• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Hey Mr McCullum, you're behind on your mortgage. We'll have to foreclose"
"Hey wait a minute, we can sort this out! I know! Let me tell you about the time I played at Lord's!"

Last edited:

Spikey

Is a bummer though. NZ and the players seem to have worked out a pretty good deal for each side, and the ECB have **** all over everyone. Instead of playing at Lord's, they should burn it down.

Spikey

hey wait a minute, it's only a 2 test series anyway. **** england send out a weakened squad!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is a bummer though. NZ and the players seem to have worked out a pretty good deal for each side, and the ECB have **** all over everyone. Instead of playing at Lord's, they should burn it down.
What else do you want England to do? There's an Ashes series and a Champions Trophy to schedule that summer.

I blame the BCCI.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah players having the right to do what they want to do is really annoying. their families should be ashamed.
Swing and miss. They shouldn't have to choose. I'm sure you'd be just as honourable, not given the choice.

Flem274*

123/5
This is just the ****ty reality of being lower in the test rankings.

England don't stand a chance anyway so think of it as charity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
push the test out by a single day.
It's not actually that simple when you look at the other schedules (and that's before you look at the Test starting dates it would bring and the new days of the week for the ODIs if you did that)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Some crappy compromise will be reached and the top players will fly in a day before the tests and leave the day after to go sit on a very well-funded bench, if this year's ipl is anything to go by.

We deserve only 2 tests vs England at present. Two tests against the Windies on the other hand - still annngreeeEYeYYe.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's not actually that simple when you look at the other schedules (and that's before you look at the Test starting dates it would bring and the new days of the week for the ODIs if you did that)
cancel the single odi then. and before you scream loss of revenue - a side missing our "star" players isn't going to last 5 days in a test so you would lose revenue there.

Howsie

International Captain
That's sad. It really rips me that 3-4 guys are going to choose family and $ over a Lord's Test, and they have the right to. It shouldn't be an issue.
Yep, as long as they don't accept a six figure New Zealand contract this July it really shouldn't be a problem.

GGG

State Captain
Some crappy compromise will be reached and the top players will fly in a day before the tests and leave the day after to go sit on a very well-funded bench, if this year's ipl is anything to go by.

We deserve only 2 tests vs England at present. Two tests against the Windies on the other hand - still annngreeeEYeYYe.
We deserve because we have a low ranking? Wouldn't more tests give us a chance to improve and raise our ranking? I read somewhere that we have a better win ratio that the WI but since they have played more games they have a better ranking....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cancel the single odi then. and before you scream loss of revenue - a side missing our "star" players isn't going to last 5 days in a test so you would lose revenue there.
It's a 3 ODI series, cancelling one would make absolutely no sense from a sporting or financial point of view.

We deserve because we have a low ranking? Wouldn't more tests give us a chance to improve and raise our ranking? I read somewhere that we have a better win ratio that the WI but since they have played more games they have a better ranking....
Rankings are based on average points per Test so playing more doesn't necessarily mean you have a better ranking.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If the difference between two sides is vast then I don't have a problem with a two test series - no-one benefits from absolute drubbings. Who would have wanted a third test when we toured South Africa in late 2007? In saying that we were competitive enough to make the recent 3-test series vs South Africa at home worthwhile and we'll see where they are compared to England soon. Obviously I want 3-test series minimum unless the teams are on completely different levels.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, as long as they don't accept a six figure New Zealand contract this July it really shouldn't be a problem.
You don't particularly get it, do you. We're expecting cricketers to be loyal to their country and at the same time a carrot is being dangled in front of them (IPL) that sets them up for life. And nothing is being done to remedy it.

But no, it's easier to criticise. Poor old money-making cricketers.

Howsie

International Captain
Oh gee, why don't we just cut the international calendar in half. One summer tour and one winter tour, that way everyones happy. Everyone but the two or three guys with IPL contracts that is.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Players are expected, by and large, by the public to have loyalty to their country and a bunch of faceless fans over the financial security of their family. Sounds feasible, doesn't it.

So we preach at the altar of Guptill, who made himself unavailable for the IPL even though he wouldn't have been picked up and in any case is in danger of losing his national spot. But we frown upon those 'two or three guys' who have selection security and choose to take advantage of their talents and maximise their earnings. Righto.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But isn't the whole issue arising from the fact that their NZC contracts entitle them to 5 weeks off? It's not like they're breaking any of the terms or conditions of their employment. The NZC agreed to this in the first place, so you can hardly blame the players for doing what they're contractually entitled to do.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt they're contractually entitled to 5 weeks holiday whenever they feel like i.e. during a major tour.

It's obvious to me that both extreme views that we might have in this case are wrong
- Viewing national sport as being purely or even primarily about maximising your earning ability is a very sad view of the world
- Making absolutist statements about how playing for your country should trump all financial considerations comes across as sanctimonious when we're not faced with the moral dilemma ourselves

(not saying members of this forum necessarily hold either of the above views)

Hence the need for a crappy compromise somewhere in those shades of grey. My hope is that messrs McCullum and Vettori, who have both already done pretty well out of the IPL and more-or-less set themselves up for life, will forfeit several tens of thousands of dollars from a couple of IPL weeks to at least play the England tests and preferably one warm-up match. It doesn't bother me much if McCullum also plays some meaningless IPL rather than some only-slightly-less meaningless ODIs and T20s vs England.

It's a lot harder for Taylor, because he's the captain, is supposed to set an example and it's a terrible message for him to leave his team to go make some $$$. IMO if he wants to be NZ captain he has to suck it up and play every match vs England.

These guys are perfectly entitled to also express just how pissed off with this scheduling they are to NZC and anyone else, with the hope that this decreases the chance of this sort of conflict being repeated.

Problem solved ;) Now for Israel-Palestine