Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: *** un-Official - New Zealand Black Caps Thread ***

How and Papps were awesome last time around in South Africa, neither one of them scored more than 22...

Should do ‘better’ this time though. The series is going on when historically the wickets should be less favourable to the seamers than it was when New Zealand last toured in May 06.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    How and Papps were awesome last time around in South Africa, neither one of them scored more than 22...

Should do ‘better’ this time though. The series is going on when historically the wickets should be less favourable to the seamers than it was when New Zealand last toured in May 06.
    Can see NZ piling on 400-500 in the first innings then 70-140 in the second.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Well the emerging players tournament is over an has turned up some interesting things. I've managed to get some statistics for the tournament, though they're incomplete as I couldn't find the scorecard for one of the games.

Anyway, the bowling form has been encouraging, especially for James McMillan and Hamish Bennett, while Nathan McCullum turned in some good performances as well.

Bowlers
    McCullum: 9 wickets at 26.44
    McMillan: 8 wickets at 20.88
    Bennett: 8 wickets at 20.88
    Scott: 7 wickets at 26.29
    Nicol: 6 wickets at 24.83
    Adams: 5 wickets at 34.2
    O'Brien: 3 wickets at 38.33

Disappointing from O'Brien, but I get the feeling he was always going to struggle in international cricket anyway. If McMillan can stay fit, I reckon he might be a bolter for the 20/20 World Cup, while Scott looks like a useful one day left armer and Bennett seems to have improved his accuracy quite a lot.

The batting however is very troubling. Of the entire side, only the much derided James Marshall managed to average over 30.

Batters
    Marshall: 223 runs at 31.86
    Broom: 172 runs at 24.57
    Elliot: 163 runs at 27.17
    McCullum: 123 runs at 20.6
    Redmond: 115 runs at 19.17
    How: 108 runs at 18
    Hopkins: 102 runs at 20.4
    Nicol: 64 runs at 12.8

Not very impressive. Admittedly, Cumming and Ryder were missing from the side but it still doesn't paint a pretty picture. Pretty good stuff from Elliot though on his first trip with the A-side.

So, what can we make of this tour? Who has a chance to make it into the blackcaps?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Well the emerging players tournament is over an has turned up some interesting things. I've managed to get some statistics for the tournament, though they're incomplete as I couldn't find the scorecard for one of the games.

Anyway, the bowling form has been encouraging, especially for James McMillan and Hamish Bennett, while Nathan McCullum turned in some good performances as well.

Bowlers
    McCullum: 9 wickets at 26.44
    McMillan: 8 wickets at 20.88
    Bennett: 8 wickets at 20.88
    Scott: 7 wickets at 26.29
    Nicol: 6 wickets at 24.83
    Adams: 5 wickets at 34.2
    O'Brien: 3 wickets at 38.33

Disappointing from O'Brien, but I get the feeling he was always going to struggle in international cricket anyway. If McMillan can stay fit, I reckon he might be a bolter for the 20/20 World Cup, while Scott looks like a useful one day left armer and Bennett seems to have improved his accuracy quite a lot.

The batting however is very troubling. Of the entire side, only the much derided James Marshall managed to average over 30.

Batters
    Marshall: 223 runs at 31.86
    Broom: 172 runs at 24.57
    Elliot: 163 runs at 27.17
    McCullum: 123 runs at 20.6
    Redmond: 115 runs at 19.17
    How: 108 runs at 18
    Hopkins: 102 runs at 20.4
    Nicol: 64 runs at 12.8

Not very impressive. Admittedly, Cumming and Ryder were missing from the side but it still doesn't paint a pretty picture. Pretty good stuff from Elliot though on his first trip with the A-side.

So, what can we make of this tour? Who has a chance to make it into the blackcaps?
    You've doubled up on Bennett and McMillan's bowling figures there mate, (unless of course they are in fact exactly the same)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I don't think Cumming would have made a great deal of difference, he is an average List A player but had quite a good last season which probably put him in the mix. Ryder is also quite a poor List A bastman and I don't think he should be in consideration for the ODI team, especially given his weight problems which could well hinder him in the field. Those two should come close to the Test side though.

Not too sure where you got those stats from Bahnz, but these look a little more official, not quite complete though.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Elliott didn't get much of a chance to bowl, did he. Then, I guess it wasn't needed. On paper though, the Kiwi bowling was much stronger than the batting. I'm disappointed with Aaron Redmond and Rob Nicol with the bat. I still think Hiini should have been in the squad that went over there, along with Peter Ingram.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Elliott didn't get much of a chance to bowl, did he. Then, I guess it wasn't needed. On paper though, the Kiwi bowling was much stronger than the batting. I'm disappointed with Aaron Redmond and Rob Nicol with the bat. I still think Hiini should have been in the squad that went over there, along with Peter Ingram.
    TBF both Redmond and Nicol are much better First Class players than List A players, they were unlucky they didn't have the chance to impress in a few four day games over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    You've doubled up on Bennett and McMillan's bowling figures there mate, (unless of course they are in fact exactly the same)
    Nope I double checked, and they have the exact same figures for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I don't think Cumming would have made a great deal of difference, he is an average List A player but had quite a good last season which probably put him in the mix. Ryder is also quite a poor List A bastman and I don't think he should be in consideration for the ODI team, especially given his weight problems which could well hinder him in the field. Those two should come close to the Test side though.

Not too sure where you got those stats from Bahnz, but these look a little more official, not quite complete though.
    I got my figures using excel and the score sheets provided. The official records include the results from the 20/20 games, which I didn't include in my summary, as obviously one day and 20/20 cricket are completely different.

Cumming did have a pretty solid season in List A last year, and Ryder performed superbly for NZA in last years emerging players tournament. I just get the feeling they would have done a lot better than How and Redmond.

Banned
    Nope I double checked, and they have the exact same figures for the series.
    Really?....D'oh!

Quite a coincidence though

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Dig.

I know we're about to get floods of season reviews and discussion so lets keep it coherent in one thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Natman20 View Post
    Players I would like to see in the future....

Mark Gillespie - As said earlier hes gat a much better domestic record than Martin lately.
    Graeme Aldridge - Also has shown some bowling talent over the past few seasons
    Bruce Martin and Nathan Mcullum - Both have potential and could get places IMO
    Ross Taylor - Of course hes going to be in the squad more often after WC probably
    Jesse Ryder - Another one that is promising with the bat but would he succeed? Big ?

Thats it really at the moment but a player I would like to see play is Jonathan Trott even though I don't think he'll ever want to play for us or get residency here. I still can't believe they use 7 bowlers ahead of him in county cricket, it's puzzling although his figures were 1-22 off 2 overs in his last spell.

The blackcaps have some potentially good players to fill in spots in the future. Looking forward to the WC and hope to see something special from our players.

How does everyone think our squad would fit in West Indies conditions?

Decent calls.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Ah the good old days...
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Heh, yes they turned out to be a disappointing crop - O'Brien the surprising exception (and a bit of N.McCullum).

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread Information