• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Immigrant XI

Craig

World Traveller
Of course one should not forget Chris Lewis and Peter Such who were not born in England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A trivia question for anyone who's remotely interested.

Name the 8 players born in Southern Africa that have batted in England's top 6 since 1970.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
A trivia question for anyone who's remotely interested.

Name the 8 players born in Southern Africa that have batted in England's top 6 since 1970.
Hick, Pietersen, D'Oliveira, AIW Greig, Pringle (Kenya is sub-Saharan Africa, anyway...), Strauss, Lamb.

Dunno about the eighth, though...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Hick, Pietersen, D'Oliveira, AIW Greig, Pringle (Kenya is sub-Saharan Africa, anyway...), Strauss, Lamb.

Dunno about the eighth, though...
Wasn't thinking about Pringle. Admittedly I didn't specify SA & Zim, but that's what I had in mind.
Two to go.

EDIT
Like Voltman said for number 7. One to go.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Didnt Chris Smith (Robins older brother) get 1 test in the late '80s?
Pretty decent player if I recall

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Didnt Chris Smith (Robins older brother) get 1 test in the late '80s?
Pretty decent player if I recall
That's the one I had in mind. He played a few tests in 1983 and 1983/4 without doing very much. Then he had a one-off test in 1986 - maybe the one you're thinking of? Very different player to his younger brother.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So tell clarify, England's woes thru much of the 90s can be slated home to South Africa being readmitted to international cricket and zimbabwe getting test status - suddenly England's best talent pools were snatched away! :)

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wpdavid said:
That's the one I had in mind. He played a few tests in 1983 and 1983/4 without doing very much. Then he had a one-off test in 1986 - maybe the one you're thinking of? Very different player to his younger brother.
I think Phil Edmonds was born in Zambia : does that count ?
Tony Greig's younger brother Ian also played 2 tests without having much of an impact

EDIT : Didn't read the question carefully, they obviously didn't bat in the top 6, at least regularly, Edmonds batted 3 times in the top 6

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
atichon said:
I think Phil Edmonds was born in Zambia : does that count ?
Tony Greig's younger brother Ian also played 2 tests without having much of an impact

EDIT : Didn't read the question carefully, they obviously didn't bat in the top 6, at least regularly, Edmonds batted 3 times in the top 6

True, but tbh I'd completely forgotten about Greig Jnr. I was fishing for players that were basically natives of SA or Zim, whereas Edmonds is English to all intents & purposes. Still, Ian Greig now gives us 9 players from SA or Zim. It wouldn't be hard to put together a squad from SA, Zim, Aus & NZ - G. Jones, Caddick, McCague, and, I think, Mullally & White all spring immediately to mind.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wpdavid said:
True, but tbh I'd completely forgotten about Greig Jnr. I was fishing for players that were basically natives of SA or Zim, whereas Edmonds is English to all intents & purposes. Still, Ian Greig now gives us 9 players from SA or Zim. It wouldn't be hard to put together a squad from SA, Zim, Aus & NZ - G. Jones, Caddick, McCague, and, I think, Mullally & White all spring immediately to mind.
But I just checked : Ian Greig batted at 8 so he doesn't count. Otherwise Neal Radford is another SA bowler who played for England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
atichon said:
But I just checked : Ian Greig batted at 8 so he doesn't count. Otherwise Neal Radford is another SA bowler who played for England
Good call re. Radford another player from the 80's that I'd forgotten, but there were a heck of a lot of them.

That's 10 from SA or ZIm. Can we make a full XI from somewhere?

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wpdavid said:
Good call re. Radford another player from the 80's that I'd forgotten, but there were a heck of a lot of them.

That's 10 from SA or ZIm. Can we make a full XI from somewhere?
You didn't say they had to play tests I think so Matt Prior will do. He would keep wicket

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
atichon said:
You didn't say they had to play tests I think so Matt Prior will do. He would keep wicket
nope had to have played tests as i have said Matty Prior

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wpdavid said:
But Edmonds was born in Zambia and the original question was about the place of birth, not the nationality. And Zambia was part of Rhodesia at the time, if I remember well. So he should be counted.

Has there ever been a test cricketer (or even a FC cricketer) born in France ?

Chubb

International Regular
atichon said:
But Edmonds was born in Zambia and the original question was about the place of birth, not the nationality. And Zambia was part of Rhodesia at the time, if I remember well. So he should be counted.

Has there ever been a test cricketer (or even a FC cricketer) born in France ?
Northern Rhodesia became Zambia in 1964. Edmonds was therefore technically a Northern Rhodesian, like such luminaries as the "novelist" Wilbur Smith. Northern Rhodesia was obviously a part of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (Malawi).

Don't think there were any France-born test cricketers- obviously Benaud's family was originally French. A white West Indian claims to be the second French test cricketer, his name was Paradieu I think.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm fairly certain there haven't been any French-born test players, but there have been two German-born English test players (Donald Carr & Paul Terry), one Italian (Lord Ted) & **** Wescott of SA was born in Portugal.

& to make up the XI for Southern African-born Englishmen, Paul Parker (debut 1981) was born in Rhodesia (as was).

EDIT: "****" = popular diminutive of "Richard". :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm fairly certain there haven't been any French-born test players, but there have been two German-born English test players (Donald Carr & Paul Terry), one Italian (Lord Ted) & **** Wescott of SA was born in Portugal.

& to make up the XI for Southern African-born Englishmen, Paul Parker (debut 1981) was born in Rhodesia (as was).

EDIT: "****" = popular diminutive of "Richard". :p
Paul Parker - now there's a name I'd forgotten. Also a leading member of the "one-cap-wonder" XI. Blindingly good fielder, but batting not quite up to test standard, IIRC.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Is there a similar thread for immigrants who have played ODIs?

If you included the Associates in this, it would be a fairly lengthy one I reckon.