• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
very interesting video, henry and duffy have very similar actions, unsustainable for long periods, too much forcing it, a lot like liam plunkett. mark gillespie and andy mckay have the most fluent actions very easy ,like bevan small but the video was very blurry scott kuggelijin looks interesting more slingy, a lot more pace than his dad:laugh:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great video I want to watch this a couple more times before I give my opinion on his action.

Talk to y'all tomorrow.

edit - do peeps think he gets side on enough? He maintains a chest on approach until quite late in his delivery action.

Seems to get real bounce a couple of times.

Anyway prefer his action to Henry's.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Drooling over those clips of Small. So irritating that he's been so injury prone, as imo he's definatly the pick of his particular crop, no disrespect to Wheeler.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Since the gaming forum doesn't seem to get frequented much, and the NZ supporters seem the most keen on coming up with ATG XIs in our threads, have any of you been playing Cricket Captain 2014 (or 15?)? I've been enjoying the legends feature, playing series against other ATG sides - although you have to pick them yourselves as well, otherwise you end up facing the latest XI from that country.

So far Chatfield is a super gun in ODIs; often takes more wickets than Paddles as it happens. Turner doesn't always perform as well as expected and Crowe is a bit of a lottery tbh. I'd be interested to know how they set the attributes for each ATG.

Highlight of playing so far: in a Test series vs Aus, JR Reid bowling 2nd change getting the Don out for 4 and Crowe & Twose putting on 220* for the 4th wicket vs England in a ODI (Flintoff, Botham, Willis, Swann and Gough the bowlers).

Last edited:

NZTailender

So with Ross nabbing 17 what do we reckon the All Time XI is now?

1. B Sutcliffe
2. GM Turner
3. KS Williamson
4. MD Crowe
5. LRPL Taylor
6. CL Cairns
7. BB McCullum+
8. DL Vettori
9. Sir RJ Hadlee
10. S Bond
11. T Boult

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
The period McCullum would make it is the period he wasn’t keeping ... so keeper is a tricky one.

Apart from that I don’t think I’d make any changes. Feels a bit harsh not to have more 80s-ness in there, but what can you do.

Andrew Jones for 12th man.

Athlai

Not Terrible

1. B Sutcliffe
2. GM Turner
3. KS Williamson
4. MD Crowe
5. LRPL Taylor
6. CL Cairns
7. BB McCullum+
8. DL Vettori
9. Sir RJ Hadlee
10. S Bond
11. T Boult
Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor

are definitely 2-5 IMO. The only ones I'd quibble about there are Sutcliffe, Cairns, Bond, and Boult. But most days of the week I'd agree with that XI.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The period McCullum would make it is the period he wasn’t keeping ... so keeper is a tricky one.

Apart from that I don’t think I’d make any changes. Feels a bit harsh not to have more 80s-ness in there, but what can you do.

Andrew Jones for 12th man.
Nah you've gotta remember that before McCullum there'd basically never been a New Zealand keeper bat who'd averaged more than mid-20's. And McCullum played a number of excellent innings especially towards the end of his stint as keeper-bat, he scored a hundred against Johnson and Harris at one point. His only serious competition is Watling, and McCullum was a significantly better wicketkeeper, so I'd pick him as my first choice.

NZTailender

Nah you've gotta remember that before McCullum there'd basically never been a New Zealand keeper bat who'd averaged more than mid-20's. And McCullum played a number of excellent innings especially towards the end of his stint as keeper-bat, he scored a hundred against Johnson and Harris at one point. His only serious competition is Watling, and McCullum was a significantly better wicketkeeper, so I'd pick him as my first choice.
Yeah I think from a glove-work point of view McCullum's skill there was overshadowed by his general explosive batting that we remember. His competition is obviously Smith and Watling. McCullum would even potentially captain the team as well.

Other contenders were Cowie (instead of Boult), JR Reid (Cairns) and Richardson (Sutcliffe). A few years ago Jones and JF Reid would've been in the place of Williamson and Taylor, or Fleming.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, for me McCullum strikes the best balance between Smith's skill with the gloves and Watling's ability to make tough runs.

