• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Mr Miyagi

Banned

All you need to know about World Test Championship schedule | CrickeX

So the NZ renaissance in tests since 2013 has meant that NZ get; well stuff all.

21 tests less than Eng,
13 tests less than Ind,
9 tests less than Aus,
6 tests less than Bangladesh.
5 tests less than WI
5 tests less than SL
2 tests less than Pak;

In the ODI sphere, it gets worse;

NZ will get less ODI matches than;

Ireland,
SL,
WI,
Ind,
Aus,
Eng,
SA.

Which leads to me this question, why on earth are the WI still so popular? They're been awful at cricket for a long time now, not even qualifying for the last Champs Trophy!

If I were cynical I would suggest teams are keen to get some cheap championship points by playing the WI, but its not like NZ dominates in Asia, if we escape undefeated - that's normally like a win for NZC fans - it is for me. Heck, in India I'd settle for a 2-1 loss just to get one victory since Hadlee's 1988 heroics.

I understand that the Big 3 get more action, but NZ even get less t20's than WI, as well as the more established formats. SA appears to have gotten a raw deal too.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

All you need to know about World Test Championship schedule | CrickeX

So the NZ renaissance in tests since 2013 has meant that NZ get; well stuff all.

21 tests less than Eng,
13 tests less than Ind,
9 tests less than Aus,
6 tests less than Bangladesh.
5 tests less than WI
5 tests less than SL
2 tests less than Pak;

In the ODI sphere, it gets worse;

NZ will get less ODI matches than;

Ireland,
SL,
WI,
Ind,
Aus,
Eng,
SA.

Which leads to me this question, why on earth are the WI still so popular? They're been awful at cricket for a long time now, not even qualifying for the last Champs Trophy!

If I were cynical I would suggest teams are keen to get some cheap championship points by playing the WI, but its not like NZ dominates in Asia, if we escape undefeated - that's normally like a win for NZC fans - it is for me. Heck, in India I'd settle for a 2-1 loss just to get one victory since Hadlee's 1988 heroics.

I understand that the Big 3 get more action, but NZ even get less t20's than WI, as well as the more established formats. SA appears to have gotten a raw deal too.
Genuinely good and unanswerable question about why the WI are still popular. They got the Boxing Day over us, when was it? 2015? And predictably got dicked in about 2 days at the G, didn't they? I have zero idea what made them a more attractive proposition then and why they're anything but a five cent coin glued to the ground that's not worth the effort to bend down and crow bar off now. Obviously administrators still have 80s fever

Flem274*

123/5
takes two to tango. nzc have always been happy to cut tests for odi dollars.

NZC CEOs are usually ****roaches and David White especially so

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Genuinely good and unanswerable question about why the WI are still popular. They got the Boxing Day over us, when was it? 2015? And predictably got dicked in about 2 days at the G, didn't they? I have zero idea what made them a more attractive proposition then and why they're anything but a five cent coin glued to the ground that's not worth the effort to bend down and crow bar off now. Obviously administrators still have 80s fever
Yeah, but I couldn't give a toss about Boxing Day at the G. NZC should be at home over Xmas and lining its own pockets and not be doing CA any favours.

But this continued WI favoritism is an odd anomaly that is going to start leading to more and continued questions of what exactly is going on.

Not just in NZ now, SA cricket fans will have more than few questions themselves.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
takes two to tango. nzc have always been happy to cut tests for odi dollars.

NZC CEOs are usually ****roaches and David White especially so
Irrelevant. WI has more tests, odi and t20 than NZC.

David White has some questions to answer already. Offer Garth Galloway the job already.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Genuinely good and unanswerable question about why the WI are still popular. They got the Boxing Day over us, when was it? 2015? And predictably got dicked in about 2 days at the G, didn't they? I have zero idea what made them a more attractive proposition then and why they're anything but a five cent coin glued to the ground that's not worth the effort to bend down and crow bar off now.
Because people like to hang on past glories and pretend that WI have some special way of playing cricket (which they don't) and ignore the fact that the modern WI teams have more in common with the 1920-30s teams in ability than the 60s or 80s teams.

Obviously administrators still have 80s fever
Precisely.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The TV rights to WI cricket is owned by Indian companies. I'd expect that to have something to do with it.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The TV rights to WI cricket is owned by Indian companies. I'd expect that to have something to do with it.
Ahhhh, now we're possibly getting somewhere.

But, WICB sells the broadcast for home matches to the local and foreign broadcasters, so how exactly do you think this relationship is working?

I mean - Fox is huge in Indian Cricket, Star is a Fox owned company is it not?

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Another factor is that daytime cricket in the West Indies is in an excellent timeslot for the lucrative UK market and a decent one for the Indian market. People getting off work and going home to watch a few hours of cricket in an idyllic island paradise setting - I can see the appeal. By comparison, the only part of the world that can comfortably tune in to watch daytime cricket in NZ is - well - the West Indies.

That doesn't explain the West Indies enduring popularity as a touring nation though - e.g. WI continuing to get 3 test series in England while NZ has long since been relegated to a 2-test Ashes entrée. Maybe administrators think that the success of WI players in the IPL garners them a bit more interest from casual fans?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Another factor is that daytime cricket in the West Indies is in an excellent timeslot for the lucrative UK market and a decent one for the Indian market. People getting off work and going home to watch a few hours of cricket in an idyllic island paradise setting - I can see the appeal. By comparison, the only part of the world that can comfortably tune in to watch daytime cricket in NZ is - well - the West Indies.

