• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it the end for Tendulkar??

Nishant

International 12th Man
Tendulkar rules himself out of the west indies tour and still is not sure abt his future.

i say he'll play in the WC and den retire!

adharcric

International Coach
He'll be back in the next series. I'd hope he can stay till the end of 2007 in one form at least, but I'm not so sure.

sideshowtim

Banned
The Indian Cricket Board need to take a good, long hard look at themselves. Tendulkar's injuries have been a result of him playing way too many games in such a short period of time. All in the face of making more money. I don't think we'll ever seen him hit the heights he once did, but remember, he is a champion batsman and form is only temporary, so I'd back him to come back and prove us all wrong one day. Anyway, less games for players please otherwise we'll be having this happen to the superstars of our games more often.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
sideshowtim said:
The Indian Cricket Board need to take a good, long hard look at themselves. Tendulkar's injuries have been a result of him playing way too many games in such a short period of time. All in the face of making more money.
maybe, plenty of other players haven't suffered as much though and have played as much cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
age_master said:
maybe, plenty of other players haven't suffered as much though and have played as much cricket.

True, but then the others haven't been playing international cricket for sixteen years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

True, but then the others haven't been playing international cricket for sixteen years.
Which is more to the point, really; Tendy has been playing for so long that physical decline is going to happen and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who played for 16 years, regardless of playing intensity, who DOESN'T display injuries like Sachin has.

Aside from that, he started young before his body was fully developed. Playing for 16 years at the top level having started so young would put a greater strain than someone who started at, say 22 and finished up at 38.

Anyway, less games for players please otherwise we'll be having this happen to the superstars of our games more often.
I doubt it. Players physical well-beaing is looked after better these days. Players miss games with small injuries these days, unlike the bad old days when you'd the ludicrous situation of someone like Jeff Thomson playing his first Test with a broken foot. Ricky Ponting has played 100 Tests in less than 10 years of Test cricket (being dropped a couple of times along the way) and he's at his peak. Guys like Ponting and the much older guys still playing Test cricket in the Aussie team and doing well is a testament to their training. As I said above, Sachin starting so young coupled with a heavy (but no heavier than anyone else) workload, more than scheduling, has probably been a big factor in his physical decline.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Nishant said:
Tendulkar rules himself out of the west indies tour and still is not sure abt his future.

i say he'll play in the WC and den retire!
Beg your pardon. :sleep:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Sachin :(

Looking like he'll retire from ODIs after the WC.

If he does, and as widely believed so does Inzi, it will be the end of two of my favorite players of all time.

Top_Cat

Chuck Lara in there and it'll be even more tragic.
Why? Everyone has to go sometime and all three can definitely be said to have showed the world pretty much everything they've got.

Me, I'm looking forward to seeing who emerges out of their shadows once they're gone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because no matter how many champions arise since them, the great batsman you grew up watching always have a place in your heart and its hard to see them go.

I love watching Dravid, Ponting, Kallis and the newer brigade with Hussey and KP coming to the fore etc but when it comes down to it, I still remember as a 10 year old being amazed by Sachin and Lara and I still remember having arguments with my awesome grade 4 teacher that Sachin was the best in the world, whilst he'd argue Steve Waugh was. :D Lucky he and I supported the same AFL team.

I think its just natural to feel emotionally attached to the players you grew up admiring. I know I was sad when Richie Richardson left the scene, not because I loved him as a batsman, but because I was always fascinated by his awesome hat he'd wear while batting. :cool:

Top_Cat

I think its just natural to feel emotionally attached to the players you grew up admiring. I know I was sad when Richie Richardson left the scene, not because I loved him as a batsman, but because I was always fascinated by his awesome hat he'd wear while batting.
:cry:

Now you've gone and done it! Why did you have to bring up Ritchie's hat?!

Come back, hat; COME BACK!!!

I remember being distraught when he stopped wearing it and started wearing a helmet after his comeback. I thought it very sad that a player, ordinarily a perfect example of confidence, would wear a helmet. I mean, Richie wearing a helmet?! Unthinkable! I felt at the time that he'd lost half of his intimidation factor with the loss of that hat when everyone else was scrambling for a helmet. Some of the daring of the hook shot was lost when players starting wearing helmets on a regular basis.

Below is a picture of the hat in full-cry on top of some guy's head I can't quite remember right now.

RIP Richie's Hat.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, what a hat that was. To be honest it deserves its own appreciation society.

RIP Richie's Hat. :(

Matt79

Global Moderator
Remember the massive (3 metre diameter) hats people in the crowd's used to wear in tribute to The Hat. Probably be banned by the fun police these days.

C_C

International Captain
TC- i think Tendulkar has had a much heavier workload than anyone else in cricket over the past 15 years - India played a ton of ODIs in the mid-late 90s- IIRC, India was playing something like 8-10 tests and 35-40 ODIs a year during that period.

Anyways - i think this idea of not comming back before september or october is awesome for Tendy- he is still young and assuch, once he regains his fitness, his runs should flow - the 6-7 month layoff should give his body plenty of time to heal.

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:
Why? Everyone has to go sometime and all three can definitely be said to have showed the world pretty much everything they've got.

Me, I'm looking forward to seeing who emerges out of their shadows once they're gone.
Probably chuck in McGrath, Gilchrist (ODIs at the very least) and a few others.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What a mass exodus this will be......

So many all time greats going...and to fill their shoes, we have......a resurgent AA.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
What a mass exodus this will be......

So many all time greats going...and to fill their shoes, we have......a resurgent AA.
isn't aa sorta forever???:laugh: