• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England a one-man team totally dependent on Freddie.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This is interesting of late Hayden have accused England of being a one-man team since they seem to be totally dependent on Flintoff and the other day KP accused Australia of being a one-man team totally dependent on Warne, since he said if it weren't for Warne England would have won the ashes 4-1 which is true.

But i think we could look at it seriously, if England do lose Flintoff a HUGE whole is left in the side & the balance in which becomes messed up, since he is England best bowler by a good margin & his batting is very important coming in at 6/7.

Without Warne Australia lose an all-time great bowler, although MacGill another good spinner can come to back him up as he did with mixed results in 2003, Warne was missed & the bowlng does lose its edge for sure, but since the overall strenght of the aussie team is is better than most teams on the international circuit & even though since Ponting has become skipper he tends to overbowl Warne at times making it seem as if Australia are overly dependent on him, i think Australia at present can cope better without Warne than England can without Flintoff.

adharcric

International Coach
Hayden had a bit of a point. KP just jumped on the fact that Warne was the standout performer for the Aussies in the Ashes ... and got some banter in. No harm done.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea thats true but as i just said, if we are to look at the respective comments they made seriously there is more truth to what Hayden said about England than what KP said about Australia.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's all a bit soon for the pre-Ashes war of words, isn't it?

Shouldn't Hayden wait until November before shouting his mouth off like a moron and getting England's backs up again?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
yea thats true but as i just said, if we are to look at the respective comments they made seriously there is more truth to what Hayden said about England than what KP said about Australia.
In spite of the fact that Pietersen said only 1 thing that looks very true?

Oh I forget, when you choose you're an "Australian" so will always side with them.

Mind you, you probably still think that when Ricky said "we'll have a bowl mate" it as the right decision.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:

Oh I forget, when you choose you're an "Australian" so will always side with them.

Mind you, you probably still think that when Ricky said "we'll have a bowl mate" it as the right decision.
Jeeez... Someone isn't getting any...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
It's all a bit soon for the pre-Ashes war of words, isn't it?

Shouldn't Hayden wait until November before shouting his mouth off like a moron and getting England's backs up again?
It was in an interview, it wasn't like he called a press conference just to say this. He was just speaking his mind.

And do we really need two separate threads on what is essentially the same topic?

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
maybe i was unclear, that's exactly the point i wanted to get accross too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

what?, he said Australia are a one-man team and if it weren't from him England would have won the ashes 4-1. England probably would have but Australia have shown very clearly by their performances over the past decade that they aren't a one-man team.
marc71178 said:
typical ******** from you, maybe its possible what Hayden said is true?, no thats crap it has to be i am siding with them because i like them without considering anything other possibility, yes i must commend you on your brainless reasoning.8-)

marc71178 said:
I'd dont think it was that horrible, what i do believe though is that his decision was over-exagerrated because England made 400 in a day. Really even though McGrath got injured on the morning of the test, his side had just restricted England to 2 sub-200 totals in the 1st test & he was in his right to believe that his bowlers would have won some psychological points over the England batsmen & with the 1st morning at edgbaston pretty overcast (although the pitch didn't look to have to much demons in it) that he could peg England back in the morning.

If you want to talk about a horirble decision remember Hussain at the Gabba in 2002..

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:

Poor comment for mine.

Complicated

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Haven't the English cricket authorities all but agreed with this comment though. Flintoff is the sides most consistent strike bowler, the current captain, and one of their most important batsman. By declaring they may rest him from the Champions Trophy, and constantly underlining how important his man management is, they acknowleding he is central to the team success. There's no shame in it though because both Ponting and Smith picked him as they player they'd most want in their squad.

Seem this comment is abit blown out of proportion for mine.

Raymond

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Actually, let's put it this way

What if u take out Freddie out of England Team

Every team has a motivator, a hero, the charm..etc etc, Freddie is that for England

So his movements, his presence and performance would normally be highlighted more than usual.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's put it this way, I think we'd miss Fred more than any other team would miss any other player but, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we're totally dependent on him.

I don't think Hayden has said anything outrageous, he's simply phrased a fairly reasonable assertion in such a way that yer meedyah can sieze upon & start making mountains from molehills. I don't think Matty's best mate would ever accuse him of being a great intellect.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
It was in an interview, it wasn't like he called a press conference just to say this. He was just speaking his mind.

And do we really need two separate threads on what is essentially the same topic?
It gave me the opportunity to dig the knife into Hayden twice, so it's all good.