• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Country has contributed to International Cricket more ?

Which country England or Australia has contributed more to Cricket?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a poll on people's opinions as to which country has country has contributed more to International Cricket . The choices are England and Australia only .

I know Australia has been the stronger cricketing nation over the history of the Ashes and all that, but England has contributed , IMO, the greatest to International Cricket in development of the game globally , in helping the game develop in smaller countries and nations(and colonies) as well as in developing laws of Cricket , and developing new innovations in Cricket etc.

Now some would say Australia and Kerry Packer made the greatest impact to cricket . But IMO, that impact was mainly to do with ODI cricket and the marketing of Cricket .

England IMO through Centuries has made far more and greater contribution to the development of Cricket than Australia.

Some would and could argue that India with the massive sponsorship that it does of World Cup and other global events is contributing far greater in the last few decades than any of these two .

But to make this poll easier , I have restricted to the original 2 Test playing nations only.

Now I also know if you are an Aussie or an Englishman , you would naturally vote in favour of your country . So to take that element away, I want members who are from these countries (or who identify themselves as belonging to either) to vote honestly declaring their identity. So there's a separate vote option - ie Aussie voting for Australia or Aussie voting for England or English voting for England and English voting for Australia.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England for me.

We haven't been always necessarily a benign influence on the game, but its a sport we codified, popularised & had the de facto governing body (MCC) for donkey's years.

archie mac

International Coach
benchmark00 said:
France.

Origins of cricket can be traced back to France, so really, they invented it.
The name maybe, but that is about as much credit as they deserve :@

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Only 1 logical answer to the poll.

Apart from the obvious, the fact that England also contributed to all Australias success by being so bad for so long shows that they have contributed in many ways.

pasag

RTDAS
I voted for Australia but thinking about it it is more biased than anything else.

England did invent it, granted, but once you look past that, you cant go further than WI, Australia India and Pakistan over the past 70 years. I dont think England contributed all that much to it relative to the other teams, besides introducing it, (no matter how significant that is).

pasag

RTDAS
benchmark00 said:
France.

Origins of cricket can be traced back to France, so really, they invented it.
Is that where we got the French Cricket game that I used to play at school? Did anyone else ever play that in their childhood? Or is it just me?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
pasag said:
Is that where we got the French Cricket game that I used to play at school? Did anyone else ever play that in their childhood? Or is it just me?
No, it couldn't have been just you.

It requires a minimum of two people

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia's only got one real leg to stand on - WSC.

England, whether you agreed with how the game was run or not, were virtually in charge of it for 100 years or something like that, so they've contributed more than Australia ever could.

archie mac

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
Administrative capacity? Or Cricket - playing the sport?
They started international tours, to spead the word. At one time they had two teams touring at once, with both playing in Test series.

They toured Aust for 17 years before the Aussies made their first tour. If you do not count the Aboriginal side that toured in 1868.

archie mac

International Coach
Craig said:
Well Ian Chappell thinks so.
Yes, but tbh I hardly think they were a true reflection of Australian cricket strenth of the time. Although they had one very good player I will have a go at his name: Mulligah

In his book on Austalian Captains Roland Perry goes through the tour as an introduction very interesting. There is also Black Lords of Summer by Ashley Mallett, I have not had a chance to read it yet though :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems pretty Universal in terms of opinions as to which country has made the greatest contribution to International Cricket .

9/2 international members , 11/2 among English members that England has made the greatest contribution.

Not surprisingly Aussie members ranking England's contribution to Cricket World wide lower, with only 6/4 considering it greater to that of Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pasag said:
I have played it a lot back in my schooldays.