• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with James in the sense that the general public do not really care about Test matches and that's understandable. The real cricket fan's care about test's far more than ODI's and I think its a reasonable statement to make that Bond should stop playing FC cricket. Canterbury already have all the stars.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Perm said:
I think its a reasonable statement to make that Bond should stop playing FC cricket. Canterbury already have all the stars.
I agree with that, although he hardly ever plays domestic cricket anyway, so I don't imagine it'd make much difference.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I would imagine that decision would ultimately be up to Bond - he may prefer playing FC / test cricket to one day cricket, so who's to deny him? Then again, he always seems like someone who's almost obligated to do the job lately. :(

EDIT: Patel for the test side... yes/no?

Perm

Loony BoB said:
Patel for the test side... yes/no?
No, needs to improve his First Class record first, he averages 39 which isn't good enough. Give him another season at domestic level.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Perm said:
No, needs to improve his First Class record first, he averages 39 which isn't good enough. Give him another season at domestic level.
He's not going to get that chance. He'll be spending much of the next 6 months in the national side, where his form has been impressive.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Perm said:

I think he is ready now,. Playing on green seamers doesnt help a spin bowler's average in NZ conditions and playing in a test match, you would assume the pitches would be of a better quality to allow the spin bowlers more of a chance. he would be handier overseas than in NZ I think.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would someone be able to give me a list of left-handed openers in NZ? I think we're missing a trick here. most of the other nations with successful opening combinations (compared to ours) have at least one left hander. Our last decent opener, Richardson, was a left hander.

And if there's no decent left handed openers at domestic level...will we see a promotion for Oram and Vettori? :shock:

Remember, we have to ignore the 'Fleming as Opener' option...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZTailender said:
Remember, we have to ignore the 'Fleming as Opener' option...
That we do, that we do.

The following openers (that I can think of) are lefties: Tim McIntosh (2961 FC runs @ 32.90), Geoff Barnett (907 @ 32.39, averaging 11.75 in ODIs for Canada), Luke Woodcock (1536 @ 26.03).

There must be more but these are the only ones I know of.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He has had a good season, after a shocking slump that lasted about 2 years he is making good runs for Auckland at the moment.

NZTailender

Hopefully he can continue that form until NZ's next test series. I would replace How with McIntosh at the moment.

Perm

I was thinking about digging this thread up. Anyway I would make Jamie How go back to the State Championship unless he can score a century in the current game, he needs to work on his batting and get a lot more runs under his belt before getting a permanent spot in the Test side. McIntosh has had a reasonably good year, couple of decent scores but I doubt we'll see him due to the inconsisent nature of his, and the Auckland batting.

Somebody I can see as an opener for the Black Caps next November is Todd Astle. He has been doing a fairly good job for Canterbury and his bowling is an added bonus, since Nathan Astle and maybe Scott Styris would be retiring after the World Cup. However he needs to score more runs for Canterbury in FC cricket but I can see him in the Black Caps in the future.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Justin Langer was a middle order player[/QUOTE]

:ph34r: He was? Err I don't think so. He's always been a top order batsman. Made his debut as a No 3 against the then powerful Windies back in 92/93

Last edited:

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
JF. said:
Justin Langer was a middle order player
:ph34r: He was? Err I don't think so. He's always been a top order batsman. Made his debut as a No 3 against the then powerful Windies back in 92/93[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. I said middle order but I just meant he wasnt an opener. Top order is a swear word in NZ cricket so we call batsmen either middle order players, or the "O" word.

By the way. I just read that Oram and Styris are both expected to not be fit for the one dayers and 20/20. so that leaves two spots in the batting line up, and since both bowl a little bit, I'd suggest at least one of the replacements has to be able to bowl, We have to make up 10 overs from somewhere.

Also Fulton and Marshall were the incumbents from the Champions trophy in India but both are suspect selections. So This one day series will be very interesting in terms of NZ selections

Ross Taylor has had a good year (although only one good score), averaging 66 in first class cricket, and I think he must be chosen.

So, my next preference would be Jesse Ryder because he regularly bowls for Wellington and I cant think of anyone else.. Maybe McMillan??. Id also drag back Vincent as a middle order player.

Ryder
Astle
Taylor
Fleming
Vincent
McMillan
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie

Perm

1st Twenty20 Team

1. Brendon McCullum (wk)
2. Stephen Fleming (c)
3. Nathan Astle
4. Craig McMillan
5. Lou Vincent
6. Ross Taylor
7. Daniel Vettori
8. Andre Adams
9. James Franklin
10. Jeetan Patel
11. Mark Gillespie

Good idea to bring McMillan back into the fold for the Twenty20's, see if he can offer the ODI side anything and he has been playing quite well for Canterbury. Astle, Fleming basically pick themselves and I've gone with McCullum to open the batting because he could be a chance in the ODI series. Vincent and Taylor get in their over Fulton and Marshall because of their hitting ability. Patel and Vettori to bowl in tandem, it will happen in the ODI's. Bond should be rested which gives us a good reason to try out Mark Gillespie, Andre Adams and James Franklin as our seam bowlers.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Yeah I know. I said middle order but I just meant he wasnt an opener. Top order is a swear word in NZ cricket so we call batsmen either middle order players, or the "O" word."

:laugh: Fair enough.

Well JL has batted quite a bit at No 3 for Western Australia I think. So if you mean top order (sorry for swearing ;-p) then you are right.

NZTailender

From that squad I'd have:

1. B McCullum
2. N Astle
3. R Taylor
4. S Fleming
5. P Fulton
6. P McGlashan (wk)
7. J Marshall
8. A Adams
9. S Bond/J Franklin
10. M Gillespie
11. J Patel

Bond is only playing one match from what I can gather, and being replaced by Mason. However, I'd play Franklin in the second game to give him some more experience in hoping he'll improve in the shorter form of the game...

Last edited: