• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a major difference in being ready for international cricket skills wise and being ready mentally. Not a comment on any specific example here, just something in general I definitely believe

I despise GChappellism in all its forms

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yup... very much remember Brian Lara bit in the book. I suppose the story goes Richardson mentioned Zoe, the Aussie woman that had bowled Lara. Lara took offence to that and walked Richardson all the way to the wicket abusing him.

Richardson clearly mentions Lara didn't look the part because he saw shagging previous night. In fact he also mentioned the honey is one of the reason some play cricket. That is seething. You know why Dunedin used to be preferred by players in the past. Definitely not for cricket reasons.
Possibly the second innings of that game, with Evan Marshall having dismissed Lara in the first innings and Rigor pulling out the "Let's go, Zoe" comment when Marshall was bowling to Lara again. I've probably got some details wrong but hey ho.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, I've spotted on LinkedIn that Mark Craig has taken a job with Lion as a sales exec, so I suspect that's pretty much the end of any serious crack at the pro cricket thing.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

Finn Allen and Devon Conway put their names in too. At best IPL is quite a lottery. Won't be surprised if Finn Allen is picked for 150k and Jamieson or Conway not picked :) From what I've seen in the past there is no logic to the selections. If Finn Allen gets picked it will be quite a fairy tale. The bloke not needed by Aces and lost the spot in firebirds side after he played 3 first class games goes on to get picked for IPL Change of fortune in like 2 months. For the good of Allen he's better off not picked for IPL.

Josh Clarkson has put his name in as well.

The way it works generally is the players from NZ gets asked by the coaches, directors, talent hunters in the IPL sides or their agents to put their name in. The IPL papers are so hefty it will probably take like a fortnight to fill them in many don't even bother as they have no hope to get selected.

Last edited:

Immenso

Clarkson should definitely be trying to get himself some foreign franchise gigs. CPL, PSL etc. White ball, and probably specifically T20, is likely to be his path. I'd doubt he would have the profile yet to get an IPL gig but doesn't hurt to put the name out there. He'd be a very good buy in those other leagues.

Allen, I would hope he doesn't get picked up yet. I'd have so much more all-formats ambition for him and wouldn't want the head turned at this stage.

Moss

I hope Williamson, if not the NZ think tank as a whole, is keeping an eye on the ongoing India-England series and has some ideas in place by the time NZ tour there later this year. Given that NZ’s exposure to quality spin is lower than that of most countries, and that tours to the bigger nations (actually all test tours, period) come quite infrequently, really do not want to see NZ stuff things up the way the did the Australia tour.

Flem274*

123/5
it won't happen because india will be far too good, but would a test series win in india make up for the australian debacle?

provided india are full tilt, yes imo because the conditions are so alien and they may well be #1 ranked again by then.

Immenso

I hope Williamson, if not the NZ think tank as a whole, is keeping an eye on the ongoing India-England series and has some ideas in place by the time NZ tour there later this year. Given that NZ’s exposure to quality spin is lower than that of most countries, and that tours to the bigger nations (actually all test tours, period) come quite infrequently, really do not want to see NZ stuff things up the way the did the Australia tour.
We'll have it all worked out by the 3rd test.

nzfan

it won't happen because india will be far too good, but would a test series win in india make up for the australian debacle?

provided india are full tilt, yes imo because the conditions are so alien and they may well be #1 ranked again by then.
100% I'd take a series win in India even over a world cup win. At least we keep making the semis/finals in a world cup but generally none stands a chance in India to take a series. It's probably the hardest place to win a series. Even harder than Australia. I'd even take a draw. I have high hopes for India series if by then we will have 2 or 3 players I reckon can make massive difference to the team. As long as we don't keep taking the same teams we have in the past there's definitely hope.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Admittedly I haven't seen much of them beyond the Super Smash but how good are Young and Conway with spin? IIRC Young is not bad but no clue on Conway.

nzfan

Admittedly I haven't seen much of them beyond the Super Smash but how good are Young and Conway with spin? IIRC Young is not bad but no clue on Conway.
Considering the number of big hundred Conway has scored he would have played enough spin although enough spin available in New Zealand. Young brought up in CD so would have batted enough times on turning decks I'd assume. Young also played vs Pakistan A and had a good series. Most of the guys that played for Pakistan A then are playing for Pakistan national team right now meaning he would have faced near international quality spinners then. Not sure if he also went to India like 3-4 years ago to play India A but he has enough experience playing spin I'd think.

Moss

Considering the number of big hundred Conway has scored he would have played enough spin although enough spin available in New Zealand. Young brought up in CD so would have batted enough times on turning decks I'd assume. Young also played vs Pakistan A and had a good series. Most of the guys that played for Pakistan A then are playing for Pakistan national team right now meaning he would have faced near international quality spinners then. Not sure if he also went to India like 3-4 years ago to play India A but he has enough experience playing spin I'd think.
IIRC Young did go to India in 2017 and didn’t have a great time of it (can’t be bothered to check but at least on a couple of occasions he’d bat himself into a hole and get out for 15(70)* or something like that). Based on the general comments in the domestic forum he seems to be rated as fairly sound. Conway on the other hand can be pretty leaden-footed and uncertain I believe, Kippax for one has regularly brought up the point.

* on checking, his scores in that series were 0(9), 14(73), 15(35), 14(34). Out twice each to pace and spin

Last edited:

nzfan

Kane, Boult will be definitely out for the last few games vs Bangladesh. Maybe Kyle Jamieson too. Rest are not quite sure. Don't think Southee will be picked up. Santner will probably be picked. Conway, Allen if not picked in the IPL will get a good run. Bad luck for Ravindra otherwise he will have featured. I guess Chapman, McConchie, Darryl Mitchell will get a good run. Hopefully they'll fit Ben Sears somewhere along the way.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I always think Conway looks very vulnerable early in his innings. One of those guys whose bat looks very narrow until he's had some time at the crease.

nzfan

I always think Conway looks very vulnerable early in his innings. One of those guys whose bat looks very narrow until he's had some time at the crease.
What makes you think that? White ball or red ball? Most batters are vulnerable in the first 20 balls of the inning in red ball and white ball cricket to be fair.

Seeing the latest test match Ind v Eng boy we are up for some challenge later this year. Axar Patel the debutant was unplayable and imagine if they have Jadeja and Ashwin as well in the line up on those pitches. We quickly need to find some spinners that turn the ball to have a remote chance. Indian bowlers bowl side spin majorly and undercut for straight one. In NZ we generally bowl toppies and bowl into the pitch. It's a lot different bowling on those pitches in India.

Immenso

Not sure how I ended up down this rabbit hole, but I have an impression that Kane is an unlucky captain with the toss. Confirmation bias, recency bias or he loses the crucial ones?

But he isn't, he is around the 50% mark.

Minimum 10 test tests as captain:
Won tossLost tossWin %
KR Rutherford126
66.67%​
LRPL Taylor86
57.14%​
JG Wright86
57.14%​
GP Howarth1713
56.67%​
JV Coney87
53.33%​
DL Vettori1715
53.13%​
GT Dowling109
52.63%​
KS Williamson1817
51.43%​
JR Reid1717
50.00%​
MD Crowe88
50.00%​
LK Germon66
50.00%​
SP Fleming3743
46.25%​
MG Burgess46
40.00%​
BB McCullum1219
38.71%​
BE Congdon413
23.53%​
GM Turner28
20.00%​

Ken liked a punt, he'd have been pleased to be lucky.
Sutcliffe didn't make my chart. But won 4, lost 0.
Baz also likes the horses, but he was an unlucky fella.

But, poor old Bevan Congdon. With that sample size, that's a terrible ratio.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Great analysis. I get the feeling Kane is ok at tests, but loses most t20 and ODI ones?

At least Ken Rutherford was a successful captain in one department.

nzfan

Big day for some of the IPL contenders. Hoping Kyle doesn't get picked up :) If he does then that'll cost black caps. He will bowl heaps if picked in the team and bound to get smashed around it's IPL after all. Have very minimal batting opportunity and maybe will learn to slog. By the time he arrives in UK either he's going to be at the top of the world if he has good performances at IPL or will be tired as and confidence shot by getting smashed by some sloggers. That won't do us all that good. As a professional player though deserves top bucks at IPL if picked up and that will set him up for good number of years given all the toil he has put in at domestic level.