• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sucks to have it announced the day before a test starts. Might be a bit less enthusiasm than normal in that commentary box tomorrow.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nice. That was just before the fresh out of High School Vettori was called up to the test side.

That really is the end of an era with Radio Sport bowing out. It was bad enough when they stopped doing commentary for the Plunket Shield. I enjoyed them going around the grounds, from Alan McLaughlan in Akl, Kevin Hart in ND, Ron Snowden in Wellington, Peter Sharp in Chch and Garth Galloway in Otago. I can't remember who the CD based commentator was.

Likely that is also the end of the line for the Coney & Waddle team. I vaguely remember a book they put out in the 90's with John Parker who used to be part of the Sports Roundup comms team, The Lazy Days of Summer?

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
So good.

ND's 10 and 11 scored 11 Test tons between them - the rest of the batting order had four between them. Wellington...total of zero.
Weenink got a blazing List A century a few matches prior though ... I remember listening to that game on the radio and thinking Wellington’s and just maybe NZ’s opening problems were solved.

Last edited:

Immenso

I certainly pine for the days of Sports Roundup, I know that cricket commentary no longer being on Radio Sport is a bad thing, but I find it difficult to listen to anyway.

I don't do a drive commute and I'm not a potterer around in my shed kind of guy. So these days the only time I would listen to Radio Sport is when there is a cricket test on, and I might stream via I Heart Radio to my phone while walking home. So only 5 to 10 times a year.

I used to listen much, much more when they had the Australian radio broadcasting rights. And would tue it a lot during an Ashes summer.

Which is kind of getting to my point.

The Australian broadcasts would still be of a good quality with experienced commentators, grounded in the public broadcasting conditions of the ABC.

As RS don't do any Plunket Shield cricket broadcasting anymore for the 15 or so years - the quality of the main commentator (apart from Waddle and G Galloway for Christchurch test) is extremely difficult to listen to. There is no flow.

You can tell they have a checklist of 'how to paint a picture via words' that they've had passed down to them by the old commentary greats but they have trouble implementing it in a smooth and natural manner.

I don't need to be told 6 times an over that Wagner is bowling with his left arm. I also don't need to be told after or before every ball if he is bowling over or around the wicket. Just tell me once per over and when he changes.

By the time the commentator has interrupted his co-comments expert (mid interesting story or analysis) at the start of the bowlers run up to describe the runup, over/round the wicket, which arm, the shot (actually essential) then told how many metres from the fielder it has dribbled, the fielders name, then described the field setting (6 times and over), then told us the score (6 times and over) .... then back to you Coney, Petrie or McSweeney to continue your interesting story/analysis ... for 10 seconds before I interrupt you again with the fascinating news that Wagner is about to run in again , not sure yet which arm he will be using .....

It's a hard job, I'm sure, and filling in time between a producer patching in talkback is their apprenticeship.

Last edited:

Immenso

On the 'Sports Roundup' days.

I started listening in my teenage years - 89/90 season. It seems that was a big change that year, in that they had commercial sponsorship for the first time and subsequently maybe a slightly expanded programme. Mobile, Comalco (The Tiwai Point smelter for you younguns), and one other I can't remember.

As Jcas described. Each association base had 2 broadcsters:
- Auckland: Alan Richards and Alan MacLaughlin
- ND: Kevin Hart and ? maybe John Parker
- CD: I aslo can't remember
- Wellington: Snowdon and Waddle
- Canterbury: Peter Sharp
- Otago: Ian Galloway and Steve Davie

Then for the test match the 6 best would be brought together. The test commentary was brilliant. Or maybe the 2 locals plus 4 other best.

But before I get too misty eyed. Sports Roundup shared the same frequency as Parliament radio. So by the time February came around and if Parliament was in session. Then by law, they had to broadcast parliament ..... rather than the sport.

Summer only, if no sport on then they would'nt broadcast.

Cricket (Including the Australian cricket) , 2 weeks of the national bowls champs, The ATP and WTA tennis tournaments from Wellington and Auckland. Brian Kelly doing the motorsport reports, and would actually commentate the NZ Grand Prix. The golf open. That was about it, I don't recall any softball commentary. In the mid 90s there was the summer soccer league. But was basically a 75% cricket commentary service.

They used to have these old radio Ashes documentaries / series commentaries programmes that the would put on at the end of the night. Were from the BBC, always the ashes from the 50s and 60s ashes tours to England. Basically they all had wood for John Arlott.

In 1997, it went full commercial, became Radio Sport and went 24 hours 7 days a week, with Martin Devlin doing morning show etc

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
ABC Sport have it sussed with Jim Maxwell, on how to commentate ball by ball.

Hopefully RNZ pick it up with some kind of national sports broadcasting. Agree re frustration around what RS broadcasted. You'd tune in expecting to hear some cricket only to hear a bunch of guys waffling on about rugby.

veganbob

U19 Captain
What is our schedule for the test championship after the Indian series? I could not find any future NZ tests in the schedule!

Immenso

After all I said above re:RS commentary. I actually listened to quite a bit this test.

Much better than I remember from the 'young' main commentators. Good flow.

Dont have the gravitas of those men from years gone by, who spent 4 months a year doing nothing but watching and commentating cricket. But quite acceptable to my fussy ears.

Jezroy

State Captain
Last edited:

NZTailender

Gee that’s a good run for us. Could conceivably end up winning 9 tests on the trot.

Arguably the hardest will be the Bangers.

Would that be enough to get us into the final? Probably not still.
Assuming we don't, we have the biggest break of any team in 2021. No cricket between April and September of any kind. Ridiculous. Afghanistan will play more cricket than us, basically.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah well, the only other teams that have gaps in that window are SL and WI, and we all know that their boards are in a similarly parlous state to our own and have little interest in hosting a money-losing test series against us.

NZTailender

Yeah well, the only other teams that have gaps in that window are SL and WI, and we all know that their boards are in a similarly parlous state to our own and have little interest in hosting a money-losing test series against us.
Australia and SA also have gaps. We should hold a good old fashioned VB tri series somewhere warm.

Immenso

Assuming we don't, we have the biggest break of any team in 2021. No cricket between April and September of any kind. Ridiculous. Afghanistan will play more cricket than us, basically.
You mean winter? Isn't that a good thing? And pretty normal.

Where would you tour in those months anyway apart from England? We've previously done Sri Lanka in August (but that isn't the ideal time, monsoon season) and West Indies in April/May is the traditional slot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Australia and SA also have gaps. We should hold a good old fashioned VB tri series somewhere warm.
Heh, yeah fair call. Perth and Brisbane are stinking hot all year round. Thrown in some games for Darwin, Townsville and the Gold Coast and you're sorted.

NZTailender

You mean winter? Isn't that a good thing? And pretty normal.

Where would you tour in those months anyway apart from England? We've previously done Sri Lanka in August (but that isn't the ideal time, monsoon season) and West Indies in April/May is the traditional slot.
I dunno, I feel like while workload is a huge concern for players, I can't help but wonder how much harm long breaks do in terms of skills and form, not to mention they don't get real game time (unless they get picked up in county or random T20 leagues) which is kind of like starving yourself and then gorging with the food averaging out to the equivalent of 3 meals a day over a normal time period.

At the very least, we could have fringe XIs doing A games during this time.

veganbob

U19 Captain
https://icc-static-files.s3.amazona...8d4-e1a5-4dec-94b4-7121fab3cd7f/ICC_Tours.pdf

Two in Bangladesh in August, and then five at home from November to January (three vs. West Indies, two vs. Pakistan).
Thanks!! Would give a like If I knew how to :laugh:

Pretty good draw for the rest of the test championship- Although well deserved as we had lanka away, Aus away and india home so far.
Probably won;t make the final but it would still be nice to finish top 3 of test championship if we could.