• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I watched till the time they rejected Conway. Can't believe they didn't bid for him. Hessen didn't even show any interest when Conway and Phillips name came up. Don't think they were going to bid for them.

So much for Finn Allen's super smash form his name was scratched off for accelerated bidding and didn't even come up for auction.

Kyle might start skipping Auckland games lol $500 per T20 game er.. No thanks mate.

If he goes reasonably well he's guaranteed another 3-4 millions in the next five years collectively worse comes worse. Good on him. Hope the lad is still motivated to play for Black caps and aces.

nzfan

Maxwell is the biggest surprise. I was thinking he's like Wellington homes. Leaky, hot and mostly severe cold but the prices are just going up so the time. Maxwell is a Wellington home.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I watched till the time they rejected Conway. Can't believe they didn't bid for him. Hessen didn't even show any interest when Conway and Phillips name came up. Don't think they were going to bid for them.

So much for Finn Allen's super smash form his name was scratched off for accelerated bidding and didn't even come up for auction.
Let's be honest, none of those guys were ever going to be picked. The demand for international players is already tilted towards fast bowlers and all rounders. India has more than enough quality top order batsmen. Only the elite of international cricket get picked for batting spots. If seasoned internationals like Jason Roy and Alex Hales aren't getting a look in, then there's no way that a guy who's grown up playing in the most un-Indian conditions possible and who has never even played international cricket has a chance.

Last edited:

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, it's a tough gig as a batsman in the IPL. I would have loved to see Conway get in, but if players like you say aren't getting picked up then can't say it's unfair.

I think Maxwell is a case of banking on him eventually coming good, obviously he can do some truly ridiculous things if he gets going. You'd think it might be his last chance at performing.

Jamieson for that price is crazy without him ever having played an international match overseas. Maybe they want to lock him in for the new few years. He does seem like someone who is only getting better and better with time.

nzfan

Traditionally the RCB home ground is best suited for spinners. The fast bowlers are generally taken apart. Everytime I saw Southee or CDG bowl the batters just smashed then. I'm guessing Kyle's batting must have swayed the bids.

Fair call about Conway. He'll definitely get a go in future surely. If he can somehow end up keeping for Black caps he'll be considered seriously I think.

Flem274*

123/5
ipl picks also as much to do with marketability as performance. jamieson is interesting, conway just wins games by putting it in gaps like a left handed kane with no international tons

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
IPL (india) has a huge shortage for fast bowlers and all-rounders, meanwhile batsmen and spinners are in abundance so they only buy elite international batsmen and spinners.

On the other hand, International Fast bowlers even with limited national team experience are picked up instantly if they are decent and likewise for all-rounders. Thats how it has been for a long time now.

nzfan

Ben Sears might be a better chance of a future IPL deal than Conway and Allen with his pace.
100% Sears will attract massive bids and Ravindra a natural left hander, left arm orthodox is a perfect suit. Any left handers are gold but if they can bat and bowl left hand equally well they are the most saleable after fast bowlers.

If at all Conway wicket kept or bowled.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's be honest, none of those guys were ever going to be picked. The demand for international players is already tilted towards fast bowlers and all rounders. India has more than enough quality top order batsmen. Only the elite of international cricket get picked for batting spots. If seasoned internationals like Jason Roy and Alex Hales aren't getting a look in, then there's no way that a guy who's grown up playing in the most un-Indian conditions possible and who has never even played international cricket has a chance.
Yep. The homework these IPL teams do now and the level of analysis they do is so far advanced from previous years. The days of a one-hit wonder making it in (Richard Levi) are gone. If they're paying money, when they've got what - four spots in a side for O/S players - they want proven quality or they want someone who so clearly fills a role they can't otherwise find. Conway ain't that, Finn Allen obviously ain't that etc.

Moss

NZ Players will only be unavailable if their teams qualify for the IPL playoffs. He won't have great prep time though.
So if RCB, SRH, MI and KKR are in the playoffs, the first test lineup for Lords would be something like:

Latham
Blundell
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Watling
CdG (if he’s back to bowling)
Southee
Henry
Wagner
Ajaz

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England's IPL players are going to miss the Test series as well aren't they, or at least the 1st Test. Off the top of my head, that's Archer Stokes Buttler Ali Bairstow Curran S and Woakes potentially?

nzfan

So if RCB, SRH, MI and KKR are in the playoffs, the first test lineup for Lords would be something like:

Latham
Blundell
Young
Taylor
Nicholls
Watling
CdG (if he’s back to bowling)
Southee
Henry
Wagner
Ajaz
That's a reasonably good looking team. Not as bad as I though it'd look.

Conway will play if he can travel. From what I hear he's in the same boat as Foxcroft. Can't travel overseas yet unless borders are opened. He's not officially a kiwi yet. If he travels he can't get back in the country.

Flem274*

123/5
oof that's a problem.

the ipl also destroys my hopes of a true nz 1sts vs nz 2nds squad match, with 1sts dropping jamieson down for a spinner

latham
blundell
kane
ross
nicholls
watling
cdg
santner (we all know he's going to tour and be preffered)
southee
wagner
boult

rachin
cooper
conway
young
phillips
seifert/cleaver
mitchell
jamieson
henry
ferguson
ajaz

incidentally im very concerned for our batting in england. older players, technical issues for english conditions...hmmm

the bowlers all know and are suited to england

The Hutt Rec

Conway will play if he can travel. From what I hear he's in the same boat as Foxcroft. Can't travel overseas yet unless borders are opened. He's not officially a kiwi yet. If he travels he can't get back in the country.
Just as well he didn’t get an IPL deal if that’s the case!

James

Cricket Web Owner

You would think common sense would apply that he's representing NZ internationally so exceptions could be made. Or fast-track his residency/citizenship for sports reasons.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm at a central Wellington pub right now and at the leaner 5m away from me, we have a number of minor celebs such as CDG, BJ Watling and Tim Seifert. Quite refreshing to see them on the pints and having a crack at bets on Rosehill, Caulfield and Ellerslie.