Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *** un-Official - New Zealand Black Caps Thread ***

State 12th Man
    I think Franklin will be a fixture in the starting XI come World Cup time, his allround talents are almost too hard to ignore. I just hope he doesn't open the bowling in ODIs, because like the others have said, he seems to bowl better when the ball starts reversing. I also liked the look of him bowling around the wicket to right-handers and swinging the ball away from them nicely with the old ball. His batting will only improve, and he takes time to set himself in. Wouldn't surprise me if they batted Franklin ahead of McCullum and Vettori in Tests soon, not because he's a better player, but he's a good option to have at 7 to stabilise the 'attacking' middle order.
    GO THE BLACK CAPS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Right arm fast
    sherlock wasn't actually clocked at 150 dayle hadlee just predicted it
    Wonder who Hadlee was relying on for that estimate then. He wasn't actually in SA to make his own.

Remembering back, I think I put two and two together after seeing TV umpires listed on the scorecards, and that you can probably trust a Hadlee to be quoting something relatively precise. Not that it really matters now I suppose.

Copyright Independent Newspapers, Ltd. Nov 5, 2004

"Sherlock reportedly hit speeds of 150kmh in South Africa (on last month's New Zealand A tour), that's got to be the quickest since Shane Bond and before that Gary Bartlett," Hadlee, a former New Zealand fast-medium bowler said.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar

Champions Trophy Squad

Stephen Fleming (captain)
    Nathan Astle
    Shane Bond
    James Franklin
    Peter Fulton
    Mark Gillespie
    Brendon McCullum
    Hamish Marshall
    Kyle Mills
    Jacob Oram
    Jeetan Patel
    Scott Styris
    Daniel Vettori
    Lou Vincent

I know it's been around for a while but I thought if it was reposted in CC we could get a bit more of discussion going on about the possible 11 they will use for the first game against South Africa. Personally I think the team will be fairly predictable with Fleming and Vincent opening, Astle coming in at 3 and Fulton, Marshall and Styris rounding out the top 6. McCullum at 7, Vettori at 8, Franklin at 9, Mills at 10 and Bond at 11. Interested to hear other people's thoughts, not only on the CT but on the Black Caps in general.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    1. Brendon McCullum+
    2. Stephen Fleming*
    3. Nathan Astle
    4. Hamish Marshall
    5. Scott Styris
    6. Peter Fulton
    7. Jacob Oram
    8. Shane Bond
    9. Daniel Vettori
    10. Kyle Mills
    11. James Franklin

Basically the same team that you have Perm, but with Oram in for Vincent and McCullum opening. Might as well try opening with McCullum, seeing as the Black Caps have tried everything else. Oram's bowling should be useful, and I suppose hes a handy bat too. To be honest though, this side really doesn't look to have the fire power to win the CT or even cause some of the top contenders (Australia, SA, Pakistan) much trouble. A lot will depend on whether Shane Bond is firing, IMO.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Bond before Vettori in the batting line-up?

Just sort of threw the tailenders in there in no particular order. Bond is better that Mills and Franklin in my opinion so that would be the only switch. Thing that lineup looks pretty good though. It has 6 bowlers without really sacrificing too much batting.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    In my opinion Oram has not really shown if he is good enough as an ODI player, sure he can clobber boundaries at will and his bowling comes in handy but he only averages 18 with the bat and has the tendency to leak runs in the middle overs when he is bowling. Bond, Franklin, Mills and Vettori will make up most of the overs with Astle and Styris sharing the other 10. The selectors will probably bring in Oram for one of the excess batsman (should be Marshall) though.

Bond is a bit of a biffer at the bottom of the order and has hit a fair few sixes in his time but I doubt they'll promote him over Vettori or Franklin.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    1. Brendon McCullum+
    2. Stephen Fleming*
    3. Nathan Astle
    4. Hamish Marshall
    5. Scott Styris
    6. Peter Fulton
    7. Jacob Oram
    8. Shane Bond
    9. Daniel Vettori
    10. Kyle Mills
    11. James Franklin

Basically the same team that you have Perm, but with Oram in for Vincent and McCullum opening. Might as well try opening with McCullum, seeing as the Black Caps have tried everything else. Oram's bowling should be useful, and I suppose hes a handy bat too. To be honest though, this side really doesn't look to have the fire power to win the CT or even cause some of the top contenders (Australia, SA, Pakistan) much trouble. A lot will depend on whether Shane Bond is firing, IMO.

Good work on ignoring NZ's best ODI opening batsmen for a year or so.

Still not convinced about Franklin in ODI's. My team:

1. L Vincent
    2. N Astle
    3. S Fleming
    4. P Fulton
    5. H Marshall
    6. S Styris
    7. J Oram
    8. B McCullum (wk)
    9. D Vettori
    10. K Mills
    11. S Bond
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender

Still not convinced about Franklin in ODI's. My team:

1. L Vincent
    2. N Astle
    3. S Fleming
    4. P Fulton
    5. H Marshall
    6. S Styris
    7. J Oram
    8. B McCullum (wk)
    9. D Vettori
    10. K Mills
    11. S Bond
    Me neither. And not convinced about Oram either - hopeless batting record in ODIs and his bowling has been poo since he started having trouble with his back. We might as well give Gillespie a go, it's only the Champions Trophy and if he's going to be in our World Cup squad then he needs to get as much experience as possible before then. I'd go with:

1. L Vincent
    2. N Astle
    3. S Fleming
    4. P Fulton
    5. H Marshall
    6. S Styris
    7. B McCullum (wk)
    8. D Vettori
    9. K Mills
    10. S Bond
    11. M Gillespie
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

- Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

*****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Redman
    Me neither. And not convinced about Oram either - hopeless batting record in ODIs and his bowling has been poo since he started having trouble with his back. We might as well give Gillespie a go, it's only the Champions Trophy and if he's going to be in our World Cup squad then he needs to get as much experience as possible before then. I'd go with:

1. L Vincent
    2. N Astle
    3. S Fleming
    4. P Fulton
    5. H Marshall
    6. S Styris
    7. B McCullum (wk)
    8. D Vettori
    9. K Mills
    10. S Bond
    11. M Gillespie

I was going to post that side, then decided against it and included Oram...

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Kiwis have a good ODI team - will be tough to beat in the WC 2007.

Will be competitive in tests on their greentops at home but will be struggle to win away from home....simply because all their bowlers are mediocre with the exception of Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender
    I'm not going to pretend that I am the be all end all when it comes to New Zealand cricket. Still, I haven't been too impressed with Vincent as a one day opener, looks more comfortable in the middle order, but I wouldn't take out any of those batsmen for him with the possible exception of Marshall.

Still, I can't help but feel that theres somthing fundamentally wrong with a team that has Kyle Mills as an automatic selection.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    I think a lot of people under-estimate Kyle Mills. He has improved over the last couple of years and is looking to be a consistent ODI option. Be interesting to see if Tuffey could force his way back into the frame next year. Our New Zealand attack I agree doesn't look that threatening without Bond but we have still managed to win at a consistent level without him. I think our batting depth is finally becoming all-right but i'm not to sure if our bowling depth is very good at all and if a couple of our pace-men got injured I would be worried.

While I do agree that New Zealand's batting depth has improved, their batting is lacking in that they don't have a single batsmen that I would call extremely good. Fleming and Astle come close, but they aren't good enough. They don't really have batsmen that could demolish an attack, besides Astle and hes too inconsistent. Hopefully, some of the young batsmen can step up to fill the void.

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    Mills has been bowling well over the last year, I can't wait to see what he and bond can do together.
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information