• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Buchanan is a clown - if it meant getting rid of him to keep Wright it should have been done.

Wright really improved them as a Test side; Buchanan is probably out the back trying to teach Vettori how to bowl right arm meds.

Poor result for NZ cricket.
Seemed like a clear choice between them and they opted for Buchanan. I don't think they really could have fired him, Buchanan, just because Wright said he had to go. That would have been just bizarre.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good progress on the test match front was what mattered.
Did Wright really deliver that though? If you remove the two tests against Zimbabwe, the story goes

Game 1: Smashed by Pakistan
Game 2: Draw with Pakistan, but only because they already had a 1-0 lead and didn't want to risk things by chasing down an easily gettable target.

Game 3: Smashed by Australia
Game 4: Narrow win against Australia (against a weakened side in foreign conditions, though still undeniably awesome)

Game 5: Saved by rain against SA
Game 6: Smashed by SA
Game 7: Saved by rain and Kane against SA

Yes, it's not really his fault, as he's only been in charge for a year, but I'm really not sure that much progress has been made. The top order is as much of a mess as it has ever been (with the strange insistence on batting McCullum at 3, Ryder getting the boot and Williamson's shuffling up and down the order) and it's still too early to make any firm judgements about any of the new crop of bowlers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That win against Aussie was pure blood and guts from the batsman to put us into a position where we could win. He had to be a part of that.

With those draws against SA at least we didn't get smashed in 3 days - that bowling attack was to die for that SA had. I am taking a rain affected draw as a plus from the tour.

Also what are your views on wagner?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That win against Aussie was pure blood and guts from the batsman to put us into a position where we could win. He had to be a part of that.

With those draws against SA at least we didn't get smashed in 3 days - that bowling attack was to die for that SA had. I am taking a rain affected draw as a plus from the tour.

Also what are your views on wagner?
He's a useless ****.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Buchanan is a clown - if it meant getting rid of him to keep Wright it should have been done.

Wright really improved them as a Test side; Buchanan is probably out the back trying to teach Vettori how to bowl right arm meds.

Poor result for NZ cricket.
I would say getting rid of Buchanan would have been a very expensive exercise. Signed on until 2015 on some pretty big bucks. Doesn't make it right, just saying. Unfortunately for the new CEO, that's a Vaughan appointment.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
^&*#%$^#&%#&$&%^*%$!!!!

So what was worse? Years of stability (mostly being piss-poor) under the infuriating John Bracewell or a the more recent procession of coaches hired then fired by an organisation that is clearly a total mess?

I've never liked the 'blame Justin Vaughan for everything' approach we get in the media sometimes however this (giving Buchanan a 4 year contract) and the Bond disaster are two instances where he is clearly at fault. What a nitwit.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
^&*#%$^#&%#&$&%^*%$!!!!

So what was worse? Years of stability (mostly being piss-poor) under the infuriating John Bracewell or a the more recent procession of coaches hired then fired by an organisation that is clearly a total mess?

I've never liked the 'blame Justin Vaughan for everything' approach we get in the media sometimes however this (giving Buchanan a 4 year contract) and the Bond disaster are two instances where he is clearly at fault. What a nitwit.
Trust me, it isn't just a media thing to blame Justin Vaughan. His reign of terror set us back in plenty of areas.

Mike5181

International Captain
I almost forgot Shane Bond lost a year and a half of his career because of that whole ICL thing. He probably could've been rated a lot higher if he played half a dozen more tests and 10-15 more ODIs.

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Who'll be the next coach?

Heard a few names mentioned, pretty much all the current domestic coaches with the exception of Hunt and Johnson. Not likely to be Mike Hesson either.

Looking overseas is a good option I think. Rixon obviously has support. Tom Moody doesn't have an international gig.

My suggestion? Let's poach Darren Lehmann. Have a feeling he'd do a fantastic job.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I almost forgot Shane Bond lost a year and a half of his career because of that whole ICL thing. He probably could've been rated a lot higher if he played half a dozen more tests and 10-15 more ODIs.
Tbf, he probably would've spent most of that period on the sidelines due to injury. I think he might even have said that he was seriously considering retiring from tests before he got banned.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Deccan Chargers aren't exactly going well in the IPL though.

Bradburn would be up there you'd think.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I would say getting rid of Buchanan would have been a very expensive exercise. Signed on until 2015 on some pretty big bucks. Doesn't make it right, just saying. Unfortunately for the new CEO, that's a Vaughan appointment.
Yup, that'd be a pretty big issue. Very surprising to make such a long term appointment.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Wright really deliver that though? If you remove the two tests against Zimbabwe, the story goes

Game 1: Smashed by Pakistan
Game 2: Draw with Pakistan, but only because they already had a 1-0 lead and didn't want to risk things by chasing down an easily gettable target.

Game 3: Smashed by Australia
Game 4: Narrow win against Australia (against a weakened side in foreign conditions, though still undeniably awesome)

Yes, it's not really his fault, as he's only been in charge for a year, but I'm really not sure that much progress has been made. The top order is as much of a mess as it has ever been (with the strange insistence on batting McCullum at 3, Ryder getting the boot and Williamson's shuffling up and down the order) and it's still too early to make any firm judgements about any of the new crop of bowlers.
Agree, that Hobart victory kind of flatters Wright. still disappointing news overall in terms of continuity.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup, that'd be a pretty big issue. Very surprising to make such a long term appointment.
I was thinking this in the car the other day. It would almost be without precedent to appoint someone to this sort of length, in this sort of role I would have thought. Especially in their first term in an organisation.

I can imagine the way it played out - Buchanan wouldn't budge on less than four years and some fair coin, and Vaughan bowed to him.

And as for Fleming and the NZ coaching role, he'll never take it. Far too much demand time-wise with Future Tours programme - it's basically wall-to-wall touring and he has a young family. Plus he makes a nice wack, thank you very much, thru IPL, managing players, business interests etc.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also according to the stuff articles - Siddons has the inside running as being a person who can work with Buchannan

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited: