• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warwickshire's Overseas Players

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Warwickshire look set to sign Anil Kumble and Shane Bond for the 2003 season.

Any thoughts on that - personally I think they look good moves.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have preferred a different bowler to Kumble as he wasn't very impressive in his last stint with Leicstershire and wasn't particually destructive against England this series, also he seems to have to work very hard for his wickets even when he is bowling well, anyway I would have gone for Afridi, fast spin and even faster bat!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm guessing the players were dictated by price - Afridi would've been a lot more expensive.

Also in the past when Kumble has a whole season in England, he's been impressive.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that was before the shoulder Op though, hes been much less impressive since, especially in ODIs, but he should score more runs than he has previously, he averages over 20 with the bat in FC Cricket but didnt get a Half Century when he got 100 wickets for Northants and only scored one and averaged 12 with the bat for Leicstershire, he also took 50 wickets at 25, but still wasn't as effective as Leicstershire wanted...but thats a bit of a rich one when you've got Jimmy Ormond as your main strike bowler who rarely averages less than that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bond's a good signing, I'm unconvinced about Kumble however. Still, rather him than Nixon McLean... :(!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Its difficult to say what Warwickshire need, they are strong in batting, bat all the way down thanks to having quite a few all-rounders, have an excellent wicket keeper who gets away with not scoring many runs, their pace bowling did need a bit of strengthening and thanks to England not allowing many of their squad more than a few games for their counties they are without Giles in the spin bowling department and Neil Smith is not that effective. They have worked out what they need to strengthen and signed players to strengthen those areas, Im just not sure they picked the right players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That'll mean the Warwickshire 1stt XI will be something like:

Knight
Powell
Wagh
Bell
Ostler
Troughton
Brown
Piper
Kumble
Carter
Bond

with Smith, Richardson and Wagg in support - not a bad team IMO

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Betts in the place of Carter if he gets his act together but yes that sounds just about right.:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Betts in the place of Carter if he gets his act together but yes that sounds just about right.:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not likely to happen - Carter offers the variety of left arm bowling, plus his batting (brutal but effective?!)

masterblaster

International Captain
I reckon its pretty good, a real quick bowler and a quick leg spinner. Kumble's batting in FC is quite good and his bowling speaks for itself.

Although Leicestershire are looking to sign Virender Sehwag, man o man what a prized signing that would be.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Carter also serves up a wide range of short wide deliveries which are then crashed to the boundary!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond didn't have much success earlier in the year for Warwicks, but I think now that he will get a decent crack he'll be of better value to them. I think its also a good chance for Bond to develop his batting because I think he's actually got a bit of talent with the bat & could possibly be useful around 7 or 8 for NZ.

I dunno about Kumble, we'll see how he goes but personally i'd like to see Dan Vettori have a stint at county cricket.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes definatly Dan Vettori is someone I would like to see in County Cricket, he is the highest rated SLA bowler in world cricket and it would be interisting to see how he bowls when he isn't the main stock bowler and can go on the attack! :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Dan Vettori I feel should have been signed rather than Kumble. Vettori for Giles would be a like for like replacement, a SLA bowler who can bat to a reasonable degree although Gile's batting has lost a little of its edge but still gets a few runs but no centuries any more. Vettori could probably score a century as he has the talent but plays so little cricket other than Test cricket, he never really has had the chance to show it.