Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Why India won the world cup bid?

  1. #1
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894

    Why India won the world cup bid?

    Bindra said he was questioned by the ICC members at the executive board meeting in Dubai earlier this week "for half an hour" when he told them the 2011 World Cup, if held in the subcontinent, would generate USD 400 million more. "I told them that the ICC makes USD two million from a match day whereas we make USD 8.77 million, which is more than four times. The ICC sold the television rights [of 2003 WC] to India for USD 250 million and for seven-eight million USD to Australia."

  2. #2
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Well i'll be damned! How surprising
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  3. #3
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Well, I am not suprised that the decision was about money...it was more a suprise at the amount of difference in money.

  4. #4
    State Vice-Captain Armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Literate Essex- yes, it does exist!
    Posts
    1,092
    There seems to be a flaw in your question. India didn't win the world cup, the subcontinent did...now open your mind to the world outside.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

    RIP Fardin


  5. #5
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo
    There seems to be a flaw in your question. India didn't win the world cup, the subcontinent did...now open your mind to the world outside.

    If you think India weren't the dominant player in this bid and weren't the reason that the subcontinent won the rights, then you are kidding yourself. 42% of the games will be played in India, and a larger percentage of funds will come from India.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Doesn't matter if India were the dominant player, it still is a fact that it was the subcontinent that won the WC hosting rights. India are getting 42 % only because they have a bigger fanbase to cover as simple as that.

    As far as I am concerned, India and Pak (and SL to some extent) are equal contenders for hosting the World Cup finals.

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Doesn't matter if India were the dominant player, it still is a fact that it was the subcontinent that won the WC hosting rights. India are getting 42 % only because they have a bigger fanbase to cover as simple as that.

    As far as I am concerned, India and Pak (and SL to some extent) are equal contenders for hosting the World Cup finals.

    *SIGH*, did I say they were not? When did the finals even come into play? I am simply stating that India are the biggest draw and were clearly the driving force in getting the WC. Thats a fact. I'm not putting down Pakistan, SL or Bangladesh. I don't care if the final is in Dhaka, Colombo, Karachi or Mumbai and I'm sure all four countries could do a great job of providing facilities and grounds to make it a success. Really, thats outside the scope of the thread.

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    *SIGH*, did I say they were not? When did the finals even come into play? I am simply stating that India are the biggest draw and were clearly the driving force in getting the WC. Thats a fact. I'm not putting down Pakistan, SL or Bangladesh. I don't care if the final is in Dhaka, Colombo, Karachi or Mumbai and I'm sure all four countries could do a great job of providing facilities and grounds to make it a success. Really, thats outside the scope of the thread.
    Spot on. BCCSL and BCB yield next to no power in cricketing terms, and PCB don't do a lot other than whinge to the ICC.

    EDIT: Not going to happen because of the above, but a final in Dhaka would be absolutely electric.

    EDIT II: BCB are likely to secure the use of the Bangabhandu for the World Cup (Source: CricBD)
    Last edited by Jungle Jumbo; 05-05-2006 at 01:49 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 201
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
  2. World's Best Young Talent
    By Fred Jr in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 16-02-2007, 10:48 AM
  3. England vs India
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 22-10-2006, 12:16 AM
  4. Australia’s preparation for the 2007 World Cup
    By Western Warrior in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-01-2006, 12:31 AM
  5. World Cup XI's
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 17-02-2004, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •