• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell– your opinion?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is potentially one of the biggest debates after Lara v/s Tendulkar, Warne v/s Murali and Ganguly's place in the Indian team. Ever since Greg Chappell was appointed as coach of the Indian cricket team, he's created a storm wherever he has gone. Be it the appointment of two unusual experts, alleged comments on Ganguly (as well as the latter's retort), frequent experimentation and off-the-line plans, he's been a newsmaker in Indian cricket as national coach.

His freak tactics have not gone down too well with most fans, especially supporters of Ganguly, whom Chappell doesn't like, if they are to be believed– frankly, not. Fans and editors on some cricket portals and websites have often run anti-Chappell propaganda for a long time. Now, I'd like to know what is your perception on Chappell as India coach, here on CW.

Chappell, to be honest, is not one of the nicest blokes in the scene. His alleged antics in Kolkata as well as one where he slammed a car door on a journalist often rub fans the wrong way. However, as a strategist, his 'methods in madness' have worked quite often, and in a team that was stagnating for a long time, they've come as fresh relief. From pushovers in ODI's, the Indian side have become a competitive unit. They struggled to win ODI tournaments, even at home against minnows. Now, they've won three out of the last five ODI series, with the other two being saved. And they've won three before they were over, including one in Pakistan.

He's not been so successful in Test matches, but they haven't played too many since he took over, and there's no reason why the Indians can't carry on that form. The one thing I am doubtful about is the appointment of a 'biomechanist' and 'kinesiologist', two kinds of experts many don't consider important for a cricket team. He's often said that the Indian team doesn't need a bowling coach, a demand of many fans. The de Bono methods won't have results overnight, nor will most of his methods, but Chappellway seems just right for this team.

CW members, what is your opinion of the performance of the new Indian coach? The next best thing for Indian cricket? Or just a lot of hype and no substance? Or, as those renegade sites say, a foreign threat? Have your say.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greg Chappell wasn't much of a captain, didn't really lead South Australia to glory in teh years he was coach here and I've no reason to suspect he'll do any different for Indian cricket. He's not got quite the common touch his brother had and I think he struggles to relate to those who aren't as talented as he was. Ian Chappell ALWAYS backed his players whereas I don't think Greg is of the same ilk, preferring to lead by example (which works in a strong team).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
18 wins out of 24 matches.

The End
And his test performance ??

I think it is too early to tell and I will give him time to fix our test performance. I four ODI performance is at the expense of our test performance then I would say he has failed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
18 wins out of 24 matches.

The End
But wait... there's a sequel. India's recent test record!

I am for Chappell atm, but don't pretend like winning ODIs yet losing test matches (and series) makes him a successful coach.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SHRUG, we havent played enough test matches under him to come to any conclusions regarding test matches.

So far, I rate his performance as an 'A'. If we win the world cup, then his test match record is irrelevent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It becomes less of a problem yes, but I wouldn't say irrelevant. We've had this discussion before regarding you underrated test cricket. Say we dominate the tournament and go undefeated but lose in the final, on top of beating WI 5-0 and winning more ODIs inbetween the WI tour and the World Cup. We've still won like 90% of ODIs, yet didn't win the WC, and have a crap test record. Its not so pretty then.

Anyway under Chappell we've not won two series that, before the series started, we should have won IMO.

The first two tests of the Pak tour were mickey mouse, but we had Pakistan on the ropes and let them not only get away, but thrash us. Then England pretty much undermanned and playing in foreign conditions, yet drew the series.

All I'll say is, a test series loss to WI would be a massive dent in Chappell's armour. I'm for him, and I like the fact that he's our coach atm, but the results gotta come in the longer form of the game. Plain and simple.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
It becomes less of a problem yes, but I wouldn't say irrelevant. We've had this discussion before regarding you underrated test cricket. Say we dominate the tournament and go undefeated but lose in the final, on top of beating WI 5-0 and winning more ODIs inbetween the WI tour and the World Cup.
Then it might matter. But right now, it doesn't.

Jono said:
Anyway under Chappell we've not won two series that, before the series started, we should have won IMO.

The first two tests of the Pak tour were mickey mouse, but we had Pakistan on the ropes and let them not only get away, but thrash us. Then England pretty much undermanned and playing in foreign conditions, yet drew the series.
Its not fair to judge Chappell on that. That's a very limited sample, and Pakistan game was just a one-off series for all practical purposes.

jono said:
All I'll say is, a test series loss to WI would be a massive dent in Chappell's armour. I'm for him, and I like the fact that he's our coach atm, but the results gotta come in the longer form of the game. Plain and simple.
Yes, because India had a long and full history of winning test series overseas before Chappell , right? He needs at least a years worth of more trials before an accurate reflection is made. Let's say he wins both WI and SA...my opinion still won't be made up, until two or three more series in the future.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Its not fair to judge Chappell on that. That's a very limited sample, and Pakistan game was just a one-off series for all practical purposes.
I'm not judging Chappell on that, what I'm saying is you can't judge Chappell on the ODIs either.

And just because pre-Chappell India didn't win many series overseas doesn't make it alright to not do it under him now. Particularly against the weakest non-subcontinental test team India could play away to ATM. Then we may as well not try and improve our team with new coaches, and just settle for winning at home and losing/drawing away.

I do agree that Chappell needs more time for us to see how he's going now, but your first post contradicted that statement.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I would give Chappell a B thus far. He's instilled some discipline and helped bring in some new talent. He's improved the one-day side dramatically. He's also allowed guys like Sehwag to balloon for some time and handled touchy issues poorly. He's also fared poorly in tests thus far; I'll let Pakistan slip as it was IMO a one-off test, but we really should've beaten England.

I see plenty of promise under Chappell, but no he hasn't proven himself yet. He could well turn out to be huge for India, but it's too early to tell.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
I'm not judging Chappell on that, what I'm saying is you can't judge Chappell on the ODIs either.

No, I do think you can start judging him on ODI's, considering the number of them we've played. Tests, you haven't played many series, so you can't do the same.

Jono said:
And just because pre-Chappell India didn't win many series overseas doesn't make it alright to not do it under him now.
No, but then its also unfair to say that winning overseas series is a requirement straight up, if no one has done it before. It might become one, once he has more time, but it isn't one now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The thing that still annoys me to this day is the India went out and batted in their 2nd innings on day 4 of that test. Lets be honest, there was 0.000000000000000000001% chance of chasing that total, and if they did every single player in that team would have been elevated to demi-God status. Batting out 2 days isn't easy yes, but there was not even the slightest attempt of batting for a draw in that match.

Pakistan bowled very well no doubt, but India didn't bat intelligently at all and it didn't look like it was a player's choice, it looked more like a team strategy from the coaching staff (although this is all speculation). Yuvi's ton was great, but it was also stupidly aggressive and he was dropped on his way to it and didn't look that convincing. Dhoni and Pathan went for their shots, as did Sourav. IT was probably made worse with Dravid opening and going out immediately since he's usually the anchor of the innings, but it was still a horrible effort.

This was again seen in the 3rd test of the England series. I don't like the way we're batting for draws. Its a part of test cricket, and its not a weakness but a strength. You don't go for the win all the time when its impossible. SL's batting in the 1st test vs. Eng (granted dropped catches helped) was a good example of a team digging in and batting for the draw.

India batted for the draw well in the 1st test vs. Eng, so well that they had a chance of winning the game in the end, but the 3rd tests against Pak and Eng were woeful, and it wasn't just bad batting but bad strategy IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
No, I do think you can start judging him on ODI's, considering the number of them we've played. Tests, you haven't played many series, so you can't do the same.
1) I said you can't judge Chappell overall on India's ODI success
2) Despite India's resurgence in ODI cricket, it must be remembered they've played all their ODIs on the sub-continent.
silentstriker said:
No, but then its also unfair to say that winning overseas series is a requirement straight up, if no one has done it before. It might become one, once he has more time, but it isn't one now.
Yeah but you don't get an A for losing test series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
1) I said you can't judge Chappell overall on India's ODI success
2) Despite India's resurgence in ODI cricket, it must be remembered they've played all their ODIs on the sub-continent.

Yeah but you don't get an A for losing test series.

Fair enough point about the sub-continent. I didn't think of that, and you are right. I will wait until WI and SA series until judging that.

Jono said:
The thing that still annoys me to this day is the India went out and batted in their 2nd innings on day 4 of that test.
My opinions on the Mumbai test are well known.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
I would give Chappell a B thus far. He's instilled some discipline and helped bring in some new talent. He's improved the one-day side dramatically. He's also allowed guys like Sehwag to balloon for some time and handled touchy issues poorly. He's also fared poorly in tests thus far; I'll let Pakistan slip as it was IMO a one-off test, but we really should've beaten England.

I see plenty of promise under Chappell, but no he hasn't proven himself yet. He could well turn out to be huge for India, but it's too early to tell.
Sehwag is worth letting balloon, since we've seen lesser players like Patel and Agarkar to flourish longer, without much complaint. Let's not deny the fact that the in the Pakistan series, they were inadequate, especially since they lacked a fifth bowler and the pace. The England mess-up was a major negative, though, but that under-manned English side was facing a new-look Indian side taking major risks.

In comparison, before Chappell's arrival, a play-safe Indian team lost two Tests in the West Indies they should have won, or at least saved. They let slip one match too many in England, against a not-so-threatening opposition. They were disappointing against the Kiwis, had it easy against the Windies at home, and let slip the biggest opportunity down under. And ODI's? Let's not even mention it– they were terrible! The team's performance with Chappell has not been too impressive, but there's nothing to suggest it can't improve, and no, he's not deliberately keeping any player out of the team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Letting Sehwag baloon? You are an adult international player. If you can't be bothered enough to run a few laps or not wolf down ice cream like your life depends on it, then you probably shouldn't be on the team.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
Sehwag is worth letting balloon, since we've seen lesser players like Patel and Agarkar to flourish longer, without much complaint. Let's not deny the fact that the in the Pakistan series, they were inadequate, especially since they lacked a fifth bowler and the pace. The England mess-up was a major negative, though, but that under-manned English side was facing a new-look Indian side taking major risks.

In comparison, before Chappell's arrival, a play-safe Indian team lost two Tests in the West Indies they should have won, or at least saved. They let slip one match too many in England, against a not-so-threatening opposition. They were disappointing against the Kiwis, had it easy against the Windies at home, and let slip the biggest opportunity down under. And ODI's? Let's not even mention it– they were terrible! The team's performance with Chappell has not been too impressive, but there's nothing to suggest it can't improve, and no, he's not deliberately keeping any player out of the team.
How exactly are Patel and Agarkar related to Sehwag's fitness? At least Agarkar is fit and quick; mind you, I usually bash him but he's bowled quite well in the chances he's gotten of late.

I'm definitely liking Indian cricket better under Chappell with his innovative approach and with the emergence of Dhoni, Pathan, Sreesanth, etc. That doesn't mean we can rate Chappell as an excellent coach yet ... even when he gets there, there's a difference between being better than the last Indian coach and being a very good coach. We can't just look at everything relative to our past if we want to become an excellent team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How exactly are Patel and Agarkar related to Sehwag's fitness? At least Agarkar is fit and quick; mind you, I usually bash him but he's bowled quite well in the chances he's gotten of late.
When I read the phrase 'letting Sehwag balloon', I thought he got more than a few chances even with form against him, so I brought out those examples. Agarkar hasn't been outstanding even at best these days, and at the wrong time, he's bowled rubbish.
That doesn't mean we can rate Chappell as an excellent coach yet ... even when he gets there, there's a difference between being better than the last Indian coach and being a very good coach. We can't just look at everything relative to our past if we want to become an excellent team.
Fully agree with that, but we have a few who are never too late to snap at Chappell for everything going wrong– Sreesanth going for 70 runs in his first three matches, Munaf playing ODI's, Irfan opening the innings and getting out for zero, Irfan bowling slow, Nehra and Balaji getting injured, Agarkar getting a match, the Indian team getting black uniforms, the weather in Mumbai being hot, the list goes on. It seems we have one even here.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
SHRUG, we havent played enough test matches under him to come to any conclusions regarding test matches.

So far, I rate his performance as an 'A'. If we win the world cup, then his test match record is irrelevent.
No, his Test match record is not irrelevant even if we win all ODI cups we take part in. It will continue to mean that he has not done his job well that is if we continue to fail in tests.

Chappell was for both tests and ODIs and he should be grade on the basis of both. I agree we haven't played a lot of tests and that's why I said it is too early.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think the pervious indian coach was much better. about one day series comon guys india is a team who has stars like sachan tandulker, sewag, dravid, pathan, dohani and yuvraj singh. they are all world class cricketers. with them being in the same team indians should win all the matches that they play. what i hate about chappel is the way he handled the ganguly issue. gangully should be in the team now. as far as the team performance in the test matches. india played good cricket in pakistan and in home series against England and lets see what happens vs west indies.