• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan to play a third season for Tasmania.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
From Cricinfo:
Michael Bevan has ended months of uncertainty over his cricketing future by agreeing to play another season for Tasmania. David Johnston, the Tasmanian Cricket Association chief executive, said a verbal agreement had been reached and the paperwork was being completed.

However, Bevan's role as Tasmania's assistant coach has been reduced to three days a week. "[It will] give him more time to concentrate on his cricket and more time to spend with his family - two very important things both for Tasmanian cricket and Michael Bevan," Tim Coyle, Tasmania's coach, told ABC Sport. "I'd say [it is] just a slightly reduced role, that's all it is, but he'll still work with our batters."

Bevan appeared in 18 Tests and 232 ODIs for Australia and his time with the side finished when he was not offered a national contract at the end of the 2003-04 season. A long-term New South Wales player, he signed a two-year deal with Tasmania before the 2004-05 season and immediately made his mark with a domestic-record haul of 1464 Pura Cup runs.

© Cricinfo

brockley

International Captain
I have my doubts that these players playing on for some of them its time to move on,they will only die ungracefully,just look at jamie cox 3 **** seasons in a row.Doubt greg blewiit will get back in the redback 4 day team he is a has been,altho i guess we are talking about tasmania and any team that can pick a no hoper like daniel marsh in the side is a dreggs side.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its good to have a bit of a mix of ages in the team - Bevan can sit the young'uns down and tell them about life before powerplays, supersubs, and graphite coloured technicolour bats - teach them kids some respect.

So long as new talents are able to get a game as well, there's nothing wrong with him playing on so long as he's still good enough. Jokes aside, his experience must be good to have access to for the up-and-coming Taswegians...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
brockley said:
I have my doubts that these players playing on for some of them its time to move on,they will only die ungracefully,just look at jamie cox 3 **** seasons in a row.Doubt greg blewiit will get back in the redback 4 day team he is a has been,altho i guess we are talking about tasmania and any team that can pick a no hoper like daniel marsh in the side is a dreggs side.
I agree some players stay on too long. Cox played two seasons too many in hindsight, Blewett has struggled for a while and Elliott chasing dollars in SA has been a blessing in disguise for the Vics.

Bevan has been Bradman-esque since moving to Tasmania and delivered the state their first trophy in 30 years. Lehmann is still going great guns and Bichel is still one of the top performers in the competition. Providing they are playing well, which most of these players are, then their international experience is invaluable for youngsters coming through and raises the overall standard of the competition.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Though I've never been a big fan of Lehmann, I do like his style of captaincy especially giving the new, young bowlers a go in tough situations where you'd normally rely on a seasoned pro.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Lehmann is the best captain in Australia.
Lehmann is the best captain of the captains at national and state level. However, I do think Warne would be the best captain of all the players currently playing in Australia.