• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

thierry henry

International Coach
Anton Devcich was brought in as an overseas player for the BBL but in the SS he's just there to get hit for 6 every ball. I rest my case.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Big bash is over rated in my opinion. Sure they are not bad but not as good as they are made out to be. The bigger crowds, past legends commentating and coverage make it bigger than it is.

I wouldn't say super smash is at the same level but not too far behind. If we can open 2 spots to overseas players likely SS will be better. That said I've liked it this year with NZC setting a rule of no overseas players. The problem is some teams get really good overseas players where as some real duds. If there are 2 quality overseas players that can contribute in the dressing room and help out the sides that's perfect.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's like, you watch Big Bash and somehow you start believing that "Zahir Khan" and "Qais Ahmad" are these big stars.

Yet you could watch say Martin Guptill, a pretty elite white ball player, in the SS and be like, meh.

Or a better example - guys like Sam Curran and Chris Jordan play in the SS and it's like oh big whoop, we get some fringe England guys. Tom Curran and Chris Jordan go play in the BB and it's "Howie" and co giving it the biggun, and suddenly you believe you're watching some razzle dazzle superstar imports bowling heat and smoking fat cities.

nzfan

Australia are sooooooo much better about hyping up sport than NZ.
Looks like the commentators get good training to do this prior getting on the mike. Our commies are just so boring but to the point in defining the game... Sometime the Aussie ones can get on the nerves but they are doing a fine job for the sport though.

nzfan

Oh same with IPL. Barring Indian reps, some good overseas players the rest of the IPL players are just mediocre domestic players. The hype around it makes it huge.. the overseas players that turn up are the best in the world in that format though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ broadcast in general seems to have a hard time selling anyone as a "star", we even do everything we can to make our rugby player idols seem as down to earth as anyone.

The Hutt Rec

I went to a Big Bash game in Aus while there for the Boxing Day test, and have to say the standard seemed very mediocre to me. Have seen a lot better in the Super Smash.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
TBF 1 T20 game in 2014 is a ridiculously rough standard to judge everything on. India could get thrashed by Bangladesh in a single 1 off T20 game. The prior year a Volts team that absolutely should not have won our competition on paper, beat the Australian team handily and narrowly avoided making the finals on NRR in a pool with Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai Indians (who won their semis and faced each other in the eventual final).

The gulf is massively overstated.
That Otago team had the McCullum brothers, Neesham and ten Doeschate. And iirc that is the only time an NZ team beat an Australian team in the CPL, and the Perth Scorchers team that played in that tournament was so denuded by the IPL sides that they only fielded 4 of the team that played in the BBL final.

Flem274*

123/5
australia v nz standard is always very one way compared to say both v ipl

they had to rig the champions league to rnsure the ipl sides still fluked it but australias mental hold over nz will always have one result

Athlai

Not Terrible
2014 Neesham isn't really that outstanding tbf. Neither is NcCullum and honestly neither is RTD (in T20). ODIs sure.

Immenso

2014 Neesham was fantastic. Breakout tournament that one for him.
RtD was the best player in the HRV Cup.

Shame that stupidly lop-sided tournamewnt got canned. Haven't really followed T20 since then. Made HRV interesting,a nd was fun to watch the NZ teams in the CL until they got knocked out.

The next years version was breakout for Boult as a white ball player. That plus Hoswie's constant whinging about old Man River finally swayed the selcetors just in time for CWC 2015.

Poor old Wellington celebrating like they're all on for 100k bonuses the next year upon winning the domestic comp only to have the CL rug pulled from under us all.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I mean in the sense of calling him some kind of international superstar that unfairly benefits Otago. Should we remove Conway or Bennett from Wellington?

Immenso

OK, Got ya.

I recall hoping RtD's IPL team wouldn't make the CL qualification, for those reasons. I think they were only missing Fuller probably for county contract reasons, and Duffy was injured.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavin Larsen bizarrely coming up trumps in plucking Zak Gibson out of obscurity (List A average 43, first-class average of 60 after 14 outings). Became a new ball outswing bowler today in a way no one really thought of him before. Solia also swinging it more than would be typical.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
In regard to the Super Smash, we had one fantastic season with a bunch of NZ internationals playing, most games were selling out. Must have been in the early 2010s. Maybe slightly controversial opinion in more knowledgeable cricketing circles, but I'd love or us to have a 2-3 week gap in the international summer over Christmas to have all the Blackcaps and some moderately known international names and really push the Super Smash. Broadcast a game a day like the BBL and actually let people know it's happening and it'd be fantastic. The lack of interest in domestic cricket is a real pity, because there's more talent then people realise.

The obvious negative is that it could cut in to the already swindling number of tests we play each summer. I reckon it'd beat out the rubbish T20 international matches though...

Immenso

Gavin Larsen bizarrely coming up trumps in plucking Zak Gibson out of obscurity (List A average 43, first-class average of 60 after 14 outings). Became a new ball outswing bowler today in a way no one really thought of him before. Solia also swinging it more than would be typical.
Like Duffy, his follow through is pitiful.

Not that I'm an expert on how a follow through impacts on the bowling action.

Plenty to work with.

Last edited: