• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Country Will Be The Next Test Nation?

Which Country Next?

• Scotland

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Ireland

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Canada

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Kenya

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Holland

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • USA

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • UAE

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
JASON said:
I think you are deliberately trying to compare SL to Fiji in an attempt to belittle SL's cricket history . Sri Lankans have played quality touring Teams from 1940s and played well and these were not expatriates (as in the case of Fiji) but Sri Lankans born and bread. Sri Lanka's school and club cricket history is very rich and strong with native Sri Lankans playing well even at the turn of the Century with their white Colonial masters.
I am not trying to belittle Sl's cricketing history, all I am saying is I dont consider the odd touring team coming over as a part of a tour of the sub continent and playing the odd game vs Australia o whoever 60 years ago or whatever to be really involved with the international cricket scene.

JASON said:
You are correct about the Term FC Cricket . Until your country is playing Test Cricket your domestic Cricket will not be given the official FC status (because it will not meet the criteria in terms of aspiring Test quality players and other such criteria). But that does not in any way detract from the fact SL's cricket was of very high quality .(But for the fact it could not have FC status because of lack of Test status and ICC not giving FC status to other countries then)
'A Very High Quality'- by what standards?

Now earlier you said that SL had been not allowed to play test cricket from 1975 (the time you implied they first tried to gain that status) to 1981/82....now really 5 or 6 years isnt really that long

gio

U19 Cricketer
thedarkmullet said:
You've got a similar population to NZ don't you...about 4 million?

Can't argue about the weather though.
Going by that, Scotland actually have a bigger population. But the sporting culture here isn't that same as in NZ. Sport in Scotland is dominated by football, but not many even participate in that... I assume participation in sport is rich in NZ.

Scottish cricket is steadily growing, and the ICC and C&G competitions will only help to improve it, but we won't become a Test nation for at least 50 years, if ever, I'd have thought.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It has to be Wales.

Ive written about this a number of times and they are a logical progression.

Glamorgan could still exist (as they represent the county not the country) and other countries like Rhodesia have played in another countries FC comp and gone on to be Test nations.

Wales also gives many more opportunities for countries to play in the Northern Hemesphere summer and that can only be good for the game and for the finances of European cricket.

If they started tomorrow they would not be the worst test team and that is a 1st for a team being given Test status

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
It wouldnt really broaden the game though as wales are already represented. I agree they probably should have been considered separate from the start, but at the moment it seems just a dilution of the game here, rather than expansion...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
albo97056 said:
It wouldnt really broaden the game though as wales are already represented. I agree they probably should have been considered separate from the start, but at the moment it seems just a dilution of the game here, rather than expansion...
Broadening or not, they deserve to be next based on the simple fact that they are by far the best of any non-test playing country.

It would broaden the game by giving Scot, Neth and Ire more ODIs as there is local opposition who need games and get allow teams like Zim and Bang to travel and play more games in the UK to add to their experience.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
albo97056 said:
the odis in usa and canada over the coming months should do them a lot of good.
Could anyone from any of these places enlighten us on how the game is progressing?
It isn't. Well I can only speak about the US.

People will tell you that it is advancing but they are usually wrong or influenced by a group that is in the process of competing for power.

Organizations who work hard to introduce the sport into schools and the general population are constantly blocked by people who will only allow ideas that are their own to advance, less they look incapable (which they generally are).

The game is played almost exclusively by the immigrant community and their is infighting between the Indians, Pakistanis and the West Indians. All of whom do not trust the others and only campaign and promote players from their ethnic group.

Cricket in the US will NEVER succeed unless dramatic action is taken and the necessary actions are very unlikely to happen.

- Control of cricket must be taken away from a member of competing ethnic groups and an 'American' must be put in control.

- Cricket must become a NCAA sport (ie recognized as an official collegiate sport). This is massive as it confers legitimacy on the sport in the wider American community and brings exposure and funding.

- Cricket as an Olympic sport. Will never happen but it is the only way to gain enough exposure and funding in the US. This would be the defining moment for cricket and really put it on the American sporting map.

Cricket is destined to be an immigrant sport that is a complete irrelevance within the wider community and will never grow much greater than the current level.

Holland, Ireland, Scotland and others all have players that are not immigrants or 1st generation and they should he highly praised compared to the mess that is the inconsequential sport of cricket in the USA.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see cricket ever breaking through in USA, just because of the media and their huge vested interest in other sports, particularly with baseball - as cricket will be seen as directly competing with it whether that's the case or not. I'd really like to see cricket break through in Canada, mainly because I think it'd suit the country quite well (weather is ideal, lots of space etc.).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I think you are deliberately trying to compare SL to Fiji in an attempt to belittle SL's cricket history . Sri Lankans have played quality touring Teams from 1940s and played well and these were not expatriates (as in the case of Fiji) but Sri Lankans born and bread. Sri Lanka's school and club cricket history is very rich and strong with native Sri Lankans playing well even at the turn of the Century with their white Colonial masters.
And you appear to know little of Fiji's history.

History
The first attempt at an organised club was in January 1874, when the Levuka Cricket Club was formed. The entrance fee was 10 shillings and the annual subscription was one pound - quite a substantial sum in those days. Although the Vagadaci ground was used for the first match, the Levuka club first practiced on the Police parade ground at Totogo. The first match against the crew of the HMS Pearl on Feb 21st 1874 took place at Vagadaci, the wicket being described as "not the best", one end being very bumpy and the other bad for the longstop. Levuka won, and the band of the HMS Pearl was on the ground to play the National Anthem.

The Pearl left for other parts of the group and played at Salia Levu on Taveuni and at Vuna where a Taveuni team beat the Pearl. Other ships, The "Rosario" and "Dido" also played matches in Levuka and Lomaloma and "Dido" played and beat a team of Taveuni Europeans at Holmhurst Estate, Taveuni. Games in Levuka continued between various combinations, Army, Medical, Marrieds, Singles, Bar and Church and so on. In 1877, games played at Balaga on the side of Nasavusavu Bay were recorded.

With all the interest in the game shown by the Europeans, it was inevitable that, given a little encouragement, the Fijian population would get involved. However it took the Private Secretaries to Governor George William Des Vouex to get things moving in that regard. Des Vouex whose reign as Governor began in 1878, was a keen cricketer and he chose as his PS's Hon.J C Amherst who taught cricket to the Armed Native Constabulary, and then in 1883 Sir Edward Wallington an Oxford Blue. Des Vouex, in his memoirs claims the introduction of cricket to the native Fijians as an achievement of his regime.

In these memoirs he explains the exceptional speed and accuracy of Fijian fielders as being acquired in the playing of a game called "veimoli". He describes this game as follows - two men stand about 25 feet apart armed with hard unripe oranges, which they throw at one another alternately. Snow makes the claim that the Fijian agility in dodging these short range persistent oranges gave rise to the myth that Fijians could avoid a bullet by dodging at the flash of a gun. It is generally accepted that the start of Fijian involvement in cricket in an organised manner started in 1878 with Des Vouex's governorship, with the efforts of Amherst and Wallington, and it is interesting that this was the year of the first visit of an Australian cricket side to England. Cricket was soon widespread in Fiji and matches are recorded in the interior - Colo - and far up the Sigatoka river.
Link

Indeed, I saw a recent edition of ICC Cricket World which had a good feature on Fiji and the intense cricketing rivalry between villages.

And of course, there's their most famous player - Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
And you appear to know little of Fiji's history.

Link
Ok, I stand corrected .so there were a few locals who played out of a population of 500,000 (thats todays population ):)

But the point made is with regard to the stupidity of comparing Fiji to Sri Lanka in Terms of Cricketing history and standards.

It would be like comparing European Soccer with Soccer in Australia / NZ .

Son Of Coco

Equatorial Guinea :sleep:

Failing that, if any of the Scandinavian nations get in I'm throwing my hand in the air to be coach of their respective women's teams. :naughty:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Ok, I stand corrected .so there were a few locals who played out of a population of 500,000 (thats todays population ):)
No, you still don't seem to get it. The game is dominated by the Melanesians over there, and is remarkably popular - probably just below rugby and soccer in terms of popularity.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Equatorial Guinea :sleep:

Failing that, if any of the Scandinavian nations get in I'm throwing my hand in the air to be coach of their respective women's teams. :naughty:
I'm happy to help out as waterboy.

"Oh dear, I appear to have spilled some H2O on your white shirt..."

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
I'm happy to help out as waterboy.

"Oh dear, I appear to have spilled some H2O on your white shirt..."
You're hired...although I have to warn you, some of them may be under 60 years of age.:-O

Is that a bucket in your pocket...:happy:

mihir_ozz

Cricket Spectator
Kenya,ireland,soctland

I think Kenya deserved Test Status even before Bangladesh...but don't know what went wrong in ICC mind they supported Bangladesh....
Even Irish & Scots are good both are winner of Intercontinental Trophy....
Atleast one nation should be awarded Test Status till End of 2007 world cup...
Scots & Irish practice in Counties..even holland.....
Kenya has good players.......
we should'nt expect to win a series by any new team as they step in let them take the taste and flavor of longer game ....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree that Kenya, based on performance, probably deserved it more than Bangladesh. However, Bang. is a country full of cricket loving fans, while Kenya isn't. In the long term, I think the right decision was made.