That doesn't explain the West Indies enduring popularity as a touring nation though - e.g. WI continuing to get 3 test series in England while NZ has long since been relegated to a 2-test Ashes entrée. Maybe administrators think that the success of WI players in the IPL garners them a bit more interest from casual fans?
South Africa is best positioned for the far more lucrative Indian TV market, and they've been comparably shafted as well (more than NZ even if you deem them a better cricket nation in playing strength).

Somehow WI is getting the tours, home and away, and it aint by performances on the field, nor its own rich tv market.

NZ and SA have been shafted. On the bright side, our elite players are walking into English deals these days whenever they want one, and the T20 comps are taking notice of NZ talent. So it isn't like the players are missing out money - just the chance at records and what not. But the fans of NZC are definitely missing out.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ahhhh, now we're possibly getting somewhere.

But, WICB sells the broadcast for home matches to the local and foreign broadcasters, so how exactly do you think this relationship is working?

I mean - Fox is huge in Indian Cricket, Star is a Fox owned company is it not?
My understanding is that WICB sold their international broadcast rights to Taj TV for 7 years, WICB retains the terrestial broadcast rights but any international broadcast (England/India) would go through Taj TV.

This group also holds (or held) the rights to international broadcast for Sri Lanka, South Africa, Pakistan, Zimbabwe

Mr Miyagi

Banned
My understanding is that WICB sold their international broadcast rights to Taj TV for 7 years, WICB retains the terrestial broadcast rights but any international broadcast (England/India) would go through Taj TV.

This group also holds (or held) the rights to international broadcast for Sri Lanka, South Africa, Pakistan, Zimbabwe
Taj has been bought by Sony. NZ sold its package the time before last to Sony. Last time we sold to Star sports.

The WI deal with Taj is about to expire in a year a half.

If there is a legitimate way that WI is doing this, the Boards of NZ and SA should be trying to find out how and seek to replicate it.

It isn't like NZ doesn't have some cricketers worth watching these days, we're topping all the fielding stats alone by some distance now (with Boult as superman) before anyone talks of KW, or our white ball team with Guppie, Taylor, Santner, and Sodhi. Asian cricket fans would watch NZ play.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I suspect WICB probably isn't actually profiting a great deal from this deal.

We also are more or less at a horrible timezone to sell to the Indian market, and only LIVE TV sells particularly well.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I suspect WICB probably isn't actually profiting a great deal from this deal.

We also are more or less at a horrible timezone to sell to the Indian market, and only LIVE TV sells particularly well.
Yeah, I get the time zone problem, that doesn't explain our lack of away tours.

Any WICB profits, 2, 3, 5 Ind tour in 2019 at home then 2023 they get a second India tour of 3 and 3 in whiteball.

That's two Indian tours in the deal. They're making money alright. India hasn't been to NZ since 2013/14.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
2016/17 Bangladesh in NZ

2018/19 Bangladesh in NZ
2019/20 Bangladesh in NZ pre WT20
2019/20 Bangladesh in NZ for more ODI and T20 after the WT20
2020/21 Bangladesh in NZ
2022/23 Bangladesh in NZ

Oh wow.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2016/17 Bangladesh in NZ

2018/19 Bangladesh in NZ
2019/20 Bangladesh in NZ pre WT20
2019/20 Bangladesh in NZ for more ODI and T20 after the WT20

2020/21 Bangladesh in NZ
2022/23 Bangladesh in NZ

Oh wow.
This takes place in 2020/21, and if I'm reading the schedule right, the Bangerz are actually touring in 18/19, 20/21 and 21/22. But yeah, the fact that we can continue to look forward to biannual visits from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka (18/19, 20/21 and 22/23) whilst Australia and India continue to drop in only for whistle-stop ODI tours (for the most part) and no test tours of WI (where we haven't played since 2014) and SAF is dire.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This takes place in 2020/21, and if I'm reading the schedule right, the Bangerz are actually touring in 18/19, 20/21 and 21/22. But yeah, the fact that we can continue to look forward to biannual visits from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka (18/19, 20/21 and 22/23) whilst Australia and India continue to drop in only for whistle-stop ODI tours (for the most part) and no test tours of WI (where we haven't played since 2014) and SAF is dire.
Hmmm, yeah I got the season wrong for the double tour. It is 2020/21 and not 2019/20.

So it is:
2016/17 Bangladesh in NZ

2018/19 Bangladesh in NZ
2020/21 Bangladesh in NZ pre WT20
2020/21 Bangladesh in NZ for more ODI and T20 after the WT20
2021/22 Bangladesh in NZ

I think WI is too busy playing cricket to fit NZ in for tests in the Carribbean. They should just schedule their tests to 3 days and squeeze us in.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that 2020/21 season in particular is a disaster. I presume that David White was frantically scrabbling around looking for someone - anyone - to play a few warm-up games with ahead of the World T20. A pity they didn't go with Afghanistan instead - they're probably a better T20 side atm, and would've had more interest from the public if only for the novelty and the Rashid factor.