• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Firepower!!

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Test legend Dennis Lillee has dismissed Nasser Hussain's claims that England have the firepower to trouble Australia during the Ashes series as "incredible".

Lillee believes Hussain's view that they can match Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie and Brett Lee was merely "bravado in the face of seemingly impossible odds".

Hussain's claims...made me gag on my cornflakes

Dennis Lillee
England have not won the Ashes in Australia since 1986-87 and were beaten 4-1 on home soil when the teams met last year.

Writing in the West Australian newspaper, Lillee said: "Hopes that Gough, after three knee operations, can lead the England attack for five Test matches on rock-hard Australian grounds seem pretty optimistic to me."

Can't blame the legend, to me Nasir's claim seems to be far from reality!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would beg to differ from Dennis Lillee on just one small point .... I would have described them (the supposed claims) not as 'incredible' but 'inedible', because the article itself is a bit of a joke.

The England skipper could hardly be seen to be saying "well, there's not really a lot of point in going because we are likely to be thumped", is there?

It's another one of those rubbish non-stories designed to fill half a page in the sports section and to allow Dennis Lillee to buy a few more cornflakes.

Dennis Lillee = Great bowler.
Dennis Lillee = tripe journalist?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Jaspal
Nasser and his boys can do with a bit of positiveness cant they ?

Eddie says it all

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well all I can say is that ok fair enough Brett Lee is fast but over here he was wild and was easy to score off, its not very impressive to be slogged back over your head for 6 by Latif who's supposed to be a lower order batsman who can't bat in one dayers...and your one of the fastest bowlers in the world, the only 2 bowlers to impress in the tests were McGrath and Warne, Lee was a bit failure (and strangely although he scores runs against most teams he barely scored a run against England) and Gillespie was impressive in the ODIs but poor in the tests. Australia's attack is impressive but not the best ever like they claim. Lee started with 42 wickets at 17, he now has 85 in 22 matches at 27, thats an increase of 10 runs per wicket, not so impressive.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Lillee's an Aussie, so what do you expect? I think the only aussies who will give England credit are Gilchrist, Warne and Rod Marsh whos running England's academy.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Nasser's claim may have made you gag on your cornflakes (please try not to do that again it can be quite messy), but Lillee's reply didn't even cause me to raise an eyebrow, why? Because I didn't expect anything less from a grumpy "Former Great" fast bowler who can't get over the fact that he's too old to take part!:lol:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Those were silly comments from Lillee. Quite 'low class' much that I despise the expression.

Neil, the name Nasser can be spelt Nasir or Nasser. There are several examples of names that can be spelt two different ways- can't think of any right now..

Rik, Lillee could probably still play first class cricket! I remember he bowled in some exhibition match sometime in the mid nineties and took some four or five wickets.

A general question: do the Aussies feel they must show their patriotism by browbeating all visiting sides months before they arrive? Dig up material on all previous tours and you'll see former players, the media and every Tom Dick and Harry commenting on weaknesses of the visiting side, giving a few backhanded compliments etc.

I am sure that now there are a few more people that will want England's bowling attack to suddenly mature in the Ashes series. I am thinking that an injury to Hussain will be good for England. Sorry about that! Eng have to have a positive captain- somehow who knows to attack. Remember, the Aussies don't know how to play defensively.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by full_length
Neil, the name Nasser can be spelt Nasir or Nasser. There are several examples of names that can be spelt two different ways- can't think of any right now..
I can... Neal/Neil/Niall (and often Niel..). And I don't enjoy having it misspelt.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
:lol:

The point was, that "Nasir" is not misspelling the name, as far as I know.

An obvious example Muhammed, Mohammed, Muhammad..
Since the name is NOT 'English' anyway, whether you want to consider the one or the other correct, is entirely up to you. There people tend to take the 'usual' spelling for uniformity. In Nasser's case, there are two usual spellings - 'Nasir' and 'Nasser'.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The correct spelling of a name is how the person who the name belongs to, spells it... not how others think it should be spelled. Doesn't matter what the usual spelling is.... no one can dictate to a person how his/her name should be spelled.The England captain spells it "Nasser" and so Nasser it is....not Nasir....doesn't matter if others with similar names spell it that way.The England captain doesn't.

I have very strong feelings about it, because my last name tends to get misspelled just like this one, as people from India think that the usual spelling is different from what I use.I tend to give the stick to anybody that even remotely tries to tell me that my name should be spelled this way or that.

[Edited on 6/10/2002 by aussie_beater]

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
[

I can... Neal/Neil/Niall (and often Niel..). And I don't enjoy having it misspelt.
Well Nasir isn't ur name, and if the spelling is giving u a headace then too bad!

OZOZ

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by Rik
Well all I can say is that ok fair enough Brett Lee is fast but over here he was wild and was easy to score off, its not very impressive to be slogged back over your head for 6 by Latif who's supposed to be a lower order batsman who can't bat in one dayers...and your one of the fastest bowlers in the world, the only 2 bowlers to impress in the tests were McGrath and Warne, Lee was a bit failure (and strangely although he scores runs against most teams he barely scored a run against England) and Gillespie was impressive in the ODIs but poor in the tests. Australia's attack is impressive but not the best ever like they claim. Lee started with 42 wickets at 17, he now has 85 in 22 matches at 27, thats an increase of 10 runs per wicket, not so impressive.
For Christ sake, Lee was going through a bad patch at that time.McGrath got blasted by the Kiwis in the test series at home, it doesn't mean that McGrath is a bad bowler.

McGrath,Warne and Jason are all world class bowlers, Warne infact is the best spinner ever!! Lee has lot to learn but is vastly talented and i think he will become World's top bowler in a yr or two!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
goddam! I lost my post

Anil, I think I know what you're saying: my first name is often misspelled.
If this is getting to be fighting for Nasser's right to have his name spelled the way he writes it, then I back off! hmm I back off at any rate, after this one :)
All I'm saying is that it is not 'wrong' to spell the name Nasser as Nasir. We dont agree on the spelling of Lakshar -e-Tayiba or the earlier example I gave you or many other such names that originate in another language. It's not a big deal.

My first name is spelled differently by different people with that name, and all are correct (the spelling is unambigous in Sanskrit, Tamil and Hindi- the word exists in these languages). I know how irritating it can be to have your name spelled wrong on records because someone cannot read from a piece of paper and copy!! Atleast here in the US they can't make head or tail of my name, and end up copying each letter correctly and get it right. In India they invariably get it wrong 'cos they think they know the spelling!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Nopes Shane Warne is not the greatest spinner of all times. He's not even the greatest spinner of our times. Murali is.
Greatest leggie of our times? Yes.
Greatest leggie of all times? Can't say. Have you seen Subash Gupte? Or is there some way to tell that he's better?

Aussie attack doesnt have a great fourth bowler. That itself rules them out from contention where all time great attacks are concerned.
If Wasim were to take Sami's place, I'd pick them over OZOZ attack any day.
As things stand, Australia has the best attack today.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Jaspal are you sure you want to post anymore :D
I for one know what your posts are going to contain:
-flame England flame England flame England
-"read this" - and sometimes even without that..
- huh?

I'm dying to hear your views on cricket sans England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Wasim were to take Sami's place, I'd pick them over OZOZ attack any day.
As things stand, Australia has the best attack today.
IMO Wasim is past it now - Shoaib and Lee are about as good as each other, Gillespie is better than Sami/any other 3rd bowler and McGrath better than Younis. Spinner wise there is no contest!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I would rate Shoaib higher than Lee, the stats are there, he cleaned up NZ with 6-11 and now cleaned up the Aussies, when he's fit he's impossible to bat against! Lee will allways be fast but I doubt he will become the world's best bowler.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
And Marc, Pakistan have Razzaq also. Aussies have four bowlers, and one of them is Lee.
Akram is as good as McGrath any day. Younis and Gillespie would compare more or less evenly. Warne is definitely better than Saqlain. Then Pak have Shoiab who is leagues above Lee. Then there's always Razzaq.