• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Funny to compare that ODI series last season vs India to this year’s one ... you’re right, I had totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

We got destroyed and they were understrength without Bumrah. This time we were understrength and took it out easily. No logic to it.

India must be mentally shattered after the World Cup semi. :-O

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bangladesh squad predictions anyone?

Assuming everyone is fully fit, and we take a squad of 15:

Batsmen:
1. Williamson
2. Taylor

3. Latham
4. Watling+
5. Blundell+
6. Nicholls
7. Young

Seam Bowlers:
8. Wagner
9. Southee
10. Boult
11. Jamieson
12. de Grandhomme

Spin Bowlers:
13. Patel
14. Somerville
15. Sodhi

I guess the main questions will be...will they bother taking Santner, and will they risk Ferguson? Jamieson's surely jumped him in the pecking order now. Young as batting cover as he could potentially open or bat 5, should Blundell need to replace an injured Watling or Nicholls gets dropped.

Previous tourists in bold.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh squad predictions anyone?

Assuming everyone is fully fit, and we take a squad of 15:

Batsmen:
1. Williamson
2. Taylor

3. Latham
4. Watling+
5. Blundell+
6. Nicholls
7. Young

Seam Bowlers:
8. Wagner
9. Southee
10. Boult
11. Jamieson
12. de Grandhomme

Spin Bowlers:
13. Patel
14. Somerville
15. Sodhi

I guess the main questions will be...will they bother taking Santner, and will they risk Ferguson? Jamieson's surely jumped him in the pecking order now. Young as batting cover as he could potentially open or bat 5, should Blundell need to replace an injured Watling or Nicholls gets dropped.

Previous tourists in bold.
Yeah I'd probably go with the same squad. Blundell being the backup keeper while also being the first choice opener could potentially rub the selectors the wrong way, but it's absolutely the right call to not use a slot up on another keeper IMO.

Sodhi v Santner is probably the decision that will cause the most headaches at the selection meeting.

jcas0167

International Debutant
someone who will be unretired in 2023.

this series is one of the least important because conditions couldn't be more different to india 2023.

kiwis need to let go of the idea that australia are the ultimate, especially in jamodis. we can't hurt them by winning jamodis anyway, but we can hurt ourselves by overvaluing them.

indias 4-1 jamodi win down here was ancient history after the wc semi. do you remember those jamodis? i don't, but i remember the beautiful, majestic indian top order collapse in the semi after the commentators had spent 50 overs fellating india.
Ha, yes although that series was basically a warm-up for the World Cup which was 4 months away. It was always going to be quickly overshadowed by the WC. I see the Hadlee Chappell, particularly in Australia, as having greater significance than most of the other ODI series we play. I still fondly remember NZ sweeping Hussey's 2007 tourists 3-0 when McMillan and McCullum came to the fore. Doing that on their turf would be amazing. Especially when we are coming off an embarrassing test tour on their soil and they are potentially wondering whether NZ can be competitive in their conditions.

I do wonder what the crowds will be like for this though with covid-19 concerns :ph34r:

The Hutt Rec

I’m still having nightmares about Henry’s last ODI trip to those shores, will be interesting to see how he goes this time.

thierry henry

International Coach
Been reading a heap of comments from mainstream social media dickheads debating the merits of Southee v Jamieson, saying we have to pick Jamieson, some saying Southee has earned his spot back etc.

It's like even though he's in the squad, it's been completely forgotten by the masses that Henry is an incumbent and should be basically a lock.

I've been beating the drum for Henry on the grounds of basic common sense and yet....I have a sinking feeling his style of bowling is going to continue to fail in Aus and Jamieson would do better. Yet, it's almost impossible to justify dropping Henry.

jcas0167

International Debutant
You see sometimes the All Blacks have someone who is excellent and hasn't played badly but someone else offers some X-factor which demands their inclusion. I think that is the case with Jamieson v Henry. Although, I suspect they will pick Henry.

NZTailender

Been reading a heap of comments from mainstream social media dickheads debating the merits of Southee v Jamieson, saying we have to pick Jamieson, some saying Southee has earned his spot back etc.

It's like even though he's in the squad, it's been completely forgotten by the masses that Henry is an incumbent and should be basically a lock.

I've been beating the drum for Henry on the grounds of basic common sense and yet....I have a sinking feeling his style of bowling is going to continue to fail in Aus and Jamieson would do better. Yet, it's almost impossible to justify dropping Henry.
Matt "ODI bowling performance of the Year" Henry has never reached the media highs or lows in the same way as Southee, or even Jamieson of late. Tends to do his business at ODI level without huge kudos outside of the nerd circles. Shame, really.

The Hutt Rec

Matt "ODI bowling performance of the Year" Henry has never reached the media highs or lows in the same way as Southee, or even Jamieson of late. Tends to do his business at ODI level without huge kudos outside of the nerd circles. Shame, really.
He did have a groundswell of support amongst stuff comment boomers when left out of the 2015 World Cup squad though ... “he got a five wicket bag in ford trophy the other day” was their call to arms, I seem to remember.

The Hutt Rec

Henry was coming off a five wicket bag and Man of the Match performance in the deciding ODI against Pakistan in the UAE at the end of 2014. He also had that 4 wicket bag on debut the season before against India. At that point Henry was red-hot and outbowling everyone whenever he was picked.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-zealand-tour-of-united-arab-emirates-2014-15
I think in the end McCullum’s book revealed he was next pick and wasn’t in the squad so he could stay match fit. Which I don’t know what that meant if Boult had have got injured for a semi but would have been right for the final. But worked out in the end with Milne going down ... apart from Henry not going that well when he did come in, anyway.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think in the end McCullum’s book revealed he was next pick and wasn’t in the squad so he could stay match fit. Which I don’t know what that meant if Boult had have got injured for a semi but would have been right for the final. But worked out in the end with Milne going down ... apart from Henry not going that well when he did come in, anyway.
I thought Henry's first spell in the semi was excellent. Beat the bat multiple times and bowled a couple of maidens IIRC.

NZTailender

Ah yeah I remember Henry had just been bowling hot stuff in the UAE iirc and Boult got into the squad despite playing 6 odis or something, and we were all wtf? Turned out to be a masterstroke, even if we did blow it in the final (not the bowlers fault).

checking the stats now, at that point Henry had only played about 6 ODIs and Boult about twice as many. Fair dues.

edit: I think the issue was Henry was average the mid teens with the ball by the time the WC rolled around and Boult averaged 35.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

I thought Henry's first spell in the semi was excellent. Beat the bat multiple times and bowled a couple of maidens IIRC.
I was at the game and that’s what I remember, but I’ve seen people saying he was rubbish so just went with it haha.

Crowd was right behind him in that match, too.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
From a distance, I would have thought there would be space for both of Boult and Henry in the squad. Not sure what the point of having a past his prime Kyle Mills in the squad was?

The Hutt Rec

Mills was still great, but had to bowl out early. Look at his last ODI figures, 2/29 off ten vs Pakistan earlier that season.

Moss

Good as Henry was for most part of the World Cup (that outing against West Indies excepted), he's definitely regressed since 2015-16 when he was a gun strike bowler. I guess being a permanent second in line to Southee /Boult as a new ball bowler didn't help but equally you get the feeling he hasn't adapted to the demands of international cricket. Still rate him and regard him as first choice in the one day side these days (though I'd be wary of starting him in Australia this month), but remembering the kind of fanfare he enjoyed on this forum back then it feels like a largely unfulfilled career (to say nothing of his test career).