• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC Tri-Series

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is there any other official ODI tri-series in the world with a round robin of only 3 matches? Whoever makes it to the final will probably be there on luck as much as anything else.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I think Bermuda are the underdogs here, plus, how much cricket have these other teams played? Is it their season at the moment?

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
albo97056 said:
I think Bermuda are the underdogs here, plus, how much cricket have these other teams played? Is it their season at the moment?
Yeah I'd have to go for a Zimbabwe v Canada final. Mainly because I've heard almost nothing of the Bermuda team before..at least Canada were at the last world Cup.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
It seems to me that these lesser sides just arnt getting the matches they need to progress, the icc has given them the minimum and nothing more. 2 or 3 matches isnt going to make a big difference really. Why not have a 7 match series like zim WI?

And I repeat is this being televised?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The first match is underway: Cricinfo has the scorecard, but refuses to advertise it.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...S/frames/CAN_ZIM_3-NAT_WI_ODI1_16MAY2006.html

Zimbabwe relied on the big hitting of Piet Rinke to get anywhere, with captain Duffin making a stellar 3 off 19 balls. Rinke plundered runs, ending with 72 off 62, but there was little support - Chibhabha disappointed, probably didn't want to run too much with his injury (37 off 80), and there were also double figures for Brendan Taylor (37), Elton Chigumbura (22) and Tatenda Mupariwa (21*). Greg Strydom and Ryan Higgins were both run out for ducks.

For Canada, spinners Kevin Sandher and Sunil Dhaniram shared four wickets for 66 runs in their 20 overs, while young new-ball bowler Umar Bhatti got slogged out of the attack by Rinke, ending with nought for 35 off five overs.

Looks fairly even so far - but given that Zimbabwe kept West Indies to 263 and 266, they should be able to defend this against a weaker batting line-up.

Edit: According to the time schedule posted on cricinfo, Canada have batted for an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Canada all out for 75 in under 29 overs.

Davison run out for 1.

Zim back on the map after this big win over the mighty 'Canadians'

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Canada all out for 75 in under 29 overs.

Davison run out for 1.

Zim back on the map after this big win over the mighty 'Canadians'
Shows how huge the gap between the amateurs and professionals really is. Ian Billcliff wasn't there either, which didn't help the batting much.

Chubb

International Regular
Good for Zimbabwe to reassert their dominance. Go on guys!

Rinke clearly has what it takes against sub-standard attacks, but can't score a run to save himself against test sides. I've never seen such a clear difference between a player's performance at one level and at a higher one than with him. He needs to work on his fitness, too.

Looks like a good performance in the field from the guys as well, with three run outs. Especially well done to Terry because as we all know he isn't the most naturally athletic player. Shame the Genius of Vusi Sibanda failed to perform in this match, but maybe he will do better in future. Zimbabwe need him to make good on his talent.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Shows how huge the gap between the amateurs and professionals really is. Ian Billcliff wasn't there either, which didn't help the batting much.
It does not look good for the small teams when they face the real big boys. However, I fully support these games and Im really looking forward to Ireland vs England.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The second match has started - Canada look to be going out head first after collapsing. Currently 66/5, Davison out for 22, Heaney for 19, while George O'Brien and Saleem Mukuddem have picked up two each.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Also, Mark Butcher has criticised the inclusion of the non-Test teams in the WC:

"Former England Test player Mark Butcher has said that the participation of ICC Associate nations such as Ireland in the Cricket World Cup could turn the global viewing public away from the tournament and that the Irish could get “absolutely hammered off the park” in the West Indies next year."

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000026/002609.shtml

What Butcher kindly neglects to mention is that the four non-Test nations played 24 games - two with each other - during the South Africa World Cup. The six non-Test nations in West Indies will play 18 - so there should be less minnow matches to turn the viewing public away, and if the minnows do manage to win the two games required to qualify for the second stage, they're probably good enough anyway.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
39 required for Bermuda with three wickets in hand and 24 overs to go. 39-year-old George Codrington, on ODI debut, made 45* for Canada, who ended on 157 for 9 (from 81 for 8). Bermudian wicket-keeper Minors on 31, out of 119 for 7.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth noting the gulf in class between John Davison and Steve Tikolo.

If only Kenya were in on this action to further point out Tikolo's flaws...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Worth noting the gulf in class between John Davison and Steve Tikolo.

If only Kenya were in on this action to further point out Tikolo's flaws...
Wait till August. Kenya are due to take Zimbabwe's role then.

Yikes, Zimbabwe just made 338...(admittedly without fatty's left-arm spin)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
How on earth did Duffin face 55 balls in 28 minutes?!
I think they got his and Chigumbura's minutes faced swapped around.

Really, though, the question should be how on earth Duffin scored 60 runs off those 55 balls?!!