• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, would have thought he would wait till after the India tests which he would have been in line to start in.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Here's the A team for first 'test' in an attempted batting order:

Hamish Rutherford (c)
Rachin Ravindra
Will Young
Glenn Phillips
Mark Chapman
Cole McConchie
Dane Cleaver (wk)
Jacob Duffy
Michael Rae
Ajaz Patel
Edward Nuttall
---------------------------
12th: Sean Solia

Last edited:

Immenso

and here's the A team for second 'test' in a batting order:

Hamish Rutherford (c)
Rachin Ravindra
Will Young
Glenn Phillips
Tim Seifert
Daryl Mitchell
Dane Cleaver (wk)
Ish Sodhi
Jacob Duffy
Michael Rae
one more bowler to be added post the BLACKCAPS T20 series (Tickner or Bennett)
12th: Cole McConchie

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I guess Jamieson is getting the ODIs.
Yeah, sounds like it from Larsen's comments:

Kyle would have been selected for these four-day matches, but with the current injury concerns amongst our fast bowlers, we feel it’s better he stays focused on white-ball cricket.

“He’s just finished three very competitive one-day games against India A, including an impressive 4-49 in the final game, and will play in the Ford Trophy this week to be primed for the ODI series if required.

“Kyle impressed the coaching staff in his time with the Test squad for the Melbourne and Sydney Tests and will feel comfortable in the environment if included.

Immenso

The bowling for the first match is a shocker.

Will be a good workout for the batsmen with scoreboard pressure piled on against a sub-standard attack plus a huge tail, and a good (or potentially disastrous) workout for Ajaz with zero seamer quality at the other end.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, would have thought he would wait till after the India tests which he would have been in line to start in.
I hadn't even thought that far ahead...like he could have fully intended to retire but played those tests anyway. This only makes sense if he was actively trying to avoid the India tests.

Immenso

By my reckoning. Excluding established internationals, current call-ups and injuries. Means the A team for the first 'test' is down to out 12th to 14th choices.

Missing:
Southee
Boult
Wagner
Henry
Fergusson
Milne
Bracewell
Kuggeleijn
Bennett
Jamieson

Also missing Sears who would have been chosen I would have thought.

Also, probably didn't consider N Smith as just back from injury, not that he would have deserved a call up IMO. Although he has good current season white-ball stats, to be fair.

I'm thinking that's a scary lack of depth (Duffy, Rae, Nuttall). but in a historical context, I'm not sure how previous 12/13th to 14th/15th choices would have stacked up in comparison. It is a worry that all the top 11 are aged 27 upwards except Jamieson who is 25.

Of those who missed out:
- Newton got just the one list A game.
- Van Beek and Wheeler's opportunities have passed?

Last edited:

nzfan

and here's the A team for second 'test' in a batting order:

Hamish Rutherford (c)
Rachin Ravindra
Will Young
Glenn Phillips
Tim Seifert
Daryl Mitchell
Dane Cleaver (wk)
Ish Sodhi
Jacob Duffy
Michael Rae
one more bowler to be added post the BLACKCAPS T20 series (Tickner or Bennett)
12th: Cole McConchie
Nathan Smith?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
IMO

1. Hamish Rutherford
2. Will Young
3. Rachin Ravindra
4. Glenn Phillips
5. Mark Chapman
6. Dane Cleaver+
7. Sean Solia
8. Ajaz Patel
9. Michael Rae
10. Jacob Duffy
11. Edward Nuttall

With Solia missing the second game he may get the nod ahead of McConchie, they may drop Ravindra (or bat him stupidly low) with the second side looking like

1. Hamish Rutherford
2. Will Young
3. Tim Seifert
4. Glenn Phillips
5. Daryl Mitchell
6. Dane Cleaver+
7. Cole McConchie
8. Ish Sodhi
9. Michael Rae
10. Jacob Duffy
11. Hamish Bennett/Blair Tickner

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tastle's retirement could prompt a whole change of outlook on where they're going to take Ravindra's cricket tbh. It'll be interesting.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

I wonder if Astle got word they are going back to Santner to play an all-rounder/containing role for the home tests vs India and thought to hell with them ...

nzfan

Tastle's retirement could prompt a whole change of outlook on where they're going to take Ravindra's cricket tbh. It'll be interesting.
Young is a high quality batsman, should have made the Black Caps at least couple of years ago. I understand he was getting plenty of 50s and not kicking on but there was never any doubt he was good enough to play at a higher level. Probably timing matters, just when he was blossoming we started to get better (in the last 5-6 years) so he missed out.

As for Ravindra, NZC is right behind him and why not? Either he's performing with the bat or the ball. When he does with both he literally wins games on his own. I'd think NZC is building him for West Indies and Bangladesh series in July-Sept. By the end of the season if Ravindra has some big scores to show they will definitely elevate him. His bowling I think will be very handy in West Indies and Bangladesh. Can bowl, can bat and can catch/field too. Besides I've heard he has amazing attitude, teetotaler, works super hard, very likable character and even when he's playing for HDCC he gives it all rather than some when they go from domestic to club they tend to not care about it. Why wouldn't firebirds or NZC back him? I hope things work out for Ravindra and makes the team. Once he does I think there's going to be no looking back. Has all ingredients to make a super cricketer.

I still think he should play middle order in long format and bowl heaps.