• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

thundaboult

International Debutant
Contrary to a lot of people, I enjoy the white ball stuff over the red ball. Very excited about the 2019/20 season. Lots of T20's with some tough teams and a bit of ODI action as well. Good scheduling as well by NZC, keeping the back to back t20 wc's in mind. Boys should be fully prepared and knowing of their best 11 by march 28th, 2020.

Also. Milne just returned to action has been bowling well. Been very economical and has picked up wickets too. His pace is down though...something we've got used to seeing from him in the last 2 years. Hopefully he works his way back up to full fitness and top pace.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kane makes a lot of sense now he probably would have moved in front of the stumps and knocked it for 2, 4, or 6...Archer probably would have bowled a wide down leg side to tie the game....they probably didn't expect Neesh to kill it the first few balls though....still gutted he couldn't put one away in the last 3 deliveries he faced....
Absolutely this. NZ needed 2 players capable of murdering the ball into the stands, and as great a player as KW is, that's never been his game. If we'd known in advance that it'd come down to 2 off the last ball, you'd absolutely want Kane to face it every time. But we didn't. I don't think you can criticise the decision to send Guptill out there that much, he actually middled a couple off Archer beautifully during his first turn at bat (he was the only player to score runs off Archer's bouncer all day). In a way I'd rather have had it so that Guptill needed a 4 or a 6 to win off the last ball, he's always a better player with a clear mind.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also. Milne just returned to action has been bowling well. Been very economical and has picked up wickets too. His pace is down though...something we've got used to seeing from him in the last 2 years. Hopefully he works his way back up to full fitness and top pace.
Not too surprised. He's worked his way back to full pace before, though I imagine it must get harder and harder with each disappointment. Would still love to see us play all of Lockie, Milne and Kugz on a bouncy deck one day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Absolutely this. NZ needed 2 players capable of murdering the ball into the stands, and as great a player as KW is, that's never been his game. If we'd known in advance that it'd come down to 2 off the last ball, you'd absolutely want Kane to face it every time. But we didn't. I don't think you can criticise the decision to send Guptill out there that much, he actually middled a couple off Archer beautifully during his first turn at bat (he was the only player to score runs off Archer's bouncer all day). In a way I'd rather have had it so that Guptill needed a 4 or a 6 to win off the last ball, he's always a better player with a clear mind.
Good point.

Guptill having a truly hefty swipe at it would've either won or lost the game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Good point.

Guptill having a truly hefty swipe at it would've either won or lost the game.
I think that ball was a microcosm of Gup's tournament. He ended up not really setting up for anything, he didn't drop it at his feet or try to ramp it/get leg side or do anything that looked like he had a clear plan of where Archer planned to go and how he was going to score two off it. He ended up just getting bat on it and either hoping it went sufficiently into a gap or that there was a misfield. He just didn't fully back himself, which hey I'm not criticizing - that's the biggest moment in NZ's cricket history.

Kane I think would've walked across his stumps and whipped it fine, or as someone said lulled Archer into a wide.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Not too surprised. He's worked his way back to full pace before, though I imagine it must get harder and harder with each disappointment. Would still love to see us play all of Lockie, Milne and Kugz on a bouncy deck one day.
The wt20 in aus. I know our selections are super conservative. but if there's ever a chance, no better chance than strayan pitches in a t20 format. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see any 150km spells from Milne anymore. Lockie can definitely do it as he always does...and he's built like an ox so he can absorb it. I remember an astonishingly quick spell from Milne against pak in an odi in late 2014. He was at his quickest then. Bowled a 4 over spell, with not a single ball going under 150 km. That too in the heat and on a dustbowl. Really do believe his quickest days are behind him. Its sad.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The wt20 in aus. I know our selections are super conservative. but if there's ever a chance, no better chance than strayan pitches in a t20 format. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see any 150km spells from Milne anymore. Lockie can definitely do it as he always does...and he's built like an ox so he can absorb it. I remember an astonishingly quick spell from Milne against pak in an odi in late 2014. He was at his quickest then. Bowled a 4 over spell, with not a single ball going under 150 km. That too in the heat and on a dustbowl. Really do believe his quickest days are behind him. Its sad.
I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. He was bowling 150ish as recently as last October. Right now he’s coming back off another 6 months on the sidelines, so it’s now surprise to hear that he’s bowling at 90%. The problem with Milne is that another injury always seems just around the corner, and I imagine it’s hard to stay motivated and in training when that’s the case (see Corey Anderson’s waistline over the last couple of years). If he can over manage a prolonged period of fitness, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get back to his quickest.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bhula, Sears and Fletcher selected in NZ XI - Cricket Wellington

So a few months go, did they pick Nutall for the sake of just adding left arm variety or is he actually quick like Larsen is implying?
Yeah nothing Larsen has said there is inaccurate tbh. It was just a positive way of saying 'if you count Kuggs, we've already elevated our really rapid guys, and now these 135-140 merchants like Nuttall and Sears look pretty sporty purely in comparison to their peers, they're standing out in a domestic scene where a bustling Matt McEwan taking a cheap fivefer is the norm'.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Ok so, since I'm all the way down here in Canada and don't know some of these players like how you lads do...who are the players to look out for in the domestic scene? Currently, people have told me to keep an eye out for:

Jacob Duffy
Kyle Jamieson
Ben Sears
Nathan Smith
Matthew Fisher
Will young
Josh Clarkson
Tim seifert
Rachin Ravindra
Finn Allen
Zak Gibson
Ed Nutall
Glen Phillips
Jakob Bhula
Blair Tickner
Scott Kuggelejin

anyone else?

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok so, since I'm all the way down here in Canada and don't know some of these players like how you lads do...who are the players to look out for in the domestic scene? Currently, people have told me to keep an eye out for:

Jacob Duffy
Kyle Jamieson
Ben Sears
Nathan Smith
Matthew Fisher
Will young
Josh Clarkson
Rachin Ravindra
Finn Allen
Zak Gibson
Ed Nutall
Glen Phillips
Jakob Bhula

anyone else?
Ben Lister's probably worth adding to that list, IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Christian Leopard has had big wraps on him for a while, though he's struggled to establish himself in domestic cricket so far. If you include saffer imports, Devon Conway had an incredible season for Welly last year and will be completing his residency requirements next year.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Jacob Duffy
Kyle Jamieson
Ben Sears
Nathan Smith
Matthew Fisher
Will young
Josh Clarkson
Tim seifert
Rachin Ravindra
Finn Allen
Zak Gibson
Ed Nutall
Glen Phillips
Jakob Bhula
Blair Tickner
Scott Kuggelejin

anyone else?
Former South African under 19 all-rounders Will Luddick and Dean Foxcroft. Both featured for CD last season, but Foxcroft has moved to Otago. Hopefully that will open up more opportunities for the likes of Leopard at CD too.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503460&objectid=12192544

Last edited: