cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697
Results 1,441 to 1,454 of 1454
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: *Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Haha, I wonder what his legacy will be? "He came, he saw, he gave it a lash"
    He's done alright.

Best era for NZ batting ever.

Causation or correlation? Probably correlation.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Definitely coincidence IMO. Williamson + Taylor are 2 of our 3 best bats ever IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Definitely coincidence IMO. Williamson + Taylor are 2 of our 3 best bats ever IMO.
    Pretty much agree.
    Also, a factor having 2 of our best ever bats in the team is that it eases the job of the others (Latham, Nicholls, Raval etc). What would Nicholls record be if he was batting 5 after Pocock, Young, youthful Fleming and Rutherford etc.

A while ago, in a Tendulkar v Lara discussion I was reading - I did some statsguru research for my own interest to see if those 2 ever were in peak at the same time. I decided to do 5 year comparisons of test averages (E.g. 90-94, then 95-99, 00-04 etc). I then expanded and looked from 1980 to present in these 5 year blocks just for interest.

NZ batting was truely awful, sometimes would be one NZer on the first page of results returned (I think 50 per page). Then get to the 2010-14 and the 15-present queries. And there would be 5 or 6 in the top 50. Several in the top 10

E.g. Using this query: Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

A comparison of 2015-19 to 1995-99:
    95 to 15 comparison.jpg
    NZTailender and vandem like this.

U19s going on a tour of Bangladesh.

And amazingly. Other U19 cricket is also scheduled.

https://www.nzc.nz/news-items/bangla...ng-new-zealand

Bangladesh beckons for young New Zealand
    Posted Monday, 18 February, 2019 in International News
    Some of New Zealand’s most promising teenage cricketers will get a valuable chance to experience sub-continental conditions in April.

New Zealand have named an under-19 squad to tour Bangladesh, with Northern Districts and Canterbury providing eight of the 15 players between them.

The squad also includes three players from Wellington and two apiece from Auckland and Central Districts, and will be coached by former test batsman Peter Fulton - who selected the squad along with his fellow former international Paul Wiseman.

The tour will comprise one warmup 50-over match, followed by five 50-over internationals against the Bangladesh under-19 team.

In a nod to the anticipated conditions in Bangladesh, the squad includes four frontline spinners and two emerging spin bowlers - as well as four fast bowlers.

Batting and spin bowling have been identified as the key selection areas.

Spin bowling all-rounders have been picked in preference to medium pace allrounders, in another pointer to the challenges of playing on the sub-continent.

There will be more opportunities for the faster or medium pace bowlers in other assignments later this year - both in Australia and when the Bangladeshis return to New Zealand in October.

The captain won’t be named until the squad arrive in Bangladesh, and the intention is to share that responsibility among several players.

The next under-19 World Cup will be in South Africa in January and February, but this tour is being treated separately from a lead-up to the world tournament as the conditions will be very different from those anticipated in South Africa.

‘’We see this as purely a wonderful opportunity; a sub-continental tour that the players will really benefit from,’’ Wiseman, the programme leader for the under-19s, said.

‘’I think we’ll learn a lot about players over there. It’s about what they can learn on and off the park and it’s a really beneficial tour from a lot of angles.’’

Wiseman said it’s likely the selectors will look at 20-25 players over the next few tours leading up to the under-19 World Cup.

Fulton will have two coaching assistants on tour, Adam Miles and Dion Ebrahim.

The squad will leave New Zealand on April 10 and return on April 29.

The New Zealand under 19 squad is: Adithya Ashok (Auckland), Kristian Clarke (Northern Districts), Micah Conroy (Wellington), Lucas Dasent (Auckland), Joey Field (Central Districts), Jesse Frew (Canterbury), Nick Lidstone (Canterbury), Ruben Love (Central Districts), Rhys Mariu (Canterbury), Ben Pomare (Northern Districts), Tim Pringle (Northern Districts), Dylan Sharma (Wellington), Angus Sidey (Canterbury) Jesse Tashkoff (Wellington), Ollie White (Northern Districts).
    Last edited by Immenso; 18-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.

I'm guessing Thorn Parkes was unavailable for selection. Great opportunity for the under 19's.

Looking through the squad player by player, and looking up the stats on the cricket archive for this years U19 domestic tournament. A few points:

Not many of the players excelled at domestic U19 level.

Despite them saying; "this tour is being treated separately from a lead-up to the world tournament as the conditions will be very different from those anticipated in South Africa." - this is still an effective U18 team in disguise as an U19 team. Carl de Beer was top bowler at U19s and is a leg spinner, but he isn't getting an opportunity to go on a tour of the sub continent. Thorn Parkes, Gareth Severin, Jake Russ were 3 of the top 4 batsmen. But they arent going as they're too old?

I may be projecting, maybe they have study commitments etc (or a professional rugby contract ....). But by past trends NZ have selected U18s a year out. I don't agree with this policy, if, and I only mean IF, they schedule enough cricket that those unlucky enough to be born in the fallow years can get some international U19 experience as well.

4 of the 15 players in the squad didn't play in the U19 tournament, instead selected from their performances in U17 tournament.
    jcas0167, Binkley and Wright like this.

But this is way, way better than the last 4 years when the first U19 international the guys have played is a fortnight before the tournament.

So well done. However, It seems I never give unconditional praise ...... I reckon there might be enough games between tour out to Bangladesh, tour out to Australia, tour inwards by Bangladesh - to not have cut off those who are e.g. 20 days too old for the next tournament from a sub-continent tour. Hell of an experience.
    jcas0167 and Wright like this.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    So we're going to have a chance in 2023 then?
    Mcmillan has done a good job with the NZ batting

U19 Vice-Captain
    This is awesome from NZ Cricket, setting up consistent U19 tourneys. They have to look after the rep cricket, that is where the future is. Without playing enough against quality opponents expecting them to ace at first class cricket which is so hard to in NZ is asking for too much. If they play in alien conditions they will get tougher.

This is the direct result of Indian team visiting NZ. Now I have no complaints whatsoever if they start the twenty20s at 8 p.m. as long as it helps us financially and we get to develop our future cricketers.

Nice background piece on Jeet Raval.

A stuff piece actually worthy of a click, so I won't copy and paste it.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...cket-for-india

Although it's not mentioned in the article. I recall Raval actually pulled out of the NZ U19 team for the 2008 U19 world cup in 2008 due to study reasons (not sure if school or university at that stage). He had played for the U19s the year before.
    E.g. Good team: https://archive.nzc.nz/Scorecards/114/114624.html
    Last edited by Immenso; 11-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    straw man likes this.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Nice background piece on Jeet Raval.

A stuff piece actually worthy of a click, so I won't copy and paste it.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...cket-for-india

Although it's not mentioned in the article. I recall Raval actually pulled out of the NZ U19 team for the 2008 U19 world cup in 2008 due to study reasons (not sure if school or university at that stage). He had played for the U19s the year before.
    E.g. Good team: https://archive.nzc.nz/Scorecards/114/114624.html
    Lovely story, he has done well coming here a decade and a bit ago to make to the black caps. I've heard he's a very nice bloke.

New podcast here for NZ related cricket stuff:

https://insidetheboxcricket.podbean....de-5-8-mar-19/

International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Probably bad timing for this but Iím now thinking of going to the Boxing Day test later this year to see the guys in action.

Any ideas when tickets will go on sale and from where?

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697

Thread Information