• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The other Fred's biggest battle

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Frederick Sewards Trueman is the man to whom I refer, of course. Whilst reading Mike Selvey's column in today's Guardian I was saddened to learn the great man is suffering from lung cancer. Full article here:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,1778542,00.html

Just to wish him & his loved ones all the best on the long, hard road ahead. Hopefully he'll get the same result as his rival for Greatest Living Yorkshireman, Sir Geoffrey Boycott, did in his battle with the big C.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Heard about this a few days ago. Very sad news. All the best to him and the family - if anyone's made of strong enough stuff to come through this, it's Fred.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
It's hardly a quality field.

And that honour actually goes to Roger Millward, btw.
If it pains you that Fiery is a Yorkie, just think of him as an ex-Derbyshire player and then you can think kindly of him. :)

Incidentally, Eddie Barlow's ashes were scattered on the outfield yesterday.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was never his biggest fan despite him coming from and working in the pit at the small village my mum comes from, Maltby.

However, its always sad to hear such things and I wish him all the best.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Knowing Trueman he'll probably berate it, insult it and threaten it with an afternoon with Boycott talking about all the ducks in his career and how they where wrong or biased.

Good luck Fred.

archie mac

International Coach
CW posted an article about Fred on the front page earlier in the week.

Sad news, one of my favourite stories is the one where he beats and bowls a young batsman with a great delivery, on leaving the crease the defeated batsman said to Fred' great ball that'. Fred replied 'Aye, but wasted on thee'

Hope he makes a full recovery:(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
My favourite Fred-ism came via Mike Smedley many years ago....

Fred bowled a bouncer, nearly took Smedley's head off.

<Mike> Is that all you've got, Fred?
<Fiery> Fook off