• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Dyson's catch

ian_cricketweb

Cricket Spectator
Does anyone have any photos or video of John Dyson's catch to dismiss Sylvester Clarke in 1982?

Many (me included) consider it to be far and away the best catch ever. That's a big statement, but it's mainly in response to Channel 9's top six video of the "best ever" which has been doing the rounds. (unfortunately that's a 100mb file, and probably copyrighted so I can't post it anywhere). The catches in their top 6 are very impressive, but to not even include Dyson's catch, not even in their collection of other catches outside the top 6, is downright insulting.

I was trying to convince some of the young guys at work who don't remember it, but I don't have any footage to back it up. Anybody got any links for me?

cheers,
Ian

archie mac

International Coach
I don't have any footage sorry, but yes it was a great catch.

I showed the catch to my father, and he said 'his was fielding out of position'8-)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ian_cricketweb said:
:blink:

Clearly that's not my real name. My real name is Ian Baggygreen.
What a brilliant start to a CW posting career. :)

Give that man a skull.

Volty's.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
ian_cricketweb said:
Does anyone have any photos or video of John Dyson's catch to dismiss Sylvester Clarke in 1982?

Many (me included) consider it to be far and away the best catch ever. That's a big statement, but it's mainly in response to Channel 9's top six video of the "best ever" which has been doing the rounds. (unfortunately that's a 100mb file, and probably copyrighted so I can't post it anywhere). The catches in their top 6 are very impressive, but to not even include Dyson's catch, not even in their collection of other catches outside the top 6, is downright insulting.

I was trying to convince some of the young guys at work who don't remember it, but I don't have any footage to back it up. Anybody got any links for me?

cheers,
Ian
firstly-- nice lastname(s):ph34r:
thirdly-- i must tell you about my counting disorder
four hundred and eleventieth -- welcome to CW:)

Swervy

International Captain
ian_cricketweb said:

cheers,
Ian
certainly one of the greatest catches I have ever seen

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> That's a big statement, but it's mainly in response to Channel 9's top six video of the "best ever" which has been doing the rounds.

What were their choices ?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't mean to **** on everyones bon fire, but I consider that to be one of the most overrated things in sports history.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
Mainly because of people saying things like:

Many (me included) consider it to be far and away the best catch ever

My dad also agrees that it's the best catch he's seen. I, however, do not. Im impressed at his ability to take the catch when it was behind him, but thats about it. I've seen bigger leaps, and catches taken with one hand opposed to two. I just throw it in the 'meh' pile.

That's not too say its not a good catch, don't get me wrong. I just find it overrated.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Great catch but like Benchy said 'meh'
Also lovin' that seagull flying past as Yardley bowls

Last edited: