• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
The team is supposed to be named shortly vs the Aussies. I have a haunch it's going to be another two teams experiment. Duffy will be persisted never mind his not so good super smash campaign. Doug Bracewell to make the team maybe at least couple of games. Finn Allen won't be tried yet but will get a go vs Bangladesh.

Ben Sears won't be getting a chance anytime soon given his on and off niggles. Ideal to see him play vs Bangladesh.

nzfan

Demolition, annihilation whatever you call it. It'll be the most unfair call if Finn is not called up for Black caps. If they're going to go Munro of guptill is not fit that'll be the most backward step ever.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Munro is still the number 8 ranked t20 international batsman ... so I'm baffled as to how he's not seen as the incumbent, and Guptill is, and is given endless chances.

Will be interesting to see how Munro goes tonight.
Given the quality of the Big Bash is arguably 2/3 times higher than the Super Smash, Munro should walk in I should think.

The Hutt Rec

Given the quality of the Big Bash is arguably 2/3 times higher than the Super Smash, Munro should walk in I should think.
Thought the quality of the final last night was very average. Plenty of easy catches shelled, batsmen swinging and missing with great regularity. Give me the super smash any day.

Munro actually averaged about 10 more runs in this year’s big bash than he did in last year’s super smash, as well.

Mike5181

International Captain
We do offset some of the population gap by only spreading our players across 6 teams, as opposed to the 8 in the Big Bash.

They do get more quality overseas players, though. Rashid Khan, Munro, Milne, Roy, etc.

The Hutt Rec

We do offset some of the population gap by only spreading our players across 6 teams, as opposed to the 8 in the Big Bash.

They do get more quality overseas players, though. Rashid Khan, Munro, Milne, Roy, etc.
That’s been compensated for this year with a full selection of Blackcaps players (the fit ones, anyway).

I have actually really liked the structure of this summer, I hope it’s replicated in future and we see the big names involved most years.

James

Cricket Web Owner
That’s been compensated for this year with a full selection of Blackcaps players (the fit ones, anyway).
Not with the quality of the international players that came to the Big Bash, alongside the Aussie players like Maxwell, Lynn, Carey, Christian, Marsh, etc.

I also factor in our backyard cricket boundaries (lengths).

Realise it's subjective, but if I look at the top 15 players in Big Bash and Super Smash (according to our Fantasy Cricket) it tells a story.

1.Jhye Richardson1415
2.Alex Hales1228
3.Josh Phillipe1168
4.Daniel Christian1122
5.James Vince1052
6.Glenn Maxwell1039
7.Chris Lynn1013
8.Ben Dwarshuis1007
9.DArcy Short980
10.Liam Livingstone961
11.Josh Inglis914
12.Jake Weatherald888
13.Mitchell Marsh875
14.Marcus Stoinis867
15.Jordan Silk867

1.Finn Allen (WLG)908
2.Doug Bracewell (CD)870
3.George Worker (CD)820
4.Josh Clarkson (CD)799
5.Anton Devcich (NK)641
6.Daryl Mitchell (CANT)631
7.Tim Seifert (NK)611
8.Anaru Kitchen (OTG)589
9.Cole McConchie (CANT)582
10.Robert ODonnell (ACK)559
11.Michael Bracewell (WLG)551
12.Neil Broom (OTG)547
13.Logan van Beek (WLG)526
14.Chad Bowes (CANT)523
15.Scott Kuggeleijn (NK)485

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Conway is such a great player to watch. I understand why he hasn't played test yet and that it's a good sign that a player of his quality is warming the bench but a certain part of me just feels that every game he doesn't play is a massive waste for the blackcaps.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not with the quality of the international players that came to the Big Bash, alongside the Aussie players like Maxwell, Lynn, Carey, Christian, Marsh, etc.

Realise it's subjective, but if I look at the top 15 players in Big Bash and Super Smash (according to our Fantasy Cricket) it tells a story.

1.Jhye Richardson1415
2.Alex Hales1228
3.Josh Phillipe1168
4.Daniel Christian1122
5.James Vince1052
6.Glenn Maxwell1039
7.Chris Lynn1013
8.Ben Dwarshuis1007
9.DArcy Short980
10.Liam Livingstone961
11.Josh Inglis914
12.Jake Weatherald888
13.Mitchell Marsh875
14.Marcus Stoinis867
15.Jordan Silk867

1.Finn Allen (WLG)908
2.Doug Bracewell (CD)870
3.George Worker (CD)820
4.Josh Clarkson (CD)799
5.Anton Devcich (NK)641
7.Tim Seifert (NK)611
8.Anaru Kitchen (OTG)589
12.Neil Broom (OTG)547
14.Chad Bowes (CANT)523
Wellington's batting lineup and ND's bowling attack are better than any in the Big Bash.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellington's batting lineup and ND's bowling attack are better than any in the Big Bash.
Nd's international standard attack is better than any of the bbl attacks without there Aussie international's*, you give the sixers starc haze and lyon or the scorchers green and there as good as the nd attack.

The Hutt Rec

Nd's international standard attack is better than any of the bbl attacks without there Aussie international's*, you give the sixers starc haze and lyon or the scorchers green and there as good as the nd attack.
Well Starc for one hasn’t played a Big Bash game since 2015.

The Hutt Rec

1.Jhye Richardson1415
2.Alex Hales1228
3.Josh Phillipe1168
4.Daniel Christian1122
5.James Vince1052
6.Glenn Maxwell1039
7.Chris Lynn1013
8.Ben Dwarshuis1007
9.DArcy Short980
10.Liam Livingstone961
11.Josh Inglis914
12.Jake Weatherald888
13.Mitchell Marsh875
14.Marcus Stoinis867
15.Jordan Silk867

1.Finn Allen (WLG)908
2.Doug Bracewell (CD)870
3.George Worker (CD)820
4.Josh Clarkson (CD)799
5.Anton Devcich (NK)641
7.Tim Seifert (NK)611
8.Anaru Kitchen (OTG)589
12.Neil Broom (OTG)547
14.Chad Bowes (CANT)523
I have no idea what these tables mean haha.

Boundary size I don’t really see any relevance. Are NZ’s home wins worth less because they’re on grounds more in line with the rest of the world than Australia? Munro should average higher in NZ if it was that much of a factor.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Conway > Philippe
Finn < Vince
Blundell > Hughes
Neesham < Henriques
Bracewell < Silk
Johnson < Christian

4-2 to the Sixers IMO.

The ND bowling lineup didn't play that many matches.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I have no idea what these tables mean haha.

Boundary size I don’t really see any relevance. Are NZ’s home wins worth less because they’re on grounds more in line with the rest of the world than Australia? Munro should average higher in NZ if it was that much of a factor.
Was trying to show there, that the Black Caps haven't played anywhere near enough matches to get up the points tally.

I'd be interested to see a comparison on boundaries around the world. Eden Park Outer Oval and Pukekura Park are a joke really.

nzfan

I can't see how you can compare big bash with super smash. Big bash has the backing of corporate, plenty of money throw in and obvious it needs to be hyped.

For those that say Allen's feats are of lesser note in comparison to Munro's at big bash how come other top players couldn't do in super smash what Allen did if it were this easy? Munro played most games for Aces last year from memory but he didn't set the world alight did he?

How do we know with the current form Allen is in, he wouldn't do in big bash what he's doing in super smash?

Kind of know how this will go, if Allen is picked for BCs and he goes well everyone will jump on the bandwagon. If he doesn't go all right then most will say "Told you so". In my opinion there's nothing to lose by giving him a go. If he doesn't go as well as he's at the moment then he's still young enough to get back playing for the province and iron out any issues. In any case I don't think these T20Is will be remembered in future. Some non descript second xi from aussie and for international t20s no one will remember the score line in future. No better time to try one or two players for future.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Just came across this article which I think sums it up quite well: https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/domestic-game-foundation-black-caps-built-success

Add to that some of our lesser lights play in overseas leagues and usually do very well ... most of our players seem to perform better in the CPL than they do in the Super Smash.

I just find it very annoying the comparison and dragging down of our comp compared to Australia's. It reminds me of something Shane Bond said in his book, the general narrative in his time was that NZ were battlers who overachieve, but his view was we have some of the most talented cricketers on the planet, and we often give ourselves an easy way out by playing into that battler/overachievement tag. I don't think you could say that's really the case now, apart from this mentality that Australia is the ultimate in cricket and we are lucky to be playing them, need a side in the big bash, etc. It seems to me to be something that is still ingrained in us even at the highest level.

Well in my opinion our league is just as good, if not better. Who cares about overseas players coming in, I'd rather develop our own players and give them the chance to step up. And I'd sure as hell rather watch a game in the sun at one of our grounds half full than a 70-90.000 seater in Aus that has half the crowd rattling around in it in the middle of night.

And current Test and ODI rankings indicate what we are doing is working pretty damn well for us, better than Australia.

Sorry anyway, rant over.