• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone explain these hours of play?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was indulging in my favourite pastime of looking back at England's Test Cricket Series in the 70's and found something I quite understand. I was reading the rules and regulations for the summer of 1973 against New Zealand and the West Indies and the hours of play were as follows;

Start - 11:30am
Lunch - 01:30pm - 02:10pm
Tea - 04:15pm - 04:35pm
Stumps 06:30pm

This rather curiously leaves the middle session as 2 hours 5 minutes and the final session as 1 hour 55 minutes. Why the slight imbalance? Why not just three 2 hour sessions?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know what the answer is but no doubt tradition is behind it - two thoughts

i) In days of yore lunch was 45 minutes

ii) and I dont know when this stopped, there used to be a lot of meeting monarchs etc going on just after the lunch breaks

archie mac

International Coach
No mention in Wisden (that I could find), although I was surprised by the amount of FC matches NZ and the WI played

I also had a look in Seasons Past, which has different writers keeping a diary of different years in English cricket. For 1973 it was Mike Brearley but alas he makes no mention of it. Although he does think a young Oxford player was a good prospect, his name: Imran Khan:)

I read this book many years ago, I remember the diaries of Alan Gibson being the best, although they were all quite good- Arlott, Lewis and Roebuck being the others:)

stumpski

International Captain
I can remember Tests starting at 11.30 in England, they did that until around 1980 I think (may have been the same for the Championship). I'd forgotten the curious session durations though.