• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Firepower!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The England captain spells it "Nasser" and so Nasser it is....not Nasir....doesn't matter if others with similar names spell it that way.The England captain doesn't.
A_B summed up what I was saying perfectly. Let's end this one here.
[/quote]
Back to bowlers then...
Nopes Shane Warne is not the greatest spinner of all times. He's not even the greatest spinner of our times. Murali is.
Greatest leggie of our times? Yes.
Greatest leggie of all times? Can't say. Have you seen Subash Gupte? Or is there some way to tell that he's better?
Agreed. There's also Abdul Qadir, Richie Benaud, then for offies there's Jim Laker. He's breathed new life in to leg spin but that's all IMO.

Akram is as good as McGrath any day. Younis and Gillespie would compare more or less evenly. Warne is definitely better than Saqlain. Then Pak have Shoiab who is leagues above Lee. Then there's always Razzaq.
Akram was as good as McGrath. Look at Wasim's recent test wickets record. Waqar v Gillespie - yeah, I guess they're about even. Shoaib v Lee, there's really no contest, Warne v Saqlain - another non-entity of a discussion, and then Razzaq v Mark Waugh :rolleyes:. 2-2 that comes out as but the Aussies rarely use a 5th bowler so that gives them the edge IMO. Take Wasim from ~1996, however, it's a different story, but now Glenn's got his measure.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I dont have complaints with that assessment. Not much either way I guess. I'd said earlier that I'd pick the Pak bowling lineup to the Aussie one. I guess another person would do otherwise.

Must reiterate here: Pak have a very good fifth bowler. I think that's quite significant. In one scenario atleast there's no contest: if both teams were bowling to India :D I know which one I'd NOT want then.

devdas

Cricket Spectator
[quote.[/quote]
Akram was as good as McGrath. Look at Wasim's recent test wickets record. Waqar v Gillespie - yeah, I guess they're about even. Shoaib v Lee, there's really no contest, Warne v Saqlain - another non-entity of a discussion, and then Razzaq v Mark Waugh :rolleyes:. 2-2 that comes out as but the Aussies rarely use a 5th bowler so that gives them the edge IMO. Take Wasim from ~1996, however, it's a different story, but now Glenn's got his measure. [/quote]

I would say that if Akhter consistently bowl as well as he has been bowling in the present test match, then Pak attack would become the best.Aus basically are the best bowling side coz of McGrath, Lee is a overrated bowler and is no where near Akhter or even Hoggard.Warne is good but he's no Murali, and as for M Waugh, the least said about his bowling the better!

[Edited on 7/10/2002 by devdas]

OZOZ

Cricket Spectator
Back to the original topic, English bowling attack is not very impressive.The Indian batters pasted ur bowlers recently, Ozoz batters will enjoy facing them really:lol:

Gough is the only class bowler, and he will be comming after a long layoff.I haven't seen Jones and Harmison, so can't comment but from what i have heard they are pretty raw!

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, every year that we give them a flogging we come one year closer to the year that *shudders* we might lose/draw the ashes *shudders*. I think that's still a few years off yet though! England have Vaughan, whose test average has skyrocketed because of one good year. Lets see how he does against the biggest test in the world - Australia on their home turf.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh how typical an Indian supporter saying that England's bowling was smashed around by the Indian batsmen all series...well maybe you should look at your team's bowling figures...then you will realise which team has problems in the bowling department...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Oh how typical an Indian supporter saying that England's bowling was smashed around by the Indian batsmen all series...well maybe you should look at your team's bowling figures...then you will realise which team has problems in the bowling department...
The person who made the comment doesn't seem to be an Indian supporter - Ozoz sounds Australian to me. India has an exceptional batting lineup which is coming into its own and quite dominated the English bowling towards the latter half of the series. The Australian batting is very well established and if anything, even more exceptional. If they can't control the Indians on their own home turf, they won't be able to control an Aussie lineup in their backyard, seems to be a reasonable assumption to me.

The Indian team has tons of problems in the bowling dept, much more than England, but that's not what is under discussion now, is it?

Hoggard

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by OZOZ

Back to the original topic, English bowling attack is not very impressive.The Indian batters pasted ur bowlers recently, Ozoz batters will enjoy facing them really:lol:

Gough is the only class bowler, and he will be comming after a long layoff.I haven't seen Jones and Harmison, so can't comment but from what i have heard they are pretty raw!
Courtesy of Shoaib Akhtar, we now know that Australia are vulnerable. All England need in this winter's Ashes series is a tearaway 95mph fast bowler
capable of causing utter destruction. Solve that one, and the rest will be straightforward.And i would say that if Akhter can do the Job, then Jones and Harmison can do it even better.
Feel the heat Cons
:lol::lol::lol:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Rik
How typical of who? Is your post typical of you? Then we have:
1) a very confused individual
2)who is prone to jumping to conclusions
and 3) falling down hard on his ass

:O that's a tough package to cope with!