• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden almost twice as good as Slater, Langer and Taylor combined

Craig

World Traveller
Personally I think it is good that Heyden isn't in the ODI team - it can extend his career in that he doesn't have to play as much so thus his workload isn't as high and his form since then hasn't been too shaby.

archie mac

International Coach
Arjun said:
Taylor is time-tested, so that's a tough act to follow. Slater was just plain flashy, Langer just sticky, while Hayden has got the best of all styles. Strangely, he's out of favour in ODI's.
Although I remember an innings Slater played aganist England at the SCG, wich very few other Test cricketers could have played.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Although I remember an innings Slater played aganist England at the SCG, wich very few other Test cricketers could have played.
I remember several knocks in Slater's career which were in that league. Slats was awesome because he overcame a lot just to make the Aussie team and brought a real passion to the opener's role which was what Australian needed after the dour (but effective) offerings of Marsh and Boon for years. Early on in his career, he was a picture of technical precision too, hardly just a slogger. I do remember in his last comeback Slater getting out A LOT playing with an angled bat outside off-stump and getting caught at slip. He definitely didn't look as mobile for the last few years of his career and I think that was related to his physical deterioration.

PY

International Coach
Slater is the one I have the most respect for given his problems and style of cricket but I don't think you can definitively split them in cricketing sense.

I'd prefer to watch:

1) Slater
2) Langer
3) Taylor
4) Hayden

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mine would be:
1) Langer
2) Hayden
3) Slater
4) Taylor

by no means a criticism of Slater or Taylor, all 4 are top drawer players - although I think Taylor maybe just slightly, and i mean very slightly overrated as a btsman. best captain i've seen though.

slater and hayden would be my favourites to watch when in good form - its a shame the stars never aligned for them to bat together when both in form...