• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the Slip Cordons

adharcric

International Coach
Well I don't really know what the regular slip cordons are for today's test sides, but I'm sure some of you do. How would you rank them?

For example, India with Dravid at first, Laxman at second and Sehwag at third.
England with Trescothick at first, Flintoff at second and Strauss at third?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ranking the slip cordons as a whole is difficult I think. I'd probably say England's is the best. Flintoff and Trescothick are good slip fielders and don't drop much, and they've got a few who can field at third I believe. The best first slip fielder to pace bowling would probably be Fleming. To spin it would be Dravid or Hayden, a fair way ahead of the competition I think. Both of them rarely drop a thing at slip, and if they do it's always nearly impossible to catch.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think Australia's has gone down a bit (obviously without Taylor and M Waugh) but Hayden and Warne (despite the "dropped Ashes") are still amongst some of the best. Apart from Fleming NZ doesn't seem (to me) to have any regular slip fielders who are anything special. I'd have to say, South Africa's is probably the best...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warne isn't as good in the slips as he used to be. I think a large reason he fields at first ahead of Ponting and Hayden at the moment is that he'd be a liability anywhere else. He's still a decent slip fielder, but he used to be very good, and he's certainly not now.

Hayden never fields in the slips to pace bowling, for whatever reason, but he is a very good fielder in the gully and world class at slip to spin. His catching off Warne's bowling in the last two years or so has been flawless.

Blaze

Banned
NZ go ok. Astle generally has a safe pair of hands, but drops a crucial one every now and then. Styris is an underrated slipper IMO. Hardly drops anything. Vincent is pretty good when he is in the Test side and fielding at 3rd.

oz_fan

International Regular
Individual
Spin: Hayden - he rarely drops a thing. Has taken some amazing catches.
Pace: Fleming

Team
1. England
2. NZ
3. Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India, in between 2002-2004 had perhaps the finest slip cordon in the world, at least based on performance as they hardly dropped anything... But they have regressed to unimaginable lows now.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I agree probably England as a unit. Hayden is clear #1 for me, amazing slipper. Fred isn't far off, off the top of my head I can only remember one going down in recent times, which either says a lot about his skill or a lot about my memory.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I make no apologies whatsoever for reproducing this gem from WC2003....

Bangladesh v West Indies
Breadcrumb moment - the slip cordon (West Indies)

Once again, we turn to modern technology in order to bring you the cricket from just about as close as it gets. Today, we use the DevilDucky stump-mic (pat pending) to give you a feel of what it is like to be part of the camaraderie of a 'team within a team' - the West Indian slip cordon.

Second over
<Carl Hooper> Looks like rain, lads. I reckon Duckworth-Lewis might come into the equation a little later in the day. Now keep on your toes and for goodness sake don't drop anything. I'm looking at you, Crystal.
<<<snick>>>
<Chris Gayle> (for it is he) Oops, sorry skip. The sun was in my eyes a bit I think and the ball's a bit slippy.
<Carl> OK, Chris. Bad luck. These things happen. Now remember what I told you the other day - if you are fielding at second slip, watch the ball from the bowlers hand. Don't watch the edge of the bat - that's what great first-slippers (like me) do.
<Chris> Right, skip. Thanks for the advice. (shouts) Sorry, Vasbert.
<Vasbert Drakes> mutter, mutter, brown eyes'll be black and blue if you do it again mutter mutter.

Third over
<Carl> I've had second thoughts, Chris. You go to first slip and I'll stand at second. Now watch the edge of the bat - watch the edge of the bat all the time. Let your reactions do the rest - like the other day when Brian told you it was your round - and you'd just gone to the toilet.
<Chris> Righto - I've got it. Watch the edge of the bat, watch the edge of the bat, watch the edge of the bat, watch th....
<<<snick>>>
<Carl> ...e edge of the bat what am I doing, what am I doing?
<Mervyn Dillon> Bad luck, skipper.
<Chris> (chuckles) Yes, bad luck, skip.
<Carl> Don't just stand there saying 'watch the edge of the bat, you pudding.'
<Chris> (barely containing himself) sorry.
<Merv> If you drop another one off me you'll end up with a bigger gap in your front teeth than... (fades into the distance)

Sixth over
<Carl> Feel any rain in the air?
<Chris> I think I felt a few spots. Nothing to worry about though. Just a drop....
<<<snick>>>
<Carl> Oops.
<Chris> (crying with laughter) B-b-b-bad luck, skip. Would you be happier going back to first?
<Carl> I thought that you were going for that one
<Chris> It was yours
<Carl> I mean, I thought Ridley was going for it...
<Chris and Ridley Jacobs together> No, skip - it was yours.....
Carl plods forlornly after the ball.
<Vasbert> Bad luck skip (turns to walk back to his mark) **** ******* **** **** Hooper wouldn't have ******* happened if I'd been captain. Idiot'd be down at third man where he...
<Carl> What was that, Vas?
<Vasbert> Nothing, skipper.
<Carl> Let's swop again, Chris. I think you've learned your lesson now.
<Chris> (whispers) ****.
<Carl> What?
<Chris> OK, skip. No problem.
<<<snick>>>
<Chris> HOWZZZZAAAAAATTTTTT?

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hayden never fields in the slips to pace bowling, for whatever reason
I never stopped to think about it but that's right. Are there any theories out there about this - it's a bit odd isn't it?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Matt79 said:
I never stopped to think about it but that's right. Are there any theories out there about this - it's a bit odd isn't it?
I think he did while Warne was out. Has always been a gully fielder though, before that. Probably just more comfortable there off the quicks.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
Have you seen the price of manicures these days?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I agree probably England as a unit. Hayden is clear #1 for me, amazing slipper. Fred isn't far off, off the top of my head I can only remember one going down in recent times, which either says a lot about his skill or a lot about my memory.
He dropped a sitter on Sunday :sleep:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, England might slip down a touch (excuse the pun) after that performance against Sri Lanka.

simmy

International Regular
Harsh to knock England for just one game.

They have two amazing slippers in Tres and Flintoff... but Strauss, despite the Superman catch, is a bit suspect.

Jawardene is obv an excellent slip with Murali bowling. Recordbreakingly good infact.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gully is a funny position and one always needs someone willing to field there. Haydos looks to be the only player in the side who's ever done it for any length of time as Lang is good in-close, Marto is a good mover and fields cleanly off ground balls so is perfect for cover, Punter is a slipper these days as is Warnie and Clarke is a sensational point fielder. So Haydos is the logical choice, especially since he's taken some blinders.

Anyone else notice that gully fielders tend to be the bulkier players? Haydos, Steve Waugh and Geoff Marsh before him. Maybe it's the padding that's required because it's a very dangerous position; you have to cope with full-blooded cuts which are generally moving at waist (or gonad!) height and you're closer than other positions. I used to love it there because there is nothing so priceless as the look on a batsman's face who has just nailed a cut in your direction and you've come up with it. They always look so cheated. :D