John Wright also a reasonable shout for an opening spot. Was a genuinely world class opener during the second half of his international career.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, for me McCullum strikes the best balance between Smith's skill with the gloves and Watling's ability to make tough runs.

John Wright also a reasonable shout for an opening spot. Was a genuinely world class opener during the second half of his international career.
Parore should be in that conversation, although his batting perhaps didn't quite reach the heights some expected after that 94/95 period where he was the most reliable batsman in the side.

Incidentally, his mountain climbing endeavours are seriously impressive.

This is when things got interesting- not far below C2, with me in the lead and out on my own, I managed to lose my repelling device during a transition- as I released the rope to change at an anchor it literally exploded out of my caribiner, disappearing over the face and into oblivion. I felt the panic explode through me- this was a problem. To calm myself I checked my safety, got myself secure at the anchor and settled back into my harness. Think. Breathe. A quick inventory of my gear and a bit of fiddling about allowed me to settle on a solution- if I reverse up a screw lock caribener, and then use an Italian hitch, that should replicate the required rope motion and get me moving? Suddenly I was grateful for the hours of tutorial and practice Woody and I had put in on rope theory and technique recently. Then the big moment- rig it up, sit back, load it, release safety, we're away. With 2000m exposure below me (pretty much what you can see in the photo- the entire South face of K2), this was the real deal.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11897248

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

1. B Sutcliffe
2. GM Turner
3. KS Williamson
4. MD Crowe
5. LRPL Taylor
6. CL Cairns
7. BB McCullum+
8. DL Vettori
9. Sir RJ Hadlee
10. S Bond
11. T Boult
Since Hadlee and Bond would take the new ball it changes the make up of the rest of the bowling attack. Jack Cowie would be better than Boult, but neither are old ball bowlers and neither is Cairns for that matter. 4 new ball seamers is too many.

Either pick Wagner instead of Boult or Oram instead of Cairns for an old ball bowler.

I'd go:

1. CS Dempster
2. GM Turner
3. KS Williamson
4. MD Crowe
5. LRPL Taylor
6. MP Donnelly
7. BJ Watling+
8. DL Vettori
9. Sir RJ Hadlee
10. S Bond
11. J Cowie

I'd be tempted to pick Wagner instead of Vettori and go for a 4-man pace attack

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Good point, I guess that’s why I was unable to name a replacement in my post. :)

Flem274*

123/5
I think Watling's glovework is perfectly fine for the bowlers he's keeping wicket to, and he's an infinitely better batsman in live match situations than younger McCullum was. Baz became a demi-god later of course. Man if CW still exists in 20 years there might be a few 'what if he was always a batsman...' posts about him by younger members.

i'm also not sold on dan vettori when he's not likely to do much with the ball. reid can bowl both seam and off spin. i'd be tempted to play the underrated Bruce Taylor as our bowling allrounder. never saw him obvz but seems to get the plaudits in cricket writings that cover him and he has an awesome record given the number of tests NZ played in his era.

cowie was an absolute gun, is the only bloke we have who has bowled to bradman and knocked him over, and he trolled one of pews spreadsheet things so how can we not include him?

so i'm going to be a bit different from the other teams posted for the sake of discussion and go

Suttcliffe
Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Taylor, R
Reid
Watling
Taylor, B
Hadlee
Bond
Cowie

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, change of plan. No Sutcliffe, Donnelly, Vettori and Cairns. The latter two's batting can be covered. JR Reid and Williamson will cover the spin bowling requirements. McCullum's explosive batting gets the nod.

1. CS Dempster
2. GM Turner
3. KS Williamson
4. MD Crowe
5. LRPL Taylor
6. JR Reid*
7. BB McCullum+
8. Sir RJ Hadlee
9. N. Wagner
10. SE Bond
11. J Cowie

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cowie was an absolute gun, is the only bloke we have who has bowled to bradman and knocked him over, and he trolled one of pews spreadsheet things so how can we not include him?
I remember Cowie (all-time) and pre-Test-debut Philander ("current", at the time) trolling it in the same way. I spent ages trying to 'fix' this 'error', and then Philander made his Test debut and showed it probably rating him pretty accurately. That said a lot for Cowie IMO. :p