and Tate?
    Last edited by neville cardus; 16-02-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Not sure why that is so, as Fazal's first class career speaks for itself. Not many average as low as he did in FC in 100+ matches on Pakistani wickets. For the record, I didn't call Fazal better than those players I mentioned, just that I didn't feel they were comfortably better than him. The way I see it, Fazal made the most of the chances he got on the international level. Even if we ignore the fact that he played with a lot less consistency than the ones I mentioned, his record is quite impressive considering the different conditions he strove in. He absolutely dominated many strong teams of that era. I don't quite see how it is so unbelievable that he was as good as, if not better than, the likes of Pollock, Vaas, or Dev.
    We have to keep in mind that cricket in Pakistan was not of the same standard in the 'fifties as it is now, which might account for his extraordinarily low first-class average. Also, were pitches in that corner of the globe really as flat and well-prepared then as they are now?

As regards his Test average, it really isn't anything special when you compare it to those of his contemporaries. Batting had waned somewhat in the wake of Bradman's retirement, and bowling figures were very often of the kind that would render one great today.

First Class Debutant
    Fazal Mahmood, the exceptionally talented Pakistani fast bowler and captain who engineered some of his country's famous Test match triumphs, has died, aged 78. He was often compared with Alec Bedser, who said of him: "If cricket was played as much in those days as now, Fazal would have taken a thousand wickets."

Fazal was a thinking, right-arm bowler, who used his great height and long arms tellingly, and was a master of nagging, persistent length. He was the scourge of batsmen on a matting wicket, but could be equally dangerous on grass, with his varied swing and a judicious mix of leg-cutters and break-backs. Denis Compton found him "unplayable on his day", while the Australian Neil Harvey believed he could make the ball "talk".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/S...496998,00.html

Banned
    That is hardly surprising, given that medium-pace bowling is so notorious unpenetrative, but what's wrong with Bedser and Tate?
    Bedser would make it but Tate won't.Ofcourse,Tate was a great bowler but I there have been atleast 25 better bowlers than him.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information