• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I picked up on some farcical infringement of the laws happening late in Nathan Smith's rearguard knock vs. Auckland btw, but I suppose it's hard for the domestic umpire to keep his eye on everything.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Spare a thought for Will Young...he was supposed to debut against Bangladesh last year but the mosque shootings put paid to that. He then puts his hand up again in the WC warm-ups against Australia, only to blow his shoulder out. Was very likely going to Bangladesh again to tour in August (although touch and go with Conway) but that's now very likely off...and the chances of us playing any international cricket in the next 12 months isn't great.

He's potentially going to have 2 years of potential international cricket wiped out by a combination of a mass shooting, an injury and a pandemic. Thankfully he's only 27 and a half but that's a significant period of time for someone to lose, and realistically a big chunk of time that's been stripped out of his development.
I'd say just get him and Conway into the limited overs sides when next possible. It's a logjam as far as the top 5 is concerned in those formats as well but you have to bite the bullet at some stage. Will keep the likes of Blundell and Nicholls on their toes, as well as ensure some contingency plans for whenever older guys like Guptill, Taylor and Watling decide to pack it in. Though others like Seifert and Phillips may also get first dibs on batting spots.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Honestly think Conway just comes in for Blundell at the top. Blundell will replace Watling when he retires in the next 18 months or so...

vandem

International 12th Man
Yeah, he's [Conway] going to have another domestic season to prove this summer wasn't a fluke...
Conway will be 29 next summer. I don't know what benefit NZ cricket gets from leaving him in domestic cricket. He may not play all 3 formats for NZ, but should be in all squads. And yes, is tough on Will Young.

Conway last 3 seasons stats below. I don't think 2019-20 was a fluke.

NZ PS

2017-18 4 matches, 238 runs @ 39
2018-19 7 matches 659 runs @ 82
2019-20 6 matches 701 runs @ 87

NZ FT

2017-18 7 matches, 263 runs @ 52
2018-19 12 matches 411 runs @ 37
2019-20 10 matches 553 runs @ 55

The Hutt Rec

Conway will be 29 next summer. I don't know what benefit NZ cricket gets from leaving him in domestic cricket. He may not play all 3 formats for NZ, but should be in all squads. And yes, is tough on Will Young.

Conway last 3 seasons stats below. I don't think 2019-20 was a fluke.

NZ PS

2017-18 4 matches, 238 runs @ 39
2018-19 7 matches 659 runs @ 82
2019-20 6 matches 701 runs @ 87

NZ FT

2017-18 7 matches, 263 runs @ 52
2018-19 12 matches 411 runs @ 37
2019-20 10 matches 553 runs @ 55
Agreed, absolutely pointless leaving him out of the squad, and there will be a lot of pressure on Nicholls to perform, otherwise he’s in at five, I think.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, absolutely pointless leaving him out of the squad, and there will be a lot of pressure on Nicholls to perform, otherwise he’s in at five, I think.
My point was moreso that tours aren't going to go ahead over our winter months. So his next cricket is very likely to be domestic stuff again.

Flem274*

123/5
david white has had a chat to the media. down to a 4 day week, trying to curb spending etc.

this summer could be really niche and awesome if we have to invent our own fun but it will probably be something really corporate instead to squeeze maximum cash from the suspicious kiwi consumer.

The Hutt Rec

david white has had a chat to the media. down to a 4 day week, trying to curb spending etc.

this summer could be really niche and awesome if we have to invent our own fun but it will probably be something really corporate instead to squeeze maximum cash from the suspicious kiwi consumer.
$80 Super Smash tickets for a starved public?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
$80 Super Smash tickets for a starved public?
That's uncomfortably likely. But I'd love to see some kind of North v South series, loaded with Black Caps, and with reasonable prices to encourage a bit of atmosphere at the grounds. We can dream.

Meanwhile, NZ's win against India in the '99 World Cup is on atm. A really good chase of 250.

Flem274*

123/5
come onnnnn conference cricket, with wagner and jamieson loaned back to south where they've played most of their professional cricket.

guptill
raval
kane (c)
phillips
seifert
watling (wk)
cdg
southee
somerville
ferguson
boult

rachin
blundell
conway
the boss (c)
young
neesham
cleaver (wk)
bracewell
ajaz
tickner
bennett

latham (c)
rutherford
murdoch
nicholls
carter
smith
fletcher (wk)
rippon
jamieson
henry
wagner

souths batting is a bit thin but this would be a fun tri-series.

The Hutt Rec

I think Sky can only show stuff from previous World Cups and ICC events now (which it still has the rights to), the NZC rights transferred to Spark on 1st of April.

Gutting but I'd still like to see our 2000 Champions Trophy semi and final, and the 2000 Women's World Cup final. Fingers crossed.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh, they're playing the NZ v Pakistan '99 semi-final this afternoon. I have no desire to see that again.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder what its like to be Daniel Flynn. The man retires knowing the one thing he'll be remembered for by most is getting skulled by Jimmy Anderson before he was even in his prime.