• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
James Marshall???????!!!!!!. Was that a typo?.

I suppose 20/20 doesnt matter that much, it might be just a chance to stick some other guys in and give them a bit of experience against international bowlers and batsmen but........ some of those selections are strange..Glad Mark Gillespie is going to get a go.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Marshall is a waste of space, he won't bat up the order because that is full with Fleming, Astle, McCullum and Taylor and he can't really bat much lower because he doesn't have the hitting capabilities.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I have come to the conclusion that Bracewell suffers from some sort of mental illness and these selections are a cry for help. Let us be supportive in his time of need.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He must be reassuring those of us still not convinced of the value of Twenty20 that he does not take the matches seriously.

Hoping for a less ridiculous ODI squad.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Matt52 said:
I have come to the conclusion that Bracewell suffers from some sort of mental illness and these selections are a cry for help. Let us be supportive in his time of need.
:laugh: :laugh:

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
If this is a serious squad and not some sort of piss take then Bracewell has rated James Marshall ahead of Lou Vincent, Jesse Ryder, and Craig McMillan.:wacko: :-O :@

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ridiculous.

Also, How. Seriously, now. After scores of 11, 37, 0, 9*, 0, 4 - why was he in the final test?

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Loony BoB said:
Also, How. Seriously, now. After scores of 11, 37, 0, 9*, 0, 4 - why was he in the final test?
Whoa, glad you aren't a selector. Plenty of reasons.

1: There was no good reason not to give him the full series after we won the first game. Why change it up for one test when the next test series is eleven months away?

2: Who else do you put in his place? Bracewell is finally getting it right and asking proper openers to open the innings. J.How is one of the best openers that New Zealand has right now based on first-class form. Why expect anyone else to perform better taking the huge step up to debut at test level?

3: J.How IMO looked a million bucks out there today before a really unlucky dismissal. He was playing positively with great shots (and choosing the right balls to play) with the team staring down a huge total and being personally on a lean trot himself. He didn't make a huge score but he didn't scratch around and look out of for or place either. I would compare it to Ross Taylor's game where he played his best ODI innings. It wasn't a big score but it showed the talent and potential of the player, and that he should be given more oppourtunities in the team.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Oddly enough, a dismissal is a dismissal, unlucky or not, and he remains unable to score 50 (let alone 38) runs in ten innings now. How many chances do you give the guy? Papps is a better opener.

I'll be more than happy to see him suddenly make a score, but with a year to go now, it's a shame we won't be able to see what'll happen. Form will mean nothing by then, I'm guessing. This is one of the reasons NZ will never do well at test cricket - we simply don't have the games for players to find form and keep it. They have to keep starting from scratch over and over again.

Either way, I'm glad you're not a selector too. James Marshall was a better opener - he passed 50 once in his seven tests and averaged a good nine or so runs more. I don't think James Marshall should open, but I also think How has had his ten innings and managed nothing outside of apparently knowing when to play a ball and when not to. You actually need to know how to make a big score more than once in ten innings as an opener, and even if he was showing a lot of good talent in this innings, that shouldn't be what you put an opener in for. Potential means nothing if you don't reach it often enough. 0 times is not often enough.

Can't wait for the next test series. Unfortunately we have to. :(

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Just heard today that Tama Canning has retired from domestic stuff in Nz. Good player and good luck to him but might be a good chance for a young top order batsman to have a chance in Aucklnad. God knows we need as many as we can.

_Ed_

Canning was a fantastic first-class cricketer and provided many seasons of great service for Auckland. He just didn't seem to be able to make that step up to be a successful ODI player, disappointing since he had the talent.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
That we do, that we do.

Geoff Barnett (907 @ 32.39, averaging 11.75 in ODIs for Canada).
ODI's??? He'd have to wait another 5 years before being eligible for New Zealand then, yeah?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he would want to be eligible for New Zealand really, once he waits the time he will be getting on a bit and probably wouldn't get much of a chance. Better of playing for Canada. Sad to see Tama Canning go, he was a very solid cricketer and provided a good service for Auckland.

_Ed_

James90 said:
ODI's??? He'd have to wait another 5 years before being eligible for New Zealand then, yeah?
He's NZ-born, born in Nelson.

He's missed a lot of Canada's games lately to play for Central in the State Championship, so I'd guess he has his eyes on a Test career for NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Although it's disappointing that Canning threw in the towel, I think it might be a blessing in disguise. Let's face it, he was never going to make the BC's again and he was taking up an opening bowlers slot for Auckland with his medium pace. I hope Auckland looks to try and blood in a new quick bowler.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
James Marshall is a bit of a joke selection considering he looked woefully out of his depth last time he played international cricket. I have no idea why they aren't giving Ryder a crack. There must be something holding him back...perhaps his fitness?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Perhaps they're going to unleash him in the ODI's?

But why wait????. 20/20 is the perfect opportunity to blood a new guy because it hasnt been around that long so people are still not overly fussed about the result, or a batsmans average, its just a bash a thon.

If Ryder was going to come in for the one-dayers then the 20/20 games would have given him the perfect chance to have a quick look at Murali and/or Malinga's bowling before the serious stuff starts.

There is no logic in these selections. Bracewell is simply a ..........................

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Hopefully Bracewell is finally thinking lets not throw a young talented player into the lions den just yet. Give him a few more seasons....

Thats the only reason i can see why he has been left out.

James Marshall
Brendon McCullum
Stephen Fleming
Nathan Astle
Peter Fulton
Ross Taylor
Peter McGlashan
Andre Adams
Shane Bond
Mark Gillespie
Jeetan Patel

Would be my team for the first 20/20
The order can be changed around abit. Rather Someone other then marshall be playing. But ah well

Natman20

International Debutant
James Marshalls selection came out of the blue. He has not even performed at first class level and shouldn't have got anywhere near selection no matter what fromat the game is being played. I don't know what is wrong with the New Zealand selectors not to give some of the new PROMISING players a go. What will James Marshall do? He would be a burden on the team. At least it is only the Twenty20s which I dont really care that much about.