Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: In which year will England win the cricket World Cup

  1. #31
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Agree with everything. but isn't reaching 13 or 15 finals in a row a success ? We did lose most of those finals, but by no means I would count that as poor ODI performance.

    One has to also keep in mind that in a lot of those finals, we met an all time great ODI team.
    No you're correct, and 'sucked in ODIs' was far too harsh asI don't think India were as bad in ODIs from 2002-2005 as the ODI ratings suggested, but that being said they were ranked 7th for a while, and that's poor. They always were a talented ODI team who looked on paper like they were 2nd or 3rd best in the world, and they showed that by often getting into ODI tournament finals, but they just didn't take the grand prize enough unfortunately.

    But you get my point though. India's most successful period in recent times, i.e the Ganguly era, is much more known for its test success than its ODIs.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Maybe I should rephrase. When I say ODI, I mean the WC and other tournaments...but especially WC. Both of us have only anecdotal evidence to back up our claims, but I am certain that a WC victory would be more celebrated in India than any test series win, anywhere, at anytime, against any opponent. Period. I would be suprised if you disagreed with this.
    A WC victory more celebrated in India than any test series win? Yep you'd be right there. But I'd suggest, and I honestly have no way of proving this so this discussion will lead no where, but I suggest that as captain of the Indian team, Rahul Dravid would at least be as happy with an AWAY test series win to Australia than a WC victory. That's just my opinion, but the sheer delight India showed when they came down here to Australia and not only won a test but competed the whole series was amazing.

    A WC win would do wonders for India, and I'm sure the general consensus of fans would appreciate that more than an away test series win over Australia. I'm not so sure Rahul Dravid and the rest of the Indian team would though. It'd be pretty damn close.

    Fact is, a test cap means more than a ODI cap. Not just in Australia and England, in Asia too. And if having the honour to play in a test match for your country means more to one's self than playing in a ODI, surely victory in a test series against the best in the world in their own backyard would at least equal the honour of conquering the world in ODIs?
    Last edited by Jono; 07-05-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  2. #32
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    A WC victory more celebrated in India than any test series win? Yep you'd be right there. But I'd suggest, and I honestly have no way of proving this so this discussion will lead no where, but I suggest that as captain of the Indian team, Rahul Dravid would at least be as happy with an AWAY test series win to Australia than a WC victory. That's just my opinion, but the sheer delight India showed when they came down here to Australia and not only won a test but competed the whole series was amazing.

    I've no doubt that he would much rather have a series victory in Australia than WC. Almost all players do. But frankly, who cares what he thinks? The game isn't played for the players, they're played for the fans. I'm sure some people would enjoy the away victory in Aus more, and for me it would be close.

  3. #33
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Fact is, a test cap means more than a ODI cap. Not just in Australia and England, in Asia too. And if having the honour to play in a test match for your country means more to one's self than playing in a ODI, surely victory in a test series against the best in the world in their own backyard would at least equal the honour of conquering the world in ODIs?
    You are arguing theory. Yes, it is harder to win a test series in AUstralia than it is to win the WC. That does not mean that it is valued more.....

  4. #34
    International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Max Rayne House, London
    Posts
    3,362
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    You are arguing theory. Yes, it is harder to win a test series in AUstralia than it is to win the WC. That does not mean that it is valued more.....
    Oh? Really? Do tell what determines the value of something rather than how hard you have to work it?
    Member of CW RED

    Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions


    Currently Managing: NSW

    Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.


  5. #35
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    You are arguing theory. Yes, it is harder to win a test series in AUstralia than it is to win the WC. That does not mean that it is valued more.....
    It would be in England - that's because we have always looked upon the one-day game as 'not proper cricket', as well as the fact that The Ashes has always been huge and still is.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  6. #36
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,031
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketboy29
    Oh? Really? Do tell what determines the value of something rather than how hard you have to work it?

    Yea, Really. Hat tricks are harder to get than a test win. You tell me which is more valuble, your bowler getting a hat trick or you winning a match?

    If they made a new format of cricket where all players must wear a blindfold while playing cricket, would that new format automatically become more valuble than test cricket, since its 'harder'?

    Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It would be in England - that's because we have always looked upon the one-day game as 'not proper cricket', as well as the fact that The Ashes has always been huge and still is.
    Yup, and Australia too. And probably a couple other countries. I'm just speaking of India.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-05-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Domestic cricket goes live on FOX SPORTS
    By Haddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 08:28 AM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 22-04-2006, 03:25 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
  5. Player of the year awards
    By bugssy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •