• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the latest addition to your All-Time XI

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Hayden in there. Any reason you prefer him over Hutton, Gavaskar, Sutcliffe etc?
As you can see, (points down) already been through this one.

all that other stuff aside, when I pick an all-time XI I pick one that 'feels' right. I guess I feel Hayden balances and adds to the team moreso than the aforementioned openers.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
But if it were Kevin Pieterson it would be like having Pinot Noir, I'm sure.
No, because Hobbs is quite clearly a better player than Pietersen, and by a fair distance at the moment. Pietersen however, is a 10 fold better player than Hayden.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, because Hobbs is quite clearly a better player than Pietersen, and by a fair distance at the moment. Pietersen however, is a 10 fold better player than Hayden.
10 fold? Hayden averages 53 and has almost 8000 Test runs to his name, with 27 centuries...if Pieterson comes anywhere near that, England should count themselves lucky. Even Bradman wasn't '10-fold' better than a guy who averages 53 in Test cricket!

Frankly, I don't like watching either of them, but Hayden has been an absolutely excellent player for a long time. Pieterson is just getting started...the comparison is ludicrous.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wasn't stating acheivments and so on, more technique and generally as a player.
A player is defined by his achievements. Technique makes Hayden hideous to watch, but in the end, you as a player are judged by your achievements. Pieterson is not close to Hayden as a player ATM.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
A player is defined by his achievements. Technique makes Hayden hideous to watch, but in the end, you as a player are judged by your achievements. Pieterson is not close to Hayden as a player ATM.
It's Pietersen, as I'm sure you know.

Pietersen is technically a far superior player to Hayden, but Hayden is more proven. I have no doubt that Pietersen will end up being a far better player than Hayden in the end.

adharcric

International Coach
Hayden does not belong ahead of Hutton, Gavaskar and Sutcliffe ... and yeah, Hayden > Pietersen overall. Pietersen > Hayden eventually, I agree.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden does not belong ahead of Hutton, Gavaskar and Sutcliffe ... and yeah, Hayden > Pietersen overall. Pietersen > Hayden eventually, I agree.
Well, it is MY all-time XI so I do reserve the right for discerning who belongs where - no offense mate.

And Pietersen being better than Hayden? It's really a running joke now how underrated Hayden is on this site. I don't want to open up a can of worms, but Pietersen will be lucky to be as good as Hayden is.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
10 fold? Hayden averages 53 and has almost 8000 Test runs to his name, with 27 centuries...if Pieterson comes anywhere near that, England should count themselves lucky. Even Bradman wasn't '10-fold' better than a guy who averages 53 in Test cricket!

Frankly, I don't like watching either of them, but Hayden has been an absolutely excellent player for a long time. Pieterson is just getting started...the comparison is ludicrous.
Maybe I should have put in Nasser Hussain. :ph34r:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That tenfold statement was a bit silly. I don't mind Hayden myself, rate him ahead of Boycott( who someone stupidly put in a side.

Hobbs, Richards, Greenidge, Hutton, far ahead of them both imo.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Umm, becuase it means they're ten times better, which is fairly ridiculous on any level, for instance someone averaging five in Test cricket would have to have that five multiplied ten times, which would mean umm an average of a lot:unsure:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Umm, becuase it means they're ten times better, which is fairly ridiculous on any level, for instance someone averaging five in Test cricket would have to have that five multiplied ten times, which would mean umm an average of a lot:unsure:
It wasn't meant to mean a literal x10, more a figure to represent a lot.

adharcric

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
Well, it is MY all-time XI so I do reserve the right for discerning who belongs where - no offense mate.
No ****. Are you suggesting that we close every debate on CW simply because we are all entitled to our own opinions?
KaZoH0lic said:
And Pietersen being better than Hayden? It's really a running joke now how underrated Hayden is on this site. I don't want to open up a can of worms, but Pietersen will be lucky to be as good as Hayden is.
Considering you are the only one on this site who even considered Hayden in an all-time XI, it's fair to say that you might be overrating Hayden just a little. That's besides the point - Hayden is very good but Pietersen may just outperform him in the long run. Certainly doesn't seem very far-fetched considering KP has already fared well against the three greatest bowlers of the modern era.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No ****. Are you suggesting that we close every debate on CW simply because we are all entitled to our own opinions?
Calm down, didn't mean it in a bitchy way.

No, but I've already stated why I think Hayden holds his own place down. I see Boycott, Trumper, Headley and possibly others (haven't read every post) that are just as contentious as Hayden yet haven't gotten much outcry over. I know I am overrating him a bit. But I see the same in those aforementioned players.

Do I think he's better than the others? Yes, IMO, he is and maybe in years gone by will be appreciated.