• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Country Will Be The Next Test Nation?

Which Country Next?

• Scotland

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Ireland

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Canada

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Kenya

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Holland

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • USA

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • UAE

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Just wondering where the next test team would come from. Its bound to happen at some point in the future. Canada are aiming to be a test side in a decade. So which team is next in line?
It all comes down to a few important factors really,
- People playing the game in the country (ie not just expats)
- Financial support to allow sides to be professional.
- Obviously competitive ness with other test nations.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
China, all that revenue potential and the ICC will chicken out from letting anyone else join in the foreseeable future...

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
But noone actually plays the game there apart from the odd expat. With ireland and scotland looking to turn pro, i see them as the future of test cricket

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
None of those on that list will become a full test-playing team in my lifetime
That's only because you're on your last legs, old man. :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
albo97056 said:
But noone actually plays the game there apart from the odd expat. With ireland and scotland looking to turn pro, i see them as the future of test cricket
They barely compete with county sides in one day stuff and they'll need to do a lot more than that to gain Test status.

ICC are mainly interested in money and have an Asian bias.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd like to see Namibia elevated in my lifetime, don't have a clue why they don't make the poll, probably because nobody has heard of them.. Then again, itll probably be China or Nepal, or whoever the grubby ICC can weed the most money out of

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
well namibia got thrashed by scotland today!
Mybe i should have put them and nepal on there aswell, but there you go i forgot, im only human!

open365

International Vice-Captain
I really don't know who'll be the next test nation, i guess Ireland or Scotland are the strongest, but i just can't imagine them playing test cricket seeing as they struggle to put up a fight against county sides even with a half dozen forgein players .

gio

U19 Cricketer
Cricket really isn't big enough here to see Scotland becoming a test playing nation. Plus, we have a tiny population compared to other test playing nations and bad weather so pitches are poor and lost of games are called off. Our best hope is to become a regular ODI side and a good FC side in the (hopefully ever growing) Intercontinental Cup.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
gio said:
Cricket really isn't big enough here to see Scotland becoming a test playing nation. Plus, we have a tiny population compared to other test playing nations and bad weather so pitches are poor and lost of games are called off. Our best hope is to become a regular ODI side and a good FC side in the (hopefully ever growing) Intercontinental Cup.

You've got a similar population to NZ don't you...about 4 million?

Can't argue about the weather though.