• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Flem274*

123/5
as usual crapinfo need me to do everything for them. it's obvious they were reading the wc thread where i mentioned it as well.

look crapinfo, i understand, it's hard to describe the boss. give me the keys to all of your player profiles and i will grace you with my expertise.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JFC ... they’ve updated the Ross Taylor profile on cricinfo.

I feel like a part of me has just died.

RIP “Ross Taylor could be just what New Zealand need in the wake of mass departures from the batting line-up” 2006-2019.
He used to have the legit best profile photo with his massive cheesy grin, I loved it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want to sound too much like Howsie, but did Tom Blundell win the lottery or what? Did very little to demand selection, didn't play a single game at the world cup (though admittedly he did well in the warm-ups), and walked away from it all with a life-changing sum of money in his pocket. Given he's a player who may not going to get a lot of opportunities in his career, I say good on him.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
I don't want to sound too much like Howsie, but did Tom Blundell win the lottery or what? Did very little to demand selection, didn't play a single game at the world cup (though admittedly he did well in the warm-ups), and walked away from it all with a life-changing sum of money in his pocket. Given he's a player who may not going to get a lot of opportunities in his career, I say good on him.
Must be a hell of a net player

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's life I suppose, some fall in a barrel of boobs and come out sucking their thumb, some come out better off.

Although in fairness, Blundell is a very tidy keeper, scored a ton on debut v the Windies, and has looked better the higher level he's gone up.

And I wouldn't rule out that he's going to get opportunities. BJ is 34, might have 1-2 years in him max (body is already showing signs of wear an tear) and if everyone presumes Seifert is the heir apparent in limited overs, he'll need to get a lot better with the gloves - and Blundell is also putting pressure on with weight of runs against good opposition.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Although in fairness, Blundell is a very tidy keeper, scored a ton on debut v the Windies, and has looked better the higher level he's gone up.
Technically he still hasn't made his debut, as it was an unofficial warm-up game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Technically he still hasn't made his debut, as it was an unofficial warm-up game.
Test ton. Not relevant to his ODI place I know, but still adds weight in terms of ability to score runs in international cricket and handle a moment.

And in terms of non-counting international ODIs, he's scored 77, 13*, 11, 0* and 106 at an average of 69 (nice). So small sample size but note-worthy, and against good attacks.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I guess we’ll have to wait and see if he ever gets an ODI match how he goes, but there’s no doubt for me that he’s deservedly our number one back up test keeper by some distance.

Jezroy

State Captain
Test ton. Not relevant to his ODI place I know
This is not what selectors thought about Guptill post 2015 funnily enough.

Gee I wish Guptill could have just kept going up and up from 2015 WC.

Seems like his constant failings in tests, combined with some injuries (and maybe the death of his mentor MD Crowe) have really conspired to make him look a shadow of his former self. There was that brilliant 180* vs South Africa in an ODI, but other than that I feel like it’s been scratchy form for him (even when he has got runs against the likes of SL and Bang at home recently).

Sad really. Just hope he can recapture somewhere near his best form in ODIs as you’d think WC 2023 will be the last of it for him.

Jezroy

State Captain
I guess we’ll have to wait and see if he ever gets an ODI match how he goes, but there’s no doubt for me that he’s deservedly our number one back up test keeper by some distance.
I feel like Blundell may be a player that just doesn’t get a long term go in the ODI team to see if he’s up to it TBH.

He probably won’t be a favourite for T20s due to the likes of Philips and Seifert, so his white ball opportunities will be limited there. Plus they really seem set on Latham in the middle order and keeping NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't find his retirement thread, so posting in here:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-five-t20-hits-feat-ipl-bbl-t20-blast-hrv-cup

Brendon's top 5 T20 hits. I feel like leaving out his ridiculous ton in Christchurch around 2009, when he started lapping Shaun Tait at will at 150km/ph, is an oversight.

Top 5 one-day innings'?
Top 5 Test innings would be easier - India 300 obviously tops it, the double tons, the fastest ton of all time v Australia in his last game.

Jezroy

State Captain
Couldn't find his retirement thread, so posting in here:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-five-t20-hits-feat-ipl-bbl-t20-blast-hrv-cup

Brendon's top 5 T20 hits. I feel like leaving out his ridiculous ton in Christchurch around 2009, when he started lapping Shaun Tait at will at 150km/ph, is an oversight.

Top 5 one-day innings'?
Top 5 Test innings would be easier - India 300 obviously tops it, the double tons, the fastest ton of all time v Australia in his last game.
Top of my head in ODI’s

2015 WC vs Eng
2015 WC vs SA
3rd Chapel Hadlee game where Hayden had hit a million and Baz was 86* with Gillespie at the other end

The series vs England where he and Ryder opened and killed them was also impressive

Not 166 vs Ireland though. Not worthy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would actually rate Baz's 96 at Lords in 2004 above his double-ton on a flat track against India. Was against (Iirc) the same 4-man pace attack that conquered Australia during the 2005 Ashes, and he took them to all parts, before Simon Jones finally got him with a reverse swinger.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I rated that McCullum knock too, I remember the anxiety as Simon Jones just kept taunting those hard little McCullum hands with great outswing bowling as he got close to the ton.

Sadly Robelinda once left that whole McCullum innings on his cutting room floor as he was fulfilling someone's request for the Richardson 101 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6luKq2c87vc

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ball-by-Ball Commentary

Take a look at the format of that link above if you ever want to get into some of the old comms. A lot of the modern ones available to you have gone down the horrible modern desiccation route and just say '51.1 SP Jones to McCullum, no run' without any elaboration, because that would've been complicating some bugman's easy stats aggregations and algorithms or something.

Simon Jones takes over from Hoggard
51.1 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, just outside off, gets back and
punches towards point
51.2 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, outside off, short, gets back and
slaps at it, footwork not good, beaten by one staying low
51.3 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, on line, just back of a length,
squares him up, was not sure if he had to get forward or back,
plays an awkward shot to the on side
51.4 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, back of a length, leaves him off the
pitch, again in two minds, beaten as he pushes away from the body
51.5 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, fuller ball, great nut, pitched up,
draws him forward, leaves the bat off the pitch, beate
51.6 SP Jones to McCullum, one run, too full this time on the legs,
clipped off the feet to deep forward square leg

End of over 52 (1 run) New Zealand 171/1 (lead by 116 runs)
SP Jones 6-1-24-0 (1nb) - Pavilion End
BB McCullum 90* (143b 14x4) MH Richardson 61* (159b 8x4)

52.1 Giles to McCullum, one run, shuffles down the pitch, turns it into
a full toss, drives square on the on side, deep mid wicket cuts it
off
52.2 Giles to Richardson, no run, down the wicket, too early, spotted,
fired into the feet, defends
52.3 Giles to Richardson, no run, down the pitch again, drives the full
ball back at mid wicket doing well to palm it to the bowler
52.4 Giles to Richardson, no run, defends outside off
52.5 Giles to Richardson, no run, gets gently forward, all defensive as
he smothers to the off
52.6 Giles to Richardson, no run, outside off, gets well forward and
across, pads it away, no real turn from Giles

End of over 53 (1 run) New Zealand 172/1 (lead by 117 runs)
AF Giles 8-0-34-0 - Nursery End
BB McCullum 91* (144b 14x4) MH Richardson 61* (164b 8x4)

53.1 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, just outside off, forward, firmly
pushed to the off, Butcher at cover does well
53.2 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, and beaten again, outswinger gets him
forward, plays at air
53.3 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, has McCullum worried now, outside
off, hits the seam leaves him, gets forward and pushes at it well
away from the body
53.4 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, away swing is followed for a
fraction, then pulls the bat away, but too late to be called a
leave
53.5 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, outside off, back to cut, ball comes
in this tome. bottom half of the bat as he cuts, rolls away to
gully
53.6 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, on line, straight one, gets up in the
crease, defensive push to the off

End of over 54 (maiden) New Zealand 172/1 (lead by 117 runs)
SP Jones 7-2-24-0 (1nb) - Pavilion End
MH Richardson 61* (164b 8x4) BB McCullum 91* (150b 14x4)

Match State: Drinks

54.1 Giles to Richardson, no run, gets well forward, all defensive
outside off
54.2 Giles to Richardson, no run, just outside off, no real turn,
defensive push from the back foot
54.3 Giles to Richardson, one run, fuller, on the legs, gets half
forward, stroked down to deep mid on
54.4 Giles to McCullum, no run, outside leg, on the sweep, this does
turn into the pad, loops to the keeper, appeals for a catch,
Koertzen, after two TV replays did get it right, good decision
54.5 Giles to McCullum, no run, sweeps again, again no contact
54.6 Giles to McCullum, no run, defends to the on side

End of over 55 (1 run) New Zealand 173/1 (lead by 118 runs)
AF Giles 9-0-35-0 - Nursery End
MH Richardson 62* (167b 8x4) BB McCullum 91* (153b 14x4)

Two more TV replays and still he has not touched it
55.1 SP Jones to Richardson, one run, round the wicket, gets forward,
gently angled off the face, playing late towards 3rd man
55.2 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, outside off, going away, back of a
length, forcing off the back foot, beaten again
Jones has McCullums ticket at the moment
55.3 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, fuller ball, gets forward stroking
the drive to the off, outside half of the bat to the off
55.4 SP Jones to McCullum, one run, on the back foot, worked off the
legs toward and wide of mid wicket, Hussain stops McCullum coming
back for two, just as well as he fires it into the stumps at the
bowlers end
55.5 SP Jones to Richardson, no run, short, pitches on the leg stump,
tracks away across the left hander who follows it, beaten
55.6 SP Jones to Richardson, no run, left alone outside off

End of over 56 (2 runs) New Zealand 175/1 (lead by 120 runs)
SP Jones 8-2-26-0 (1nb) - Pavilion End
BB McCullum 92* (156b 14x4) MH Richardson 63* (170b 8x4)

56.1 Giles to McCullum, no run, bowling into the rough outside leg, gets
forward, flicks, slight turn into the pads
56.2 Giles to McCullum, one run, fullish, leg stump line, stroked just
wide of mid on, east single, brings him ever closer to the three
figures
56.3 Giles to Richardson, no run, well forward, on the off, into the
rough, defended square on the off
56.4 Giles to Richardson, no run, shorter ball, this does turn back,
cramps him up a bit on the cut
56.5 Giles to Richardson, no run, gets back into the crease, wristy turn
to the on side
56.6 Giles to Richardson, no run, well forward, gently defends to the
off

End of over 57 (1 run) New Zealand 176/1 (lead by 121 runs)
AF Giles 10-0-36-0 - Nursery End
BB McCullum 93* (158b 14x4) MH Richardson 63* (174b 8x4)

57.1 SP Jones to McCullum, one run, on line, gets the movement, comes
forward on the drive, squared up, edge, no gully, 3rd man cleans
up
57.2 SP Jones to Richardson, one run, l eg stump line, back of a length,
easily inside it and worked off the hips to fine leg
57.3 SP Jones to McCullum, two runs, full, leg side, dug out wide of
Giles, cuts the single off, and then fumbles as he slides past it,
hooo hooo from the crowd
57.4 SP Jones to McCullum, no run, back, pushed towards mid on, cheers
as Giles picks up cleanly
57.5 SP Jones to McCullum, OUT: and gets him, outside off, leaves him,
pushes at it away from the body, heartbreak for McCullum

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

God I wish Wellington had 200 Test wickets or something out of that five-wicket Franklin.

I mean, you walk into some of our cricket centres and they've had to decorate the entrance with a big photograph of Stephen Fleming in full flow. I thought they could maybe do one of Gillespie, with Siddons lurking in the background and a speech bubble saying "pick him now, he's booming through the crease!" into a telephone, but no, they chose to delude today's youth into thinking Fleming was a 20-year Firebird. That'll probably be how it remains until Amelia Kerr is too old to be feeling utterly embarrassed by seeing a picture of herself as she walks in for a training session.