• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting, Kallis & Dravid .....The show must go on !!!

ManWatKen

Cricket Spectator
Who will win the ultimate race for the most runs scored in Test Cricket.I know the race starts only the day when Tendulkar will end his career, but for now, it is very interesting to see how close the race is between these 3 players.

I know it's not fair to compare the Great Kallis with Ponting or Dravid, considering that Kallis also took some 200 Test wickets as well, but for the comparison we will look only at there batting abilities for now.

At the moment it stands like this:

Ponting
Inn: 175
N.o: 24
Runs: 8792
At Bat: 50.240
Average: 58.225
Rating point: 987.61 / 1000

Dravid
Inn: 169
N.o: 21
Runs: 8553
At Bat: 50.609
Average: 57.791
Rating point: 987.68 / 1000

Kallis
Inn: 170
N.o: 28
Runs: 8011
At Bat: 47.124
Average: 56.415
Rating point: 941.36 / 1000

Considering that Australia is playing more tests / year than Rsa & Ind, i think Ponting will be the winner, but it depends on how long these 3 will carry on.Maybe till they 40

Any thoughts !!!

*PS*: *** All Ratings are based on career stats, and not current form as in the cases of other ratings ***

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ManWatKen said:
Who will win the ultimate race for the most runs scored in Test Cricket.I know the race starts only the day when Tendulkar will end his career, but for now, it is very interesting to see how close the race is between these 3 players.
I wager that Tendulkar will never actually hold that record, so it'd be more likely to go on when Lara ends his career.

oz_fan

International Regular
Ponting, he is already a couple of hundred runs ahead of Kallis and Dravid and considering how much test cricket Australia play he should be able to score the most runs. A lot depends on who can keeps their form going for the next 3 - 4 years because their batting is likely to decline once they reach their mid - thirties.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting is the obvious choice, particularly with the supreme form he's in now and the fact Aus play so much test cricket, but I reckon Kallis has a real good shot just because of the immense consistency he bats with. I can see Ponting declining earlier and in a bigger way than Kallis, since Kallis' game is built much more on technique and patience than Ponting.

That being said, if I had to pick for money I'd go with Ponting.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I wager that Tendulkar will never actually hold that record, so it'd be more likely to go on when Lara ends his career.
I will take some of that wager.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I pick Ponting. I know Kallis is more consistent than him over the years, but so was Tendulkar compared to Lara. SEe what happened there.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I would Pick Ponting myself, with the rich form he is currently in, and along with the number of test matches aussies play, he has a very good chance of this actually happening..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
it will be a great race until they retire for sure, but because Ponting will likely to play more test he should end up on top.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know Marc pushed point quite often before he left the boards (much to my, Pratyush and some others disagreement), but I think its pretty obvious now that Sachin at some point will hold the record. More than likely in 2008. :)

My earlier post in this topic says Ponting is my bet though I wouldn't be surprised to see Kallis get it. I'm pretty confident now that Kallis will end his career with the most test runs.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
I know Marc pushed point quite often before he left the boards (much to my, Pratyush and some others disagreement), but I think its pretty obvious now that Sachin at some point will hold the record. More than likely in 2008. :)

My earlier post in this topic says Ponting is my bet though I wouldn't be surprised to see Kallis get it. I'm pretty confident now that Kallis will end his career with the most test runs.
Why did he leave? I always liked reading his posts.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Still Punter for mine. Kallies has been playing superbly and has made the most of a string of Tests against relatively poor opposition while Punter is having his first slump for quite some time. A big series from Ponting and a minor drop in form from Jacques will put Ponting back on top average-wise, and the sheer weight of Tests Australia are playing over the next 12 months means the volume of his runs are set to increase hugely.