• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
In regard to the Super Smash, we had one fantastic season with a bunch of NZ internationals playing, most games were selling out. Must have been in the early 2010s. Maybe slightly controversial opinion in more knowledgeable cricketing circles, but I'd love or us to have a 2-3 week gap in the international summer over Christmas to have all the Blackcaps and some moderately known international names and really push the Super Smash. Broadcast a game a day like the BBL and actually let people know it's happening and it'd be fantastic. The lack of interest in domestic cricket is a real pity, because there's more talent then people realise.

The obvious negative is that it could cut in to the already swindling number of tests we play each summer. I reckon it'd beat out the rubbish T20 international matches though...
Fantastic idea, if middle of the summer doesn't work they can target last three weeks of March. Good practice for IPL as well for some that play IPL. They could do better but they aren't thinking proper.

nzfan

Gavin Larsen bizarrely coming up trumps in plucking Zak Gibson out of obscurity (List A average 43, first-class average of 60 after 14 outings). Became a new ball outswing bowler today in a way no one really thought of him before. Solia also swinging it more than would be typical.

Lots of good nuts those. The scorecard doesn't tell this, does it?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
In regard to the Super Smash, we had one fantastic season with a bunch of NZ internationals playing, most games were selling out. Must have been in the early 2010s. Maybe slightly controversial opinion in more knowledgeable cricketing circles, but I'd love or us to have a 2-3 week gap in the international summer over Christmas to have all the Blackcaps and some moderately known international names and really push the Super Smash. Broadcast a game a day like the BBL and actually let people know it's happening and it'd be fantastic. The lack of interest in domestic cricket is a real pity, because there's more talent then people realise.

The obvious negative is that it could cut in to the already swindling number of tests we play each summer. I reckon it'd beat out the rubbish T20 international matches though...

Yes that would've been when New Zealand came back from Australia and only had a three-week Zimbabwe tour lined up for late January in 2011/12. NZC had done so poorly in their agribusiness relations with Sri Lanka and India etc. that summer that they inadvertently created something the Kiwi punter really wanted to sink his teeth into. The rare treat of a full-strength domestic comp.

The Hutt Rec

Yes that would've been when New Zealand came back from Australia and only had a three-week Zimbabwe tour lined up for late January in 2011/12. NZC had done so poorly in their agribusiness relations with Sri Lanka and India etc. that summer that they inadvertently created something the Kiwi punter really wanted to sink his teeth into. The rare treat of a full-strength domestic comp.

Yep, I’d absolutely love to see this reproduced. It would also take away the common argument these days that “super smash stand outs only look good because it’s such a low standard comp”. And seeing Duffy dismiss Taylor would shut up a lot of the people that say our domestic game is so weak. Aaand it might actually give Larsen the confidence to be a bit more adventurous in his selections.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to say that the numbers show Bennett is a better bowler than Boult. More that he has performed very well in his limited opportunities. I didn't realise he had only played 3 ODI's since that 2014 India series where he was particularly impressive.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes he might've been better off if he'd never been a 145 man, in some ways. "Oh his pace is well down" has been a bit of a catch-cry.

In a four-dayer he took a 10/48 or something against Canterbury on one of those quick and well-grassed spring Basin pitches in 2017, then two weeks later they'd put him on a slow one at Lincoln against the West Indies. Ferguson blew him away. From then on, "thirtysomething Bennett's a bit like a bowling Munro. It needs everything laid on just right for it to fire."

The Hutt Rec

Will always remain one of NZ cricket's most unfathomable decisions that he was never given a shot before the 2019 World Cup. A Larsen special. Should have known he'd get his recall the season after.

Flem274*

123/5
bennett bowls into the deck so slow dogs will never be his forte but the wc was in england and the pitches were either going to be motorways or the ones we ended up getting. he would have been a fantastic addition to the squad.

the t20 wc is in aus which will suit him apart from the whole 'nz player against any australian' bit.

he should also be in test reckoning and ahead of matt henry now (but behind wagner/boult/lockie/southee).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bennett not getting a spot is why we didn't win the world cup imo. Would've played in the final for sure.

Flem274*

123/5
we didn't win the wc because of marais erasmus and kumar dharmasena being incompetent or on the ecb payroll. i still haven't decided which.

that bowling attack we fielded was gold. even the weaker links cdg and neesham lifted their game for the wc. a shame we persisted with munro and guptill/latham lost all form and confidence.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bennett is a better limited overs bowler than Henry has ever been and than Southee has been since like 2012. Better than anyone besides Boult and Ferg imo and by a solid margin.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Henry isn't an ace in ODIs, he's a worse version of Kyle Mills. He also hardly dominated at the world cup. He had a pretty good world cup, and you could call it average if not for a great performance against India in the semi. He even got himself dropped for a game after conceding 80 to the Windies. Ended up with less wickets than Neesham ffs and he's a liability in the last 10 overs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that Henry is a perfectly adequate ODI bowler and even with my Southee loyalty, I don't really think they're that far apart in terms of overall skill level. But Bennett for the last two years at the very least has been better than both.

Flem274*

123/5
turn it up. his death bowling was even on point in the knock outs. we were all very surprised by this.

kyle mills was a world class odi bowler for a very long time. if henry replicates his career or betters it (which he is on track to do) then we have been well served.

there are several light years between henry and southee in odis, and bennett taking domestic poles is encouraging for his international return because the ford trophy has been very trustworthy since the 2011 wc but it doesn't make him better than odi incumbents until he proves it.

but we get it, you hate henry and you hate being wrong even more. it's ok, we still love you for who you are and your woeful takes on bowlers.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hyped to see Bennett in the T20's. Hopefully he has such a great series that he can't be denied anymore. Lots to be skeptical about Kuggelejin's bowling but I believe his talent and potential should be persisted with. His batting is something I'm a big fan of as well. Gutted for Neesham. Hopefully he heals up to take part in the remaining LO's for the summer. He is key.

Another guy I really want to see get some success is Sodhi...he's fell of the planet like Milne in recent times and I'd love to see him get his mojo back.

Here's hoping that Southee gets injured or something...this guy just has to be there to occupy someone else's spot. Someone a lot more deserving.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry isn't an ace in ODIs, he's a worse version of Kyle Mills. He also hardly dominated at the world cup. He had a pretty good world cup, and you could call it average if not for a great performance against India in the semi. He even got himself dropped for a game after conceding 80 to the Windies. Ended up with less wickets than Neesham ffs and he's a liability in the last 10 overs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that Henry is a perfectly adequate ODI bowler and even with my Southee loyalty, I don't really think they're that far apart in terms of overall skill level. But Bennett for the last two years at the very least has been better than both.
How can you say a guy who hasn't played any international cricket has been better than Henry and Southee? Pretty hard to judge, would it not?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry is a gun ODI bowler if, and this was the same for Millsy, you keep him away from bowling at the death for which he's completely unsuited. It's OK to say he might've had an average World Cup without the India SF but he did, and it was pretty well match winning.