Cricket Player Manager
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 606

Thread: *** un-Official - New Zealand Black Caps Thread ***

  1. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Who was the last over 35 year-old to represent NZ in test cricket? John Wright in 1993?

    Do you see this as a problem for NZ cricket that no-one is looking to extend their careers, and thus offer a heap of experience for the young players?
    Mark Priest was nearly 37. Andrew Jones was 35 when he played his last test in 1995. Chris Harris was 35 when he played his last ODI.
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-06-2007 at 08:37 PM.

  2. #287
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,627
    Sinclair accepts the contract.

    Anyone feel he'd probably benefit playing a season overseas, probably English County?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  3. #288
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Sinclair accepts the contract.

    Anyone feel he'd probably benefit playing a season overseas, probably English County?
    A shocker that he had to get the contract this way, but I am glad he got it.

    Yeah, definitely, I cant see why he hasn't played English County cricket before.

    Oh and Days of Grace, another Kiwi in Japan?

  4. #289
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,631
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post

    Oh and Days of Grace, another Kiwi in Japan?

    Yeah, in Miyazaki, soon to move to either Gunma or Chiba.

    What are you doing in Japan?


  5. #290
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Yeah, in Miyazaki, soon to move to either Gunma or Chiba.

    What are you doing in Japan?
    Studying, 3rd year at Osaka University, School of Economics.

    Go Chiba, i say!!

    Teacher?

  6. #291
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,631
    Yes. ALT. Maybe looking to get into translating for a media company in the future.

  7. #292
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,631
    IMO NZ should get as many of its cricketers as possible playing in England during the winter months. Fleming came back a much improved batsmen after his stint over there.

  8. #293
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    IMO NZ should get as many of its cricketers as possible playing in England during the winter months. Fleming came back a much improved batsmen after his stint over there.
    ........and Marshall got bucket loads of runs over there, and decided that was enough, and stopped scoring for NZ.

  9. #294
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Yes. ALT. Maybe looking to get into translating for a media company in the future.

    ......as long as you dont work for Nova

  10. #295
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,511

    Where will Oram be ranked?

    Oram is a good test allrounder. With a batting average of 39.38 that is superb for an allrounder. His bowling average of 34.35 isn't bad either though its his economy rate that impresses me the most, 2.56
    Compare it to Flintoff and Kallis who have averages of:

    Flintoff

    Bat=32.50
    Bowl=32.02

    Kallis

    Bat=55.09
    Bowl=31.71

    Where does Oram rank in your opinion? I would rank it Kallis, Oram, Flintoff based on those records yet Flintoff is often talked about as better than Oram despite his poorer test record.

    Also what do you see in the future for Jeetan Patel? I think he will be better than Vettori. He's been asked to bowl at the death and during powerplays which would increase his bolwing average I imagine. I'd like to see them bowling in tandem especially in ODIs because most of the seamers are crap anyway.

    Patel

    ODI Bowling=31.53
    Test Bowling (1 test)=39.00

    Vettori

    ODI bowling=32.94
    Test bowling=34.26
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  11. #296
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Oram is a good test allrounder. With a batting average of 39.38 that is superb for an allrounder. His bowling average of 34.35 isn't bad either though its his economy rate that impresses me the most, 2.56
    Compare it to Flintoff and Kallis who have averages of:

    Flintoff

    Bat=32.50
    Bowl=32.02

    Kallis

    Bat=55.09
    Bowl=31.71

    Where does Oram rank in your opinion? I would rank it Kallis, Oram, Flintoff based on those records yet Flintoff is often talked about as better than Oram despite his poorer test record.

    Also what do you see in the future for Jeetan Patel? I think he will be better than Vettori. He's been asked to bowl at the death and during powerplays which would increase his bolwing average I imagine. I'd like to see them bowling in tandem especially in ODIs because most of the seamers are crap anyway.

    Patel

    ODI Bowling=31.53
    Test Bowling (1 test)=39.00

    Vettori

    ODI bowling=32.94
    Test bowling=34.26
    Umm, Oram better than Flintoff? I hate to break this to you, but to be a good test all rounder, you need to be able to take wickets. Oram hasn't ever really been a threatening test bowler. Sure he might still be able to get 2 or 3 wickets on New Zealand green tops, but lets look at the facts. His regular speed is 125-130 kilometres an hour, he doesn't swing it, doesn't get a lot of movement of the seam, and doesn't even have a slower ball. In test cricket he's basically a slightly more rapid version of Gavin Larsen. He is probably a better batsman against Flintoff (except against spin), but he's certainly not a better all rounder. Why, just within the New Zealand time I'd say that Daniel Vettori and James Franklin are closer to being genuine allrounders than Oram.

    As for Patel being better than Vettori, only time will tell, but I doubt it. He doesn't really have that much variation and I really haven't seen bowl at the death in two or three matches.

  12. #297
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,627
    As far as batting goes Kallis>Oram>Flintoff.
    As far as bowling goes Flintoff>Oram>Kallis.

    In tests, anyway.

  13. #298
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,627
    Anyway, our all time best test XI?

    1. B Sutcliffe
    2. G Turner
    3. A Jones
    4. M Crowe
    5. S Fleming*
    6. C Cairns
    7. B McCullum+
    8. R Hadlee
    9. D Vettori
    10. S Bond
    11. J Cowie

  14. #299
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dorkland, New Zealand
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Anyway, our all time best test XI?

    1. B Sutcliffe
    2. G Turner
    3. A Jones
    4. M Crowe
    5. S Fleming*
    6. C Cairns
    7. B McCullum+
    8. R Hadlee
    9. D Vettori
    10. S Bond
    11. J Cowie
    Uh, why are McCullum and Fleming in there?

  15. #300
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Uh, why are McCullum and Fleming in there?
    I'd have Fleming there, but the gloves would probably go to Ian Smith. McCullum has a very good record though.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Slag Off England Thread
    By Rik in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 28-10-2006, 06:07 PM
  2. The Official English Football Thread
    By Simon in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
  3. Official Squad Confirmation Thread
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
  4. Black Caps generic thread
    By anzac in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 12:55 PM
  5. 'Official' Online Thread
    By nibbs in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-01-2002, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •