• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden almost twice as good as Slater, Langer and Taylor combined

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you have a look at baggygreen.com.au there is an online vote for who is the best opener - Slater, Langer, Taylor or Hayden. Hayden is well ahead of any of the others with 64% of the vote (4432 votes) following behind is Langer 13.7% (950 votes), Taylor 11.7% (810 votes) and in last place is Slater 10.6% (738 votes). If you add up the total votes between Langer, Slater and Taylor (2498) it is just over half of the votes that Hayden received with 36% of the total votes.

So, the wider public has spoken; "Hayden is the best opener." Although the voting will probably now change I've alerted the forum to this vote.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Hayden first for me, followed by Slater as he is the only RHB in the list.. apart from that reason, it has to be Taylor, he is quite good..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought you had figured out a way statistically to prove it or something, and I was waiting for Richard to enter this thread going on about his usual thing, and then this would become another regular "Hayden = FTB" vs "No he's not, he averages over 50, he's the best Australian opener ever" argument.

Instead its just random people voting Hayden on a poll. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is my favourite of the group, and I'd say I enjoyed all of them as batsmen more than Hayden, but Hayden is somewhat underrated on this forum I think, and his achievements are ignored for one reason or another. He's certainly one of the great openers.

oz_fan

International Regular
I think a lot of people voting may forget how good Taylor and Slater were as openers. There is definitely not that big a margin between the 4. If I was to rate them I would have:
1. Taylor
2. Hayden
3. Slater
4. Langer

Son Of Coco

I think Taylor and Slater faced tougher attacks than Hayden has (with the exception of Hayden at the start of his career). I would have trouble ranking them though.

pasag

RTDAS
With regards to the poll, people are very short sighted. When you listen to commentators they are always saying that was the best ever catch or that was the best bowl. Noone ever looks at things in perspective. That being said, Hayden is the best.

Son Of Coco

pasag said:
With regards to the poll, people are very short sighted. When you listen to commentators they are always saying that was the best ever catch or that was the best bowl. Noone ever looks at things in perspective. That being said, Hayden is the best.
:laugh: :laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bugger the stats, Paul Nobes was the best opener Australia never saw, closely followed by Greg Blewett, Andrew Hilditch, Wayne Phillips, Les Favell, Martin Faull, Ashley Hammond, Huntley Armstrong, Noel Fielke and Ben Johnson.

Everyone else pales in comparison.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Completely understand what you mean

sideshowtim

Banned
Hayden is the best easily. A magnificent batsman who has scored a ridiculous number of hundreds considering he hasn't played near 100 tests yet.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Taylor is time-tested, so that's a tough act to follow. Slater was just plain flashy, Langer just sticky, while Hayden has got the best of all styles. Strangely, he's out of favour in ODI